Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here so forgive me if this has been asked a million times. Is there any items that genuinely reduce the noise from the shot on an Excalibur micro? I love the bow, and have killed quite a few deer and turkeys with it, I just wonder if it could be made a little bit quieter

·
Crossbow Nut
4,453 Posts
A Flemish twist string makes a difference.
If you are shooting a 400 grain or heavier arrow off a Flemish string, you have reached the point of diminishing return. You can spend more money to buy more stuff, but you will have reached the pinnacle of "quietness" on that bow.

·
Crossbow Nut
4,453 Posts
Wood Triangle Art Twig Creative arts

A typical Flemish string. They have to be hand made. See Boo or 1 of the other stringmakers, I can't make them anymore because of arthritis in my wrist and thumb joints.

·
Registered
Let's Go BRANDON
2,113 Posts
Of all the dampening improvements I have made to my Excaliburs the addition of a Flemish string made the most difference with sound and vibration. The difference is actually quite profound.

I got a Trinity Flemish string with a Micro frontend I bought for a project. If you are interested I'll send it to ya. Kind of a Welcome aboard gift eh? Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
Let's Go BRANDON
2,113 Posts
Am I imaging things or did you guys forget to mention wrapping the stirrup?
Yes Boo we did. And now that I think of it we forgot heat shrinking the arrow retainer also.

OP:
Applying tennis racket tape, or electrical tape to the stirrup can cancel some noise. I wrap mine with paracord.
Also heat shrinking the arrow retainer with some high quality shrink tubing can get rid of some noise as well.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
3,246 Posts
Yes Boo we did. And now that I think of it we forgot heat shrinking the arrow retainer also.

OP:
Applying tennis racket tape, or electrical tape to the stirrup can cancel some noise. I wrap mine with paracord.
Also heat shrinking the arrow retainer with some high quality shrink tubing can get rid of some noise as well.
Take care
Oncebitten
(y)

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Registered
880 Posts
The only individual items I have ever noticed reduce sound on my micro are string, REDS, and heavier arrow, all mentioned by others in this thread.

As for all the rest of the stuff, I have never noticed a difference with an individual item. BUT, when they are all used together, the difference is very noticeable. My 308 Short Banshee as it came with all the SDS stuff on it was much quieter than I have it now with only a Flemish string and REDS. But I prefer the reduced weight and maximizing the fps I get by running it more naked. And the deer don't know the difference anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

OP:
Take care
Oncebitten
Did you wrap the whole stirrup or just the flat part? I would imagine the whole thing

1 - 20 of 29 Posts