Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in "Off Topic" since not crossbow related but I know we have these hunters on the forum. I have read several of the past history posts concerning scope recommendations for shotguns. I am wanting recommendations on what is currently available, (still manufactured), and preferably "Tried and True" by the users. The mounting will be on 20 gauge, 12 gauge, and 50 caliber Muzzle loaders. Longest range would probably be 150 yard. Can be set magnification or variable. What has withstood the test of time for you? Thank you for your feedback and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Crazy Ol' Foole
2,765 Posts
Look into Athlon Optics or Primary Arms LPVOs. An LPVO typically has long enough eye relief to be safe on heavy recoiling guns, and on 1X with both eyes open target acquisition is fast like a RDS.
You also have several reticles to choose from, and they are all IR. I imagine that a 1-4x would be good, but 1-6x might be your preference. Neither should break the bank.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been using a Simmons ProDiamond shotgun scope on my Mossberg 835 for years, Out to 65 yards just put the diamond on their head and pull the trigger and they just flop around.
Yes, I know several who have that scope and it has held up to the recoil well, but it is shown as "Manufacturer Discontinued".

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look into Athlon Optics or Primary Arms LPVOs. An LPVO typically has long enough eye relief to be safe on heavy recoiling guns, and on 1X with both eyes open target acquisition is fast like a RDS.
You also have several reticles to choose from, and they are all IR. I imagine that a 1-4x would be good, but 1-6x might be your preference. Neither should break the bank.
Thanks, I'll check into these. Eye Relief is a major concern as I have been busted 3 different occasions. My nose is crooked from these encounters and scar tissue upon scar tissue, same place. I like eye relief, the more the merrier.

Reactions: Old Longhair

·
Registered
15,761 Posts

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I've had a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 circle X scope on my Remington 1100 for years. Rarely use it but it's held up well and decent scope for the money.

I miss spoke earlier, it's on my Rem 870 Magnum.....Not sure what the eye relief was, but it's a ton.

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Air gun Shotgun Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've had a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 circle X scope on my Remington 1100 for years. Rarely use it but it's held up well and decent scope for the money.

I miss spoke earlier, it's on my Rem 870 Magnum.....Not sure what the eye relief was, but it's a ton.

View attachment 212317

View attachment 212318
I have had a 1.75-4x32 bushnell circle x on a 3" 12 gauge turkey gun for 7 or 8 years with not a single problem. But unless I am just missing it somewhere it appears to be discontinued.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My only shotgun scope is an older Redfield widefield 1 3/4X5 power. It is the older original quality Redfield's. Had it on my Remington 1100 12ga. for years with no problems. Actually one time when hunting, I was lowering the gun from my 16' treestand when the sling swivel broke and the guns fell to the frozen ground with a crash. I expected the scope to be garbage. but upon inspection and resighting , no damage and surprisingly the sights were still dead on. I can't help much on info for current scopes, but one word of caution if you are looking for longer range shotgun shooting with slugs with a scope, know the twist rate of your riffled barrel and what grain slugs you can shoot at longer ranges As an example, my Remington 1100 has a slower twist rate so I can not shoot the lighter faster fps sabots with any accuracy at 75 yards. However I have some discontinued Winchester Platinum tip sabots at 400 gr weight. I can accurately shoot them to 175 yards. Again, not much knowledge on current scopes, as I haven't been in the scope buying need for years. I will say that I have heard so much good about vortex optics, that would be the first place I would look. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I've used the same Bushnell 1.5x-5x Circle-X in MO BU camo on my 11-87 rifled cantilever for over 20 years, it has never lost zero even with seasonal barrel changes. out the farthest I've used it even @ 165 yards, it just works. I have wished for more power at that distance, but it did the job, and in the hardwoods for fast shots at running deer is where that reticle and lower power with its field of view really makes it the right scope for a deer shotgun, for me anyways.

