Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are expecting to get 10 inches of snow by tonight, with single digit temperatures. The weather continues to be cruddy and will remain so for some time. It may be awhile before I get to do my sight in and a little distance shooting outside. I have a 12 yard range in my basement with overhead LED lighting, so I set up my grain scale and chronograph. My 16" EVO-X arrows with 125 gr. field tips weigh in at an average of 420.7 grains. The 15 shafts I weighed were all within 1 grain of each other. I was expecting a little more variance, so I weighed them all twice in case I missed something. Got the same result. I weighed one lighted arrow with a 125 gr. NAP SlingBlade and got a reading of 425.2 grains. I was expecting to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 390 fps over my chronograph. I took five shots with the same 16" arrow, field point tip 24" in front of the chronograph and the same height of 36" above the floor. Here are the results I got:
Shot #1: 428 fps
Shot #2: 427 fps
Shot #3: 428 fps
Shot #4: 428 fps
Shot #5: 428 fps
I was pleased with the consistency of my readouts, but was surprised by the speeds with a 420+/-gr. arrow. Is anyone else out there getting faster than advertised speeds? I know chronographs can be fussy, but I was careful with my technique, keeping the bow level and making every effort to get the arrow over the front and rear sensors at the same height. I plan on checking the speeds again after I shoot 50 shots with the Siege.
With my Viper last Spring, shooting with my chronograph with the same set up and the same location, I got an average of 363 fps. The 20" EVO-X arrows with 125 gr. field tips that I shoot out of my Viper weigh 470 grains.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Borkholder Archery told me that the first batch of Sieges that went out have the same limbs as the Havoc so are faster than they are supposed to be. They didn't know how many there were.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
We are expecting to get 10 inches of snow by tonight, with single digit temperatures. The weather continues to be cruddy and will remain so for some time. It may be awhile before I get to do my sight in and a little distance shooting outside. I have a 12 yard range in my basement with overhead LED lighting, so I set up my grain scale and chronograph. My 16" EVO-X arrows with 125 gr. field tips weigh in at an average of 420.7 grains. The 15 shafts I weighed were all within 1 grain of each other. I was expecting a little more variance, so I weighed them all twice in case I missed something. Got the same result. I weighed one lighted arrow with a 125 gr. NAP SlingBlade and got a reading of 425.2 grains. I was expecting to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 390 fps over my chronograph. I took five shots with the same 16" arrow, field point tip 24" in front of the chronograph and the same height of 36" above the floor. Here are the results I got:
I was pleased with the consistency of my readouts, but was surprised by the speeds with a 420+/-gr. arrow. Is anyone else out there getting faster than advertised speeds? I know chronographs can be fussy, but I was careful with my technique, keeping the bow level and making every effort to get the arrow over the front and rear sensors at the same height. I plan on checking the speeds again after I shoot 50 shots with the Siege.
With my Viper last Spring, shooting with my chronograph with the same set up and the same location, I got an average of 363 fps. The 20" EVO-X arrows with 125 gr. field tips that I shoot out of my Viper weigh 470 grains.
Borkholder Archery told me that the first batch of Sieges that went out have the same limbs as the Havoc so are faster than they are supposed to be. They didn't know how many there were.
Yup, others have posted higher speeds than advertised by TenPoint.
I could understand a few fps but 18fps surely must be from different limbs, as has been noted several times as well.
Great info, thanks Scienceguy,

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
My bow posted at 442 fps and repeated 3 times !!
word on the street is , the first limb batch that Tenpoint got had no lower limb deflection limbs , so the lowest limbs after they deflected them went on the siege and the heavy limbs went on the havocs . some sieges got light deflection havoc limbs , they did that to fill early orders .
I personally did not want that fast of a bow .
So here is what i did , i made a set of tapered shims to go under the rear limb bolt , these let my bow out to a 13.250 ATA .
I will crono it tomorrow , this will slow it down to my liking and the limbs will last a whole lot longer , i like to run em in reserve !!
also i am able to run the factory string and cable specs .

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Man, those Siege limbs are hot!!!! 17 fps over spec? Wow!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I’m actually going to play with some 18” arrows. A better FOC and maybe not burying the arrow up to the fletching.
Very impressed that fast out of the box.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will be curious to chrono mine, it has just been too cold and too much snow. I shot it once, but my targets even though rated to 450 wouldn't hold the beast. I am curious now if I got the hot limbs too, I purchased on 1/23. I had shot the Havoc into the same target at the bow shop as I have at home, and it stopped them there. I chalked up burying the arrows past the fletching due to my targets having sat in the weather and the material shifting down. I since have bought a yellow jacket 425, and have vowed not to let it get wet. But maybe it was partly the bow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will be curious to chrono mine, it has just been too cold and too much snow. I shot it once, but my targets even though rated to 450 would hold the beast. I am curious now if I got the hot limbs too, I purchased on 1/23. I had shot the Havoc into the same target at the bow shop as I have at home, and it stopped them there. I chalked up burying the arrows past the fletching due to my targets having sat in the weather and the material shifting down. I since have bought a yellow jacket 425, and have vowed not to let it get wet. But maybe it was partly the bow.
Just got done shooting my siege, I must have got one with the havoc limbs. Bought my bow January 8 so I just had to get out in all that snow and send some arrows threw the chronograph, this is the results using the supplied arrows that come with the bow weighting 398 grains.
1st shot 440 fps
2nd shot 439 fps
3rd shot 438 fps
4th shot 438 fps
I'm glad I bought no limit spiderweb target to stop the arrows. I just recieved some arrows today from asap that are 17" long and weight 414 with 100 grain point. Can't wait to shoot them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got done shooting my siege, I must have got one with the havoc limbs. Bought my bow January 8 so I just had to get out in all that snow and send some arrows threw the chronograph, this is the results using the supplied arrows that come with the bow weighting 398 grains.
1st shot 440 fps
2nd shot 439 fps
3rd shot 438 fps
4th shot 438 fps
I'm glad I bought no limit spiderweb target to stop the arrows. I just recieved some arrows today from asap that are 17" long and weight 414 with 100 grain point. Can't wait to shoot them.
Your speeds with a 400 gr. arrow are in line with what I got with a heavier 425 gr. arrow. I would be curious in knowing what you would get using a 125 gr. point.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I doubt as Siege’s are built they will continue to outperform their rated speeds. I’ve heard a couple reasons for this but who knows for sure. I knew I was buying a 410fps bow and good with that. I was surprised at the speeds when I sighted the bow in

1 - 20 of 43 Posts