1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum,
i'm kinda torn which bow to get.

Here are my thoughts:

Recurve xbow: Excalibur GRZ2 ("only" 200 lbs draw weight, might be possible to cock without cocking aid, simple design, easy to maintain), or used older models (saw the Excal Phoenix for example, but it seems bigger than the Matrix)

Compound xbow: Barnett XP370 ( faster reload/lower draw weight, higher speed/not as loud, might be better for self defense, more things to break, harder to maintain)

Long term SHTF: takedown recurve bow (40-50 pounds) and learn how to make arrows.

Thoughts?
thanks

·
Crossbow Nut
2,794 Posts
Everyone will laugh, but if I could only have 1 weapon in your scenario, it would be the Man Kung 150 or 175 draw recurve. It is bombproof. It can be strung without stringing aids or bow presses. Strings can be made out of almost any scrap fibrous material. I made one out of dental floss once, just to prove it. Arrows can be made out of a number of scrap or natural materials. I have also proved several times that they will kill deer efficiently.
Of course, a gun is always the preferred weapon, but nothing draws attention like gunfire and in your scenario, the crossbow can preserve your anonymity and not reveal your position.
Now, in everyday use, I enjoy my modern, powerful crossbows, but they need a lot of support apparatus, especially if they need tuning or other attention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, Jack. A friend of mine recommended me a similar recurve xbow as well. I'm really tempted to get one of those. Low cost is a plus, too. I hope that I will never need it and xbows are banned for hunting where I live so it would really be for SHTF only. Any inexpensive scope/bolt/hunting tip recommendations as well?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Everyone will laugh, but if I could only have 1 weapon in your scenario, it would be the Man Kung 150 or 175 draw recurve. It is bombproof. It can be strung without stringing aids or bow presses. Strings can be made out of almost any scrap fibrous material. I made one out of dental floss once, just to prove it. Arrows can be made out of a number of scrap or natural materials. I have also proved several times that they will kill deer efficiently.
I like your "out of the box" thinking, Jack Pine, excellent and thanks for fueling my imagination!
:cool:
Hey forum,
i'm kinda torn which bow to get.

Here are my thoughts:

Recurve xbow: Excalibur GRZ2 ("only" 200 lbs draw weight, might be possible to cock without cocking aid, simple design, easy to maintain), or used older models (saw the Excal Phoenix for example, but it seems bigger than the Matrix)

Compound xbow: Barnett XP370 ( faster reload/lower draw weight, higher speed/not as loud, might be better for self defense, more things to break, harder to maintain)

Long term SHTF: takedown recurve bow (40-50 pounds) and learn how to make arrows.

Thoughts?
thanks
Hi xbowbuerger and welcome.
I'd say you made a nice, practical selection of 3 SHTF scenario weapons to have.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
SHTF?!?

·
Banned
5,272 Posts
Sh$t hits the fan?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
LOL:) OK!

·
Crossbow Nut
2,794 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Jack. A friend of mine recommended me a similar recurve xbow as well. I'm really tempted to get one of those. Low cost is a plus, too. I hope that I will never need it and xbows are banned for hunting where I live so it would really be for SHTF only. Any inexpensive scope/bolt/hunting tip recommendations as well?
The MKs I have are the MK150A3b models, 2 of them and enough parts to assemble another, or maintain them for as long as I need to be concerned about it.
I shoot Easton aluminum XX75 in size 2018 (8mm diameter) I make myself, or I sometimes buy the cheapie Taiwan arrows, but they are soft aluminum and bend easily. I have one of the bows set up to shoot fish, and I use 8mm fiberglass shafts I made out of driveway marker rods for arrows, with an AMS "jug" reel for retrieval. Red dot sight on that one, and scope on the other. Sight is pretty much a personal choice.
2 things I recommend for every shooter is, learn to make your arrows, and make your own strings. Flemish twist strings need no jig or special equipment to make, you just need to know how to do it. Materials can be scavenged from old pieces of rope, fishing line, etc. Arrows from hollow tent supports, aluminum TV antenna sections, tree whips, and all sorts of other stuff. Start out with good arrows and strings and look for ways to improvise when needed.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
The MKs I have are the MK150A3b models, 2 of them and enough parts to assemble another, or maintain them for as long as I need to be concerned about it.
I shoot Easton aluminum XX75 in size 2018 (8mm diameter) I make myself, or I sometimes buy the cheapie Taiwan arrows, but they are soft aluminum and bend easily. I have one of the bows set up to shoot fish, and I use 8mm fiberglass shafts I made out of driveway marker rods for arrows, with an AMS "jug" reel for retrieval. Red dot sight on that one, and scope on the other. Sight is pretty much a personal choice.
2 things I recommend for every shooter is, learn to make your arrows, and make your own strings. Flemish twist strings need no jig or special equipment to make, you just need to know how to do it. Materials can be scavenged from old pieces of rope, fishing line, etc. Arrows from hollow tent supports, aluminum TV antenna sections, tree whips, and all sorts of other stuff. Start out with good arrows and strings and look for ways to improvise when needed.
I think that's really interesting stuff that you build your arrows and strings out of scrap materials or other resources... did you really use dental floss to make a string !?

·
Crossbow Nut
2,794 Posts
I think that's really interesting stuff that you build your arrows and strings out of scrap materials or other resources... did you really use dental floss to make a string !?
LOL I don't make a habit of it, my bows have me spoiled, just saying that in xbowbuerger's scenario, a total societal collapse, some of the stuff we love might not be functional for long and we might have to scrounge to find materials. Yes, I think I still have that floss string somewhere. I don't recommend that material, it's stretchy, but I just wanted to see if it could be done.
I'd want a gun, but there are times a gun wouldn't be my #1 option.

·
Crossbow Nut
2,794 Posts
Found it! Dirty from handling and yellowed from age but still functional.

20200525_070649.jpg

My Flemish twist string to fit an MK150A3B, made out of dental floss. Workable but only recommended if nothing else is available.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Found it!

View attachment 177170

My Flemish twist string to fit an MK150A3B, made out of dental floss. Workable but only recommended if nothing else is available.
Incredible, good stuff!
Hey, is that a piece of meat stuck in there?
LOL, JK!

Reactions: Jack Pine

·
Crossbow Nut
2,794 Posts
Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
575 Posts

·
8,125 Posts
All due ... respect but if you wind up in a SHTF scenario you can take that crossbow and stick it where the sun don't shine. Who exactly will a crossbow protect you from? Certainly not a gang of determined, drugged-up, ARMED looters, rapists, and murderers. Nor from a pack of marauding dogs. Nor from the invading Islamics/Russians/Chinese or evil-du-jour. If I seriously wanted to protect myself and family and I lived in a country that had usurped my rights to self protection; I'd find myself an AR15, M16, or AK47 or at least some 9mm handgun.:) I'd stash it, hide it in a wall, under the floorboards, wherever, and start collecting ammunition over the next decade or so. But that's just me.

You want a crossbow to shoot squirrels, cats, rats or dogs for food during this projected zombie apocalypse that's fine. But if you have some misguided idea to use it for self defense, pick one that you can jury-rig a bayonet mount onto because after the one and only shot you could get off you'll be using it as a club or spear. :rolleyes:

·
Crossbow Nut
2,794 Posts
Good advice of course, but probably not possible considering where he lives. We do the best we can with what we have to work with.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
SHTF weapon of choice for me if I could only pick one.....Ruger 10/22! Super reliable,deadly and ammo takes up little space! I have two set up with enough ammo that i'd rather not say it here,LOL.
No way I'd fiddle with a crossbow in that situation......

·
8,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
SHTF weapon of choice for me if I could only pick one.....Ruger 10/22! Super reliable,deadly and ammo takes up little space! I have two set up with enough ammo that i'd rather not say it here,LOL.
No way I'd fiddle with a crossbow in that situation......
Agreed, love my Ruger 10/22 with 10-shot clip!
But, the xbow has it's place for stealth, being somewhat quieter and no muzzle flash at night.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts