Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What distance do you zero for White Tails ?
I'm at 20 yards now... but I'm considering moving up to 25 or 30. My typical shot is open food plots.. surrounded by big woods... and thickets.

·
Registered
13,225 Posts
Both my crossbows are zeroed dead-on at 25 yards. My second crosshair is set at 35 yards and the thrid is at 45 yards. I don't worry about any of the others as I don't shoot any farther. I will usually hold out until a deer gets at 35 yards (or closer) before I take a shot.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
What distance do you zero for White Tails ?
I'm at 20 yards now... but I'm considering moving up to 25 or 30. My typical shot is open food plots.. surrounded by big woods... and thickets.
I have typically started at 20 yards. But if your bow shoots flat enough then 10y-30y shots on a 30y zero shouldn't be hard to determine if you get a closer shot. Lot's of xbow hunters do it. I suspect with some practice on those closer shots would be second nature to make.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I do a walk back to tune, so the scope is sighted in prior, in order to do that. 10 yard centering and then working back from 10 to 40. I dont shoot over 20 normally and never ever would I shoot at 30, so 40 is all I need.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
30 yard zero, with a multi reticle dedicated crossbow scope. @ 355 fps I have no problem with a center of boiler room aim and hold dead on out to 37 yards, if I think its over 35 yards and hold a couple inches high even a deer at 25 yards is dead as well as if it is 40 to 42 yards. This leaves me a lot a room to misjudge by 5 or more yards inside 40 using one aiming point.

In the case I think I may need a 40 yard shot and use the second aiming point, I can still be off 5 yards in long or short and make my kill.

Since I started bow hunting over 35 years ago, I have never aimed at a heart, I always take the 100% approach for a kill, and that is take out the lungs,,, they are dead! With an 8" kill zone, it leaves much room for the type of approach I use with my 30 yard zero.

When I had a crossbow shooting over 420 fps, I went to a 35 yard zero and set every ten yards the same as if zero'd for 30.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I’ve been wondering about this too, my crossbow shoots 370fps and I have 4 dots on my scope and in the instructions it said to go 20,30,40,50. I have it the first dot at 20 yards and I can drive nails with it at 20 but at 30 I’m hitting like an inch high. Wondering if there’s a better way...

FWIW I don’t think I’d shoot a deer outside 30-35 right now.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I’ve been wondering about this too, my crossbow shoots 370fps and I have 4 dots on my scope and in the instructions it said to go 20,30,40,50. I have it the first dot at 20 yards and I can drive nails with it at 20 but at 30 I’m hitting like an inch high. Wondering if there’s a better way...

FWIW I don’t think I’d shoot a deer outside 30-35 right now.
Is it a speed dial scope? If it is you have to set the speed dial to the speed you are shooting and then adjust the speed till the marks are correct. If not the dots fall where they may. Might be 38-47-59 etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is it a speed dial scope? If it is you have to set the speed dial to the speed you are shooting and then adjust the speed till the marks are correct. If not the dots fall where they may. Might be 38-47-59 etc.
Unfortunately it’s not, might be if I get another stimulus check though lol

·
8,875 Posts
I've found … that 30 yards seems to work best on my bows. The faster your arrow, the more beneficial a farther zero would be. Within practical reason of course. In reality 40 yards gives me a better "Point Blank Range" parameter, but it's just not as intuitive as 20 or 30 yards. I found I was micro-adjusting my hold over or hold under too much. I went back to a 30 yard zero. The distance to most of your kill shots plays in here too. Why go to a 40 or even 30 yard zero if you kill 90% of your deer between 15 and 25 yards?

·
8,875 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my experience, 95% of the deer I shoot with any weapon is within 30 yards. I also hunt woods a lot. During bow season your shot is going to be more limited than any other time in the season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts