Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 20 yard crosshair on the XB75/DS380 is dead nuts, but I don’t have anywhere to shoot the longer ranges at the moment to verify the speed ring's setting. So I set it where I thought it should be.

Then I went to the Hawke BRC2 ballistics chart and noted the how high the poi was for each crosshair from 25 yards to 50 yards when shooting at 20 yards (25 yards was +.82” to 50 yards at +7.06”).

So I used the same shaft I shot at 20 yards and used the 30 yard crosshair and it hit dead center where it was suppose to at 1.85” high. Then I shot again using the 40 yard crosshair and it hit dead nuts at 4.3” high as well.

I’d like to verify it at those actual yardages but this might work for a while - I hope I only have a 20 yard shot until I do. :)

DSCN2729.JPG

·
Registered
830 Posts
TP, I've done the very same thing with arrows as well as bullets. The process, with accurate inputs (speed, weight etc), will work to get a very close POA match with POI.

I think you will be amazed how close you will be when you get an opportunity to shoot at those longer distances. Good Luck!

·
Registered
935 Posts
TP, I think it will be close. Maybe not spot on at the longer distances, but only because of needing an accurate drag and ballistic coefficient number for your arrow and broadhead. They might not show their true effects on your arrows at shorter distances as compared to the longer distances. However, that probably could be fine tuned as well.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s sort of like a contest I once heard of.

They put a scientist and an engineer on one side of a room and a scantily clad super model at the other end. They said every time they blow a whistle, each could move exactly half way to the model.

They blew the whistle and the engineer shot half way to the model, but the scientist never budged.

They asked the scientist why he didn’t move and he said if he can only move half way each time, then he’d never get all the way to the model.

They asked the engineer why he took off right away and he said he knew he was going to get close enough!

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TP, I've done the very same thing with arrows as well as bullets.
Duh - after reading your post about bullets I realized I did the very same thing with the JBM ballistics chart for my muzzleloader to get an effecting PBR out to 150+ yards without doing a holdover by hitting about .8”-.9” high at 100 yards..

And I used the JBM to set the scope on my .204 for a 200 yard zero by hitting nearly an inch high at the 100 yard DNR range. It didn’t dawn on me that I’ve done this in the past.

Reactions: Generator
1 - 5 of 5 Posts