I haven't used it fer nearly a decade, but I just can't part with it.
Wood Art Tablecloth Linens Embellishment

Reactions: aporter1608

·
Registered
112 Posts
I posted this in "Off Topic" since not crossbow related but I know we have these hunters on the forum. I have read several of the past history posts concerning scope recommendations for shotguns. I am wanting recommendations on what is currently available, (still manufactured), and preferably "Tried and True" by the users. The mounting will be on 20 gauge, 12 gauge, and 50 caliber Muzzle loaders. Longest range would probably be 150 yard. Can be set magnification or variable. What has withstood the test of time for you? Thank you for your feedback and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
You stated this quite well. No use talking about a product you can't buy today.

I don't want small twigs looking like tree trunks when looking through a scope. If want to find a deer or turkey fast, I want a low power scope. I would never purchase a scope that starts over 2 power for a deer rifle or turkey scope. I would rather use open sights than have a high powered scope on my hunting rifle or turkey shotgun.

I don't have these scopes, but this is what I would buy if I needed to replace or purchase a scope tomorrow -

Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20mm Pig-Plex part #174177
Leupold VX®-Freedom® 2-7x33mm Hunt-Plex part #180592
Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20mm MOA-Ring part #180590
Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x28mm IER Scout Duplex part #175074
Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5x20mm CDS-ZL Duplex part #180615
Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm Duplex part #171386

If money is not an issue, the VX-5HD 2-10x42 Duplex would go on my deer rifle. My brother threw that question at me a couple years ago, and this is the scope on his deer rifle. The VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm would be my today's best value choice for a deer rifle. For turkeys, I would probably focus on the other choices.

If you want to find game fast, I am a firm believer in low power. I taught middle school science for 30+ years. My students NEVER found a specimen using high power first. I really do mean "NEVER". You find the whatever critter you are looking for in low power and then gently switch over to high power and use the fine adjustment knob to focus it in.

In some ways, a rifle or shotgun scope is no different. If you want to find a deer running through the woods, give me a 1-2 power scope. If my scope doesn't drop down that low, I would remove it & use open sight or a bead. I know 3-9 power scopes are the most popular, but you would never find one on my guns.

I watched to many relatives struggle to find deer in their higher powered scopes (over decades) while those with low power scopes kill things with ease!

I may have over listed choices above, but it may be a matter of what's available these days.

P.S. I don't own a Leupold scope, & I am not brand loyalty type of guy. These are the scopes I would buy today or in the future. I do have a Redfield scope on my Tikka deer rifle and the VX-Freedom have sort replaced the Redfield scope (which was dropped). I have some Nikon & Bushnell scopes from the past, but I wouldn't go back to those.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I'm using a Vortex Venom on my Turkey Gun.......Love it!
I have an extra Vortex XBR I'm thinking seriously about putting on my Slug gun.....

Reactions: aporter1608

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not meaning to hijack but has anyone installed a scope on a BPS? My boy has one and a scope and mount would make a nice Christmas gift.
Thanks
Oncebitten
Before I would drill and tap the receiver, I would replace the barrel with the cantilever style. This would allow the Browning Pump Shotgun to be easily used for other means if wanted.

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

View attachment 212317

View attachment 212318
Not too long ago I bought an 870 Wingmaster Magnum in a 12 gauge from a gentleman. He was talking to me about getting too old to see very well, he hadn't hunted in many years but wished he had, and he had too many guns in his safes, some that he had never had the chance to use because they were for other game outside of where we live. He had offered to sell it to a young hunter but when the youngster saw it, he told his dad he didn't want it because he wanted a shotgun with the camo print all over it. He offered it to me if I was interested for the same price he offered it to them, $275. Well, I immediately asked if I could see the gun and purchased it right away. No marks, no rust, no scratches, pristine condition. I had Remington get me the manufacture information from the serial number and also from the stamp codes on the barrel since the barrels are interchangeable. The receiver unit came back as November of 1977 with the barrel indicating 1977 also. It's now in my gun safe awaiting some chances to be used or just admired at its beauty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts