Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does the Sierra3 reticle work in conjunction with differing magnifications? In hold over mode, at least, I’m assuming it’s functionally similarly to a ffp reticle (in as much as the holdover distances remain accurate at different magnifications), so does that mean at higher magnifications I’d lose the holdover dots for the longest distances? Seems to me the highest magnification would only be usable for the closest distances. Is this correct?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I tried mine out for the first time this morning but I just shot a few shots at 30 yards to verify that I was hitting the same dot at 4, 6 and 8 power and I did. I have mine set up 20 thru 50 yard dots and could see all of them on 8 power. I think they will all be there when needed.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Can you turn on 60-90 and tell us how many of those you see at 8x?
Just did that but in an inside small room.
I lost the 90 dot right at 6X and the 80 dot at 7.5X. It might be different outside in the open so I will try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you.

What’s the FPS/arrow weight on your setup?

I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I have my scope settings on 410 grains and 430 fps. I am currently shooting Blood Sport Hunter arrows.
I just went out and tried it again. I lost the 90 dot at approx 5.75X. The 80 dot dead on 7X and then I changed the 90 to a 100 dot and lost it at 5X. So for shooting over 80 yards if you want 6X or more use the RF for setting the scope instead of using the ballistic holds.
Also I am using the smaller 32mm scope so the 42mm and up scopes might well retain the longer ranged dots ant higher powers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for taking the time to check. My rig is fairly anemic compared to yours, so I’ve got to imagine I’d lose an extra dot or maybe two, but having holdovers even out to 50 is still more than I expected.

Have you tried it in rangefinding mode? Does it work similarly in regards to the magnification? On the mode where it displays one single holdover based on ranging your target, if your magnification is too high (say 6x) and/or you range something too far away (say 90 yards), will there simply be no illuminated reticle until you zoom out enough to see it?

I feel like that’s an obvious question, but I’m just trying to wrap my head around the whole thing

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I've shot past 70 yards with magnification in the normal ranging mode with no issue and ranged to 114. The scope is intelligent enough to know when you exceed the distance capable based on the loaded ballistics and it will flash an LED indicating you are over-magnified. Pretty slick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Woooow.... no kidding, eh? Is that EVER slick...

Friggin scope’s smarter than me.

Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to check. My rig is fairly anemic compared to yours, so I’ve got to imagine I’d lose an extra dot or maybe two, but having holdovers even out to 50 is still more than I expected.

Have you tried it in rangefinding mode? Does it work similarly in regards to the magnification? On the mode where it displays one single holdover based on ranging your target, if your magnification is too high (say 6x) and/or you range something too far away (say 90 yards), will there simply be no illuminated reticle until you zoom out enough to see it?

I feel like that’s an obvious question, but I’m just trying to wrap my head around the whole thing
I have not yet shot mine in the range finding mode but I have turned it on and watched the dot change as I scanned various points on my back field up to 180 yards with the RF. It works as advertised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts