Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. Been lurking in the background for a while. Vertical bow hunter for the last 30 years. My shoulders and elbows simply won't take it anymore. So, after much thought, I finally broke down and made my first crossbow purchase. The CAMX A4. I've had it about a month now. Could not be happier so far. I've been asking myself, "why did I wait so long?":) I'm rather hard headed. But, I've crossed over to the dark side and now I'm officially hooked.

Anyway, when doing my research on the CAMX A4, I discovered there's not much video of the bow actually being shot. In fact, I wasn't able to find any. I was actually put off a bit by the fact that there's just not much info out there on the CAMX A4. Lot's of stuff from last year's ATA show, but not much else.

So, I made a short video with the Tactacam attached. Also, this is the first video I've made so forgive the ******* dialect.... I'm no movie producer. Just a country boy that likes to hunt.:cool:

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I think that is great freehand shooting. You'll be putting meat in the freezer with that type of execution.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
37E0F789-DB3C-4958-B4F9-E4A6424D267E.jpeg
I think that is great freehand shooting. You'll be putting meat in the freezer with that type of execution.
Thanks TOTR. Here is a 40 yd group using some Beman replacement arrows I recently bought. Shooting at the middle right dot. They don’t shoot near as consistent as the Accuspines that came with the bow. Gotta shoot at different dots with the Accuspines or I end up busting my arrows up. That’s shooting off a rest of course.

Reactions: SEW and JOE PA

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Let's see the pics if you got them. ;)

This crossbow stuff if fun on the dark side!

Reactions: Caspar

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
View attachment 143212
Thanks TOTR. Here is a 40 yd group using some Beman replacement arrows I recently bought. Shooting at the middle right dot. They don’t shoot near as consistent as the Accuspines that came with the bow. Gotta shoot at different dots with the Accuspines or I end up busting my arrows up. That’s shooting off a rest of course.
That is some crazy shanking to the right there.
The grouping is o.k. but something is up that I don't get.
You were somewhere near the bulls eye on one shot and then everything starts going right. Was the first shot err left? or is the scope in need of adjustment?

I like the tactacam video. What model is that?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is some crazy shanking to the right there.
The grouping is o.k. but something is up that I don't get.
You were somewhere near the bulls eye on one shot and then everything starts going right. Was the first shot err left? or is the scope in need of adjustment?

I like the tactacam video. What model is that?
I was shooting the middle dot all the way to the right. So, it's actually grouping a little to the left with the Beman arrows for some reason. With the Accuspine arrows it's pretty much on the money. There is one Accuspine in that group though, its the one with the red nock almost touching the bulls eye. It's the only one I have left of the four that came with the bow as I busted the others up (before I learned to shoot at different dots). I'm gonna leave the scope alone and buy more of the Accuspine's. They are expensive, $60 for four, but are WAY more accurate from my limited testing. Beman's are $28 for four at my local pro shop.

Again, I'm new to this cross bow thing. Is it normal for different brand arrows to have different point of impact? Seems odd.

That is the Tactacam 4.0 Gun Package. I can't wait to get some turkey footage using it!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I was shooting the middle dot all the way to the right. So, it's actually grouping a little to the left with the Beman arrows for some reason. With the Accuspine arrows it's pretty much on the money. There is one Accuspine in that group though, its the one with the red nock almost touching the bulls eye. It's the only one I have left of the four that came with the bow as I busted the others up (before I learned to shoot at different dots). I'm gonna leave the scope alone and buy more of the Accuspine's. They are expensive, $60 for four, but are WAY more accurate from my limited testing. Beman's are $28 for four at my local pro shop.

Again, I'm new to this cross bow thing. Is it normal for different brand arrows to have different point of impact? Seems odd.

That is the Tactacam 4.0 Gun Package. I can't wait to get some turkey footage using it!
I have the 4 myself. Didn't get a lot of time to use it this year but looking forward to it.

I have seen differences in arrows for sure. Just like I did with the compound. You can buy the best and if they are too weak/stiff, it will show. Tapp Nation is a place worth taking a look at. The owner can take years off the learning curve when it comes to selecting the proper bolts for the crossbow you are using. He is on here a lot. PM him and he will probably save you a lot of money in the long run. As opposed to doing the trial and error thing. ;)

Reactions: SEW

·
5,025 Posts
Your shooting is excellent as is your choice of xbow. I second the Tapp Nation suggestion and you’ll save some money.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your shooting is excellent as is your choice of xbow. I second the Tapp Nation suggestion and you’ll save some money.
Many thanks for the complement and Tapp Nation suggestion. I'm headed to Texas for some turkey hunting soon. Need to stock up on some arrows before I go!

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A3531E25-7196-4261-BBAC-258192158E0E.jpeg
1916F3C7-B96E-4EDF-BAE0-081580AA9884.jpeg
Here is how I have the Tactacam mounted to the A4 using the gun mount. Installation is a snap. Very sturdy/stable when installed.

Also shot a few arrows through my chronograph using the supplied Accuspine arrows. CAMX advertises 370 FPS. Some serious truth in advertising here. I believe the bow can do a little better. I may have been a little too close to the chronograph when this reading was taken.

·
5,025 Posts
370 is a very practical speed, imo. I hunted for years with a 125# PSE Foxfire shooting 210’/sec(145g BHs), manual rangefinders (Ranging 1000, Spectrum 500) , lots of pins, ranges out to 60 yards. No losses. Incidentally, the arrows were virtually silent. I think that really helped.
Speed’s nice but accuracy and a quiet arrow is vital.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts