Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Different countries, different laws. I can't just walk into a store and buy a firearm. I agree that they are the best though.
Agreed, love my Ruger 10/22 with 10-shot clip!
But, the xbow has it's place for stealth, being somewhat quieter and no muzzle flash at night.
10 round? Is that all? I have a couple 50 rounders and countless 25 rounders put back! Just for fun though......;):D

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
453 Posts
Long term SHTF ...
What exactly is your SHTF scenario ?
I mean, somewhere between "Tornado hits the neigborhood and cuts power for a few days" and an "all-out nuclear war".
With increasing levels of severeness, a higher level of maintenance and repair autonomy is required.
Carbon shafts and mechanical broadheads are problematic ...

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Reactions: Tnmtns

·
Crossbow Nut
3,124 Posts
Those of us here with easy access to guns can't really grasp what it's like in the UK and other places.
When I first joined the forum, someone posted an article from a UK newspaper about someone who found a live .22 round. Not a gun, just the shell. You wouldn't believe the panic it caused! I tried to find the original post, but it must have been purged along with other old stuff. They had that shell cradled in cotton batting so it wouldn't explode! They had a guy holding it like he was posing withh a trophy deer! Those people are conditioned to panic over crap like this!
Couldn't find the post but found some bits and pieces and references to that same, or similar article.
This is not a laughing matter, this is us if we don't defeat the demonicrats.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8805022.22-bullet-found-in-fossgate-york/

Don't think it can't happen here, that's what they thought.

·
8,915 Posts
Those of us here with easy access to guns can't really grasp what it's like in the UK and other places.
When I first joined the forum, someone posted an article from a UK newspaper about someone who found a live .22 round. Not a gun, just the shell. You wouldn't believe the panic it caused! I tried to find the original post, but it must have been purged along with other old stuff. They had that shell cradled in cotton batting so it wouldn't explode! They had a guy holding it like he was posing withh a trophy deer! Those people are conditioned to panic over crap like this!
Couldn't find the post but found some bits and pieces and references to that same, or similar article.
This is not a laughing matter, this is us if we don't defeat the demonicrats.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8805022.22-bullet-found-in-fossgate-york/

Don't think it can't happen here, that's what they thought.
Liberals#7.jpg

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
LOL I don't make a habit of it, my bows have me spoiled, just saying that in xbowbuerger's scenario, a total societal collapse, some of the stuff we love might not be functional for long and we might have to scrounge to find materials. Yes, I think I still have that floss string somewhere. I don't recommend that material, it's stretchy, but I just wanted to see if it could be done.
I'd want a gun, but there are times a gun wouldn't be my #1 option.
I like your trane of thought .... this is always in the back of my mind and it's one of the motivating factors that got me into string and arrow building, mostly string(in just starting on the arrows, slowly) and crossbows mostly. I have a ton of BCY Mercury and 8190 and 8190F stock piled that I'm building strings and cables with. Mostly for other people but, I have a stash put aside for myself and plenty matetial to keep the Nation supplied and some !

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
All due ... respect but if you wind up in a SHTF scenario you can take that crossbow and stick it where the sun don't shine. Who exactly will a crossbow protect you from? Certainly not a gang of determined, drugged-up, ARMED looters, rapists, and murderers. Nor from a pack of marauding dogs. Nor from the invading Islamics/Russians/Chinese or evil-du-jour. If I seriously wanted to protect myself and family and I lived in a country that had usurped my rights to self protection; I'd find myself an AR15, M16, or AK47 or at least some 9mm handgun.:) I'd stash it, hide it in a wall, under the floorboards, wherever, and start collecting ammunition over the next decade or so. But that's just me.

You want a crossbow to shoot squirrels, cats, rats or dogs for food during this projected zombie apocalypse that's fine. But if you have some misguided idea to use it for self defense, pick one that you can jury-rig a bayonet mount onto because after the one and only shot you could get off you'll be using it as a club or spear. :rolleyes:
Your absolutely correct in saying this but I prefer to go unnoticed and not draw attention to myself. In being an Archer these are the primary traits that make an Archer a successful Archer. I am a natural for this hobby/sport due to my personality traits... I will find a way to be successful with a crossbow if an apocalypse were to ever hit ! Remember, it's not the weapon, it's the soldier. A good depiction of what I'm trying to convey is David and Goliath...

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I know my last reply may have sounded egotistical and I apologize. I guess it was the beers I drank yesterday doing the typing!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's interesting to consider a different perspective. I completely missed in the original post that the original poster was from Europe; I wondered fleetingly why anyone would choose a crossbow as their primary weapon. Reading further, it made sense.

I think it's good to have as many tools in the tool box, so to speak, as possible. For those of us who can, firearms will always be the better bet for most jobs. I feel blessed to live somewhere - rural AK - where owning firearms is not only OK, but you're viewed a bit suspiciously if you don't have guns. For a SHTF situation, I've thought from time to time I need to acquire more common calibers - 9mm, .223, etc;. Alas, I have a fondness for less common calibers, which might bite me in the butt if something happened. I do have dies for every gun I own and load for each. I keep a decent stock on hand for supplies to do so, so there is that. IMHO being able to work up your ammunition, whether reloading or putting together your own arrows (I do that as well) is valuable.

Again, cool to read different perspectives! :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I feel blessed to live somewhere - rural AK - where owning firearms is not only OK, but you're viewed a bit suspiciously if you don't have guns.
It might be of interest that especially in the German-speaking area, a general firearms ban was introduced by ... Hitler.
And never revoked by any later government. Governments here in Europe fear their population, for good reasons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
So, I looked further into the realm of inexpensive crossbows. The Jaguar 2 (175 lbs, 260 fps) seems interesting as well (besides the Man Kung ones).

It's interesting to consider a different perspective. I completely missed in the original post that the original poster was from Europe; I wondered fleetingly why anyone would choose a crossbow as their primary weapon. Reading further, it made sense
I think it's good to have as many tools in the tool box, so to speak, as possible. For those of us who can, firearms will always be the better bet for most jobs. I feel blessed to live somewhere - rural AK - where owning firearms is not only OK, but you're viewed a bit suspiciously if you don't have guns
I enjoyed reading your introduction here as well. I think in most SHTF you would be better off in rural AK than in many other parts of the world anyways. Not a lot of people around you, a lot of game and fish around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
xbowbuerger... I'm of a couple of minds on that. I do think we have it good here as far as game and opportunities to provide for ourselves. It's sure true we have less people too. That's a part of what drew me to the area and why I like it as home. However, medical issues could lead to complications, because of how far out we are. I have some that I deal with - I have a stent in my heart and am on meds related to that. That could bite me in the butt if I wasn't able to get those meds, but maybe because of larger populations, that'd be an issue anywhere?

At any rate, thanks for the kind words. Have a great day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a crossbow because I wanted to practice with it. It is of no use to me what so ever. It came with a pull cock thingy but it hits the lock every time and won't let the string engage. My Nephew can cock it without the assist. I know it works that way but not with the pully assist. I can not cock the bow it is too much pull. I have a Rossie semi Auto with a 10 shot clip. I will have to make do with it. At this time I can not even find a box of bullets for the thing I have hundreds but I love to shoot it for practice. I was going to buy another box just because. I built a gun range and practice there. I could not find a crossbow with less pull weight so If you know of one please send me a description I would really love to have a viable bow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The only advantage I could see in a crossbow is if you wanted to hunt for food during a SHTF situation is noise . Particaly is you don't have a silencer on a rifle or subsonic ammunition on hand then the noise will give away your position. Partially if you needed to fire more than one shot. Or you found yourself in a situation where you were forced to take animals from a place that perhaps you should be.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I bought a crossbow because I wanted to practice with it. It is of no use to me what so ever. It came with a pull cock thingy but it hits the lock every time and won't let the string engage. My Nephew can cock it without the assist. I know it works that way but not with the pully assist.
If we talk about a SHTF scenario, the most important point (besides availability) is operation and maintainance without outside help. So, this device is most probably useless in this case. Like a car when roads are blocked and/or no gas is available.
As robertyb mentioned, naming the brand/model would help.
But for real SHTF proparation, I would go for equipment that I can manage myself, and test it before.
There are simple and robust crossbows in the 80...120 lbs range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The only advantage I could see in a crossbow is if you wanted to hunt for food during a SHTF situation is noise .[...]Or you found yourself in a situation where you were forced to take animals from a place that perhaps you should be.
I agree and even now in normal times crossbows/bows are being used here for poaching. Silent, easy to buy/hide and lethal.

If we talk about a SHTF scenario, the most important point (besides availability) is operation and maintainance without outside help.
Yes, which is the reason why it would probably be a good skill to be able to make a simple bow/string/arrows/broadheads (stoneage style).

·
Registered
10 Posts
If we talk about a SHTF scenario, the most important point (besides availability) is operation and maintainance without outside help. So, this device is most probably useless in this case. Like a car when roads are blocked and/or no gas is available.
As robertyb mentioned, naming the brand/model would help.
But for real SHTF proparation, I would go for equipment that I can manage myself, and test it before.
There are simple and robust crossbows in the 80...120 lbs range.
Thank you. mine is a Manticore recurve crossbow. I have purchased several other items I can use. The 22 is awesome, my ax it scarry and I am practicing with it. It has two ends, one an ax, the other a pointed blade sharp on both sides. I have a simple hatchet. These are my main weaponry. I have other knives and sets to clean, skin, or impel. I just wanted to add a bow and arrow to the set. This one won't do so I am still searching for one I can use.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts