Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to use this thread to say Thanks! to HORNS-A-PLENTY for the posts he made back in early June about the "special mix" that he uses to enhance his bait pile. When I first read his post I thought I'll have to remember to try that during the late season here in Michigan. I had the week off between the holidays so I thought I would but it to the test. As you have probably figured out by now, it works.
The neighbors north and east of me have large acreage on which they have food plots as well as bait piles while I only have ten acres on which to hunt. The last couple of years the daytime deer sightings have gone way down compared to what it was five or more years ago because of these neighbors. The deer are still there but we only know it by night time trail cam pictures, so the early season has not been very productive. Once the gun season ends, there's not as much pressure and the deer relax a little bit, but once there's a couple of inches of snow on the ground the deer become much more active. I've found bait, especially corn and sugar beets will draw them but the neighbors food plots still hold the main attraction. Thus the "special mix" of sugar, salt and cherry kool-aid. I mixed it up and put it in a clean and dried milk jug and sprinkled it over the beets and corn. You didn't have to be a deer to smell that cherry kool-aid. Sometime between putting it out on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning the trail cam showed they found it. That morning I took a large doe and in the evening another large doe. The second doe came in about 5:05pm and stood facing me at about 18 yards at the far end of a eight foot line of corn mixed with beets. She stood there till 5:20pm most of the time eating the "pink" snow from the kool-aid dust from when I sprinkled it on the bait, that's when it really paid off buying that Scorpyd DS this year - holding it at the semi-ready for twenty minutes before she finally turned broadside. I was hopeing to fill my third tag and stay longer but I was also trying to balance my time between hunting and family time. The two does are donated to my brother-in-laws church that puts on a Buck(doe)/wild game dinner every March for about 380 people (so they need a few deer).
Again, Thanks for the tip HORNS-A-PLENTY, maybe this will help someone next season or those still finishing up this one. Best of luck for your 2018 season.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
5 pounds sugar 1 container of salt and 10 packs of cherry koolaide I got this one using it
PART_1447904010383_IMG_20151115_092534.jpg
\
PART_1447904010383_IMG_20151115_092534.jpg

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
When you say 1 container of salt are you referring to a box (@ 59 cents worth at a grocery store)?

Reactions: Educator

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Yes, just one container of common table salt.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
rlandendb and rit -- so glad you all got into it with the mix. It will definitely draw more deer into your spot -- and it is cheap and easy. I mix mine in a plastic ice cream tub -- and one batch is enough for two uses.

...this is why I'm on here -- to help others and learn some new things myself -- I will have a couple of new items for discussion soon.

rlandendb -- so awesome that many others will benefit and enjoy from your efforts!

BEST to all in the new year!

Horns

1 - 6 of 6 Posts