Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I pulled my wife's KI Bone Collector 370 crossbow. It was purchased brand new last year and she hunted with it, excellent bow accurate, light, easy to cock etc. Bow has been waxed and lubed regularly and shot roughly 50 times.

Well I was looking over everything and I noticed the serving on a cable looks a little separated it's not on the end it's in the middle where there is some string you can see it the gap. Should I immediately replace them, watch them to see if it gets worse, or it's fine don't worry.
20200823_152230.jpg

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Well, it's not goung to get any better, it's just goung to get progressively worse the more you shoot it. It's okay for now. I don't see any immediate danger with it shooting like that but you will definatly wint to get them replaced soon.
I'll bet the string/cables elongated some while, like you said, sat inactive for awhile. That's what happens. The strings will sit under tension and elongate and with elongation comes thinning. They thinned out and the servings lost their grip....

Edit : you didn't say that it sat unused, I'm assuming....? Sorry....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's a perfectly good explanation and yes the bow say unused in a case being completely untouched in a climate controlled room. Guess I'll watch it and maybe we can get by this year and after bow season we will get it redone. If it doesn't last that long my wife can always use the backup bow she told me we didn't need and should sell.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've had that same problem with strings on my vertical bows and once on a crossbow string. Doesn't look good but if the strands under the serving are not cut or damaged in any way, you don't really have to be in a hurry to get new strings or cables.
I recall using my old Mathews bow for the whole deer with the string looking like that.

·
211 Posts
With only 50 shots and 1 year old Just get both cables re served ... The bows probably due for a tune-up anyway...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The strings aren't cut or damaged in any way. My wife shot it 6 or 7 times to get her Ravin take off scope zero'd at 20 yards. After each and every shot it was carefully inspected and shows no sign of any wear. I'll keep a very close eye on it and maybe it'll make it this coming season. How'd she do at 20 yards? Gotta go to a friends house and shoot it out to 50 yards with broadheads.
20200823_191325.jpg

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Not where it goes into the cams....but rub those servings down a little with a dab of SuperGlue immediately wiping it off with a paper towel after applying. Let it dry and you should get by with it this year.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I was told the same thing 6 years ago about these,,, CATASTROPHIC FAILURE IN THE MAKING!!!!!

Today the same limbs and well over 5000 shots later, lost count around 3000, and over a dozen deer with a couple fine bucks, I'm still waiting for that catastrophic failure,, and smiling everytime I pull the trigger!!!

Still driving tacks out to 50 yards, and now getting even more use being used on two rails, a 380 and a 330!

I broke that sucker off and sanded it smooth, and refuse to chance getting this good a set limbs until they show me a real reason to replace them! My limbs are what many counted as failures on the Excalibur,, as you see bellow, I consider them up for my task!! But you do what makes you fell confident in your equipment,, this is just how I feel confident in mine!

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
211 Posts
It's just routein maintenance to re-serve a cable Whats this have to do with a splinter on a recurve..?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts