Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm more or less looking for a backup bow to my Horton Storm and with my wife out of town, I figured this would be a good day to go to my local shop and try out a few. I saw where they had the Ravin R10 on sale for $1099 and since that has been a bow I've been closely looking at, I was pretty interested. I shot the R10 and was very impressed with the trigger and the balance of the bow, which is something I was mildly surprised with since it's a forward facing bow. While I really like the idea of being able to uncock the bow I was a little less impressed with the cocking device. Compared to my accudraw i think it would take a little getting used to. Not that I couldn't but it's just different. It was pretty smooth shooting but had a little more recoil than what I'm used to in a crossbow and was also a little on the loud side at the shot. I give it an overall grade of B+

Next up was the Mission Sub 1 Lite. Again, I was fairly impressed with the trigger and how smooth it shot. There was nearly no recoil and I didn't notice it being as loud as the Ravin. This particular bow did not have a cocking device, and I don't know if one is available, so I can't make a judgement on that. Priced at $1599, I doubt if I would be interested in this bow based purely on the price. Overall grade is a solid B.

The last bow I shot was the Barnett TS370 and I've gotta say I was more than pleased, and actually very surprised with this bow. It came with a trigger tech trigger that was very crisp and shooting the bow was very pleasant. I was most impressed with the trigger. The bow had great balance for a forward facing bow and was very smooth at the shot. I was also surprised at the adjustable butt stock because most bows I have seen with this feature are very sloppy and noisy. This absolutely was not the case with the Barnett. It was solid, adjusted easily, and didn't seem to have any play in it. I really liked this feature on this bow. One thing I absolutely did not like about the bow was the cocking mechanism. I really don't think I could ever get used to it. I've never even considered a Barnett but after shooting this one I definitely am reconsidering my opinion. I just wish the cocking device was better. Priced at $370 it is definitely a contender. Overall grade was an A-

So what say you all, do any of you have experience with any of the bows listed here? Or I'm also open to other suggestions. Oh, and I also did something really stupid while I was there. I picked up a vertical recurve and drew it. Now my shoulder is killing me and I'm reminded of not only why I switched to a crossbow, but also of how old I am!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

·
Registered
316 Posts
So I'm more or less looking for a backup bow to my Horton Storm and with my wife out of town, I figured this would be a good day to go to my local shop and try out a few. I saw where they had the Ravin R10 on sale for $1099 and since that has been a bow I've been closely looking at, I was pretty interested. I shot the R10 and was very impressed with the trigger and the balance of the bow, which is something I was mildly surprised with since it's a forward facing bow. While I really like the idea of being able to uncock the bow I was a little less impressed with the cocking device. Compared to my accudraw i think it would take a little getting used to. Not that I couldn't but it's just different. It was pretty smooth shooting but had a little more recoil than what I'm used to in a crossbow and was also a little on the loud side at the shot. I give it an overall grade of B+

Next up was the Mission Sub 1 Lite. Again, I was fairly impressed with the trigger and how smooth it shot. There was nearly no recoil and I didn't notice it being as loud as the Ravin. This particular bow did not have a cocking device, and I don't know if one is available, so I can't make a judgement on that. Priced at $1599, I doubt if I would be interested in this bow based purely on the price. Overall grade is a solid B.

The last bow I shot was the Barnett TS370 and I've gotta say I was more than pleased, and actually very surprised with this bow. It came with a trigger tech trigger that was very crisp and shooting the bow was very pleasant. I was most impressed with the trigger. The bow had great balance for a forward facing bow and was very smooth at the shot. I was also surprised at the adjustable butt stock because most bows I have seen with this feature are very sloppy and noisy. This absolutely was not the case with the Barnett. It was solid, adjusted easily, and didn't seem to have any play in it. I really liked this feature on this bow. One thing I absolutely did not like about the bow was the cocking mechanism. I really don't think I could ever get used to it. I've never even considered a Barnett but after shooting this one I definitely am reconsidering my opinion. I just wish the cocking device was better. Priced at $370 it is definitely a contender. Overall grade was an A-

So what say you all, do any of you have experience with any of the bows listed here? Or I'm also open to other suggestions. Oh, and I also did something really stupid while I was there. I picked up a vertical recurve and drew it. Now my shoulder is killing me and I'm reminded of not only why I switched to a crossbow, but also of how old I am!

I have the sub-1 lite and you don’t need a crank for that bow. It has 80% let off cams. That is one of several reasons I chose the sub-1 lite, it’s very easy to rope cock.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Pastorjim:
A few things to take note of on the Barnett crossbow:
1)Barnett's website says the crossbow is cocking device compatible but one requires the adapter. I do not have this series but do shoot the Ghost 410, Barnett Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite and the Barnett Droptine STR. These crossbows accept the Barnett Crank Cocking Device that fits lower in the stock. Cocking with this device which is nice but as one nears the fully cocked position a lot of downward pressure is put on the bow string and serving.
If using a crank cocking device, one wants one that pulls straight back, like the rope cocker.

2)in the uncocked position look from one cam to the other along the bowstring. If the bow string humps up as it crosses the rail, this is a manufacture fault where, like the Barnett crossbows I mention. The riser needs shims to get rid of that extra downward pressure which is very hard on the arrow-latch serving area.

3)most crossbows are not properly tuned to match the advertised arrow-point weight that the crossbow was shooting in feet per second, even taking into consideration if an over weight arrow-point combination is used.

4)the narrower width crossbows are limited for speed due to a narrower riser and shorter limbs. This works okay in a hunting situation (blind or tree stand), but a down fault for longer range target shooting. The faster the bow, the flatter the arrow trajectory.

Note: a crossbow with an extendable stock is nice if one is wearing heavier clothing, then the temperature warms up or vice versa, the stock length can be adjusted.

The crank cocking system can be a bonus if one wishes to sell the crossbow later or even for health reasons.

All the best with what ever you choose.

·
6,259 Posts
If I were looking for a new crossbow, today, I’d be willing to look at an upper line Barnett and forget about the Wildcat I had 33 years ago.
FWIW, I was part of conducting a NASP tournament from 7:30 to 2 PM today. Our team won!:)

I just came in from my pond levy where I just shot for about 20 minutes with my newish 33# Left Handed(eyed) recurve. I switched from R to L last year. A whole new lease on life. If, by chance, you’re other eyed than handed, the switch is well worth it.
If your timeframe permits, consider the SWAT XP.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

·
Registered
7,906 Posts

Make not mistake about it. I've owned more than enough Xbows over last three years and gotta say the Barnett TS370 is legit. It goes to another level if you add 1/16 to 1/8" shims between the riser and the shooting rail and you will have zero bow string pressure on the shooting rail. That will yield significant center serving longevity. This was a bunnyrabbit discovery over on the Barnett forum. They guy constantly thinks outside the box. He has my respect.

I've now have 110 shots on my TS370 with this shim fix and the servings look brand new! Also, it shoots legit 400 grain arrows 368-369fps second and PJ, you are spot on with trigger tech. Very high end.

As for the cocking comment. If you are referring to Barnett's CCD I cannot relate. I'm still a manual rope cocker with my Xbows. If you are manual rope cocker this is the easiest Xbow I've ever cocked. There is actually let off 2/3 way through the rope cocking sequence like a vertical bow. That is my personal experience. Fit and finish on the rail stock is legit and this is a compact shooter. Not like the newer 9" Xbows but it's more compact than people realize.

I have no affiliation with Barnett but this is one Xbow they got right out of the box and it has high end features with a lightweight price tag.

It's my go to Xbow with addition of Excalibur DeadZone Speed scope. What a combo! You can pick that scope up on Ebay for $50 if you look around.

FYI: I just purchased a 2020 BearX Constrictor. It's a speedy narrow limb Xbow but it has big shoes to fill for it to replace my TS370. Also, I just purchased a TS370 for a good friend to get into hunting. That's how much I'm impressed with this Xbow.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make not mistake about it. I've owned more than enough Xbows over last three years and gotta say the Barnett TS370 is legit. It goes to another level if you add 1/16 to 1/8" shims between the riser and the shooting rail and you will have zero bow string pressure on the shooting rail. That will yield significant center serving longevity. This was a bunnyrabbit discovery over on the Barnett forum. They guy constantly thinks outside the box. He has my respect.

I've now have 110 shots on my TS370 with this shim fix and the servings look brand new! Also, it shoots legit 400 grain arrows 368-369fps second and PJ, you are spot on with trigger tech. Very high end.

As for the cocking comment. If you are referring to Barnett's CCD I cannot relate. I'm still a manual rope cocker with my Xbows. If you are manual rope cocker this is the easiest Xbow I've ever cocked. There is actually let off 2/3 way through the rope cocking sequence like a vertical bow. That is my personal experience. Fit and finish on the rail stock is legit and this is a compact shooter. Not like the newer 9" Xbows but it's more compact than people realize.

I have no affiliation with Barnett but this is one Xbow they got right out of the box and it has high end features with a lightweight price tag.

It's my go to Xbow with addition of Excalibur DeadZone Speed scope. What a combo! You can pick that scope up on Ebay for $50 if you look around.

FYI: I just purchased a 2020 BearX Constrictor. It's a speedy narrow limb Xbow but it has big shoes to fill for it to replace my TS370. Also, I just purchased a TS370 for a good friend to get into hunting. That's how much I'm impressed with this Xbow.
I had already decided that if I go with that bow I am definitely not getting the cocking mechanism. I did not cock it by hand when I was there but when I go back I will try it out. So my next question may sound really stupid but what are these shims I see so much written about on here. I understand they are to prevent the string from having too much contact with the rail (right?) but I don't know what they look like or where they go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
PJ,

See link leblow.

All credit goes to Bunnyrabbit. I have pics that shows you what I did to the TS370. I have pics that shows the shims. Regardless, good luck with your next purchase.

One thing to look for with all Xbows are the amount of bow string pressure on the shooting rail. Nemesis example has a forum on this issues. Good luck regardless what you do.

FYI: It's not that the TS370 is bad this fix just makes the Xbow better.

https://www.crossbownation.com/comm...370-reduce-bowstring-to-rail-pressure.102416/

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,753 Posts
I had already decided that if I go with that bow I am definitely not getting the cocking mechanism. I did not cock it by hand when I was there but when I go back I will try it out. So my next question may sound really stupid but what are these shims I see so much written about on here. I understand they are to prevent the string from having too much contact with the rail (right?) but I don't know what they look like or where they go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The shims are a DIY project Pastor. They don't sale them separately nor will the clerk at the shop have any idea of what your talking about if you ask him. It's a modification that would probably void the warranty.

·
13,182 Posts
Nice work folks ...

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
So I'm more or less looking for a backup bow to my Horton Storm and with my wife out of town, I figured this would be a good day to go to my local shop and try out a few.

Yesterday my wife went with our daughter and granddaughter to a dance completion about 70 miles away.

At the same time I met a guy in the Cabelas parking lot and bought a Sub-1 XR outfit for $900. ;)

I do my best shopping when she’s gone. And I find it easier to work on crossbows on the kitchen table when she’s gone as well.o_O

Gun Air gun Airsoft Shooting sport Shooting

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yesterday my wife went with our daughter and granddaughter to a dance completion about 70 miles away.

At the same time I met a guy in the Cabelas parking lot and bought a Sub-1 XR outfit for $900. ;)

I do my best shopping when she’s gone. And I find it easier to work on crossbows on the kitchen table when she’s gone as well.o_O

View attachment 164696
You got a bargain!!

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
The shims are a DIY project Pastor. They don't sale them separately nor will the clerk at the shop have any idea of what your talking about if you ask him. It's a modification that would probably void the warranty.
common sense will tell you to remove them for warranty work to not to void warranty. Just like adding 3rd party bow strings to a bow will void the warranty. Potato/pototo. ;)

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,753 Posts

View attachment 164696
Nice purchase Tim !

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
common sense will tell you to remove them for warranty work to not to void warranty. Just like adding 3rd party bow strings to a bow will void the warranty. Potato/pototo. ;)
Also, your talking about a modification to the actual integrity of the bow, changing the functionality from the way the manufacturer intended. A string/cable change will not interfere with the geometrical specifications of the bow as long as they are made within specifications to the bow. It actually does not disregard the warranty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.