Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how accurate the Sig Sauer Sierra3 scope reticles are without the rangefinder?
I have only shot out to 25 yards so far and as such, have not calibrated the scope yet.

Now I have misplaced the rangefinder.
We are going to the range in a few days and if I can't find the rangefinder by then, I will be counting on the reticles on the scope.
Any ideas appreciated.
Thank you!

Cheers,
dynamo61

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Set the Ballistic Reticle mode ON in the App. and if your profile information is accurate the hold over reticles will be right on for whatever distance you set them to. Calibration would help but the basic data if accurate should be good.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I am using the ballistic reticle on mine right now set on 20-30-40-50 yards so no RF is needed other than to tell distances which I pretty much already know at my stand sites. You can turn it on and off using your phone app.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Set the Ballistic Reticle mode ON in the App. and if your profile information is accurate the hold over reticles will be right on for whatever distance you set them to. Calibration would help but the basic data if accurate should be good.
I am using the ballistic reticle on mine right now set on 20-30-40-50 yards so no RF is needed other than to tell distances which I pretty much already know at my stand sites. You can turn it on and off using your phone app.
Hi guys, does it make a difference if I have not calibrated yet?
I mean, if I cannot find my Rangefinder and I sight in at 20 yards this weekend, will the reticles for 30, 40, 50 (and hopefully further) be right on?
BTW, thank you for the quick replies, you guys are soooooo helpful to everyone on this forum.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Hi guys, does it make a difference if I have not calibrated yet?
I mean, if I cannot find my Rangefinder and I sight in at 20 yards this weekend, will the reticles for 30, 40, 50 (and hopefully further) be right on?
BTW, thank you for the quick replies, you guys are soooooo helpful to everyone on this forum.
It will be on if your profile ballistic info. is correct. Arrow weight, speed, scope height, zero distance needs to be there or it won't be accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be on if your profile ballistic info. is correct. Arrow weight, speed, scope height, zero distance needs to be there or it won't be accurate.
OK, good.
Yes, all of that info is entered correctly.
I guess we shall see this weekend, can hardly wait!
Thanks again guys.

Reactions: TX_RDXguy

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I just came in from shooting my R20 with my newly mounted scope. I shot at 50 yards and was over 2 1/2" high so I came back to 20 and was high so I adjusted the scope and then went back to 50 yards and was dead on. I had shot a couple of shots at 20 earlier and did not correct the elevation and then forgot to do so this morning before shooting. :)
I was using the scope only as I had my info correct in my phone app.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did your wifey hide it on you!? lol Have you bin bad!?
I wouldn't doubt it, KTown.
Guess I better do my "chores" better, LOL, JK!

I just came in from shooting my R20 with my newly mounted scope. I shot at 50 yards and was over 2 1/2" high so I came back to 20 and was high so I adjusted the scope and then went back to 50 yards and was dead on. I had shot a couple of shots at 20 earlier and did not correct the elevation and then forgot to do so this morning before shooting. :)
I was using the scope only as I had my info correct in my phone app.
Hi Robert, great info, thanks for sharing and making me feel better about not using the rangefinder!

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Something else I ran into today. I walked away from my bow for a while and when I got back my scope had turned itself off (MOTAC) and would not shake back on. I went to looking and found that I had the hard timer on and when it cuts the scope off you have to turn the power knob to reactivate the scope. It is supposed to be able to be set for up to 8 hours but mine only shows 60 minutes max for some reason so I just turned it off. My MOTAC is set for 2 minutes so the bow shuts down fast and cuts back on if I move it.
These settings are found under SIGHTS and then hit the * button on the top right.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today will be the first time (hopefully if it does not rain) I will be shooting the Tenpoint Vapor with SS Sierra3 BDX1600 combo further than 25 yards.
I have not had much luck with setting the yardage on the App. It only allows up to 35 yards.

I will delete, reinstall and re-enter my ballistic data and parameters.
I would like to set it for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 yards.

So in short, I sight in at 20 yards, move to 50 yards, adjust/confirm Point of Impact then press "calibrate"?
Thanks for any ideas anyone.

Reactions: TX_RDXguy

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
That should do it. Remember that the calibration step is fine tuning. Your core ballistic detail after you adjust at your zero range should have you very close at 0-??? yards. I was good to 67.2 on initial setup so I never even did the calibration step.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That should do it. Remember that the calibration step is fine tuning. Your core ballistic detail after you adjust at your zero range should have you very close at 0-??? yards. I was good to 67.2 on initial setup so I never even did the calibration step.
OK, that is good to know, thanks TX_RDXguy.
I like simple LOL.
Thanks for help on the SS FB page as well.
Loading up the gear and out the door we go!
Cheers,
dynamo61

1 - 13 of 13 Posts