Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious.
New to crossbows (have a WR RDX400). I am told to lubricate the string serving and the rails periodically with a light oil.
What about a silicon spray, wiped onto the areas?
Thoughts????

sorry if this has been discussed. did not find in titles when I searched.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I use Ace Hardware white silicone grease. I polish the rails and arrows with it (makes the arrows much easier to pull out especially when the wrap glues itself to the target material) and rub it well into any moving contact point of string and serving.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,877 Posts
I also use a silicone grease but only on the rail. I still use traditional wax on my strings and cables.

·
Banned
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,724 Posts
I use it all from time to time. Since I don't know what the best product is to use I use a variety. I have clear dielectric grease, white grease, Trident Silicone grease, Black Lightening, Scorpion Venom and Bohning Tex-Tite and apply them sparingly as needed at diferent times.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I use it all from time to time. Since I don't know what the best product is to use I use a variety. I have clear dielectric grease, white grease, Trident Silicone grease, Black Lightening, Scorpion Venom and Bohning Tex-Tite and apply them sparingly as needed at diferent times.
I respect many folks here on CBN and bunnyrabbit is one of them. He uses this product an what I like about trident silicone grease it last much longer than the OEM rail wax. Works for me and I'm sure there are other great products to use as well.

·
Banned
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,724 Posts
The only thing I noticed is one time when I used it as a rail lube it seemed to cause a build-up on my center serving and I was worried about it makibg it's way into my trigger box so I quit using it on the rail. I don't know if it was because it mixed with whatever it was that I had there before I applied the Trident. But either way, just a word of caution. The stuff does work great though. I have a bunch of it.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,877 Posts
Probably used too much Marty. You only want a light film on the rains. I put in on and try wiping all I can off with my fingers. I probably lube my rail about every 30-35 shots now (guessing).

Reactions: Martymig

·
Vendor
1,616 Posts
I have been testing a couple of lubricants, one for the rail that doesnt leave any residue and a silicone/teflon that I make in house

As soon as I hear back from my faithful tester I'm going to send some out to get a wider group for feedback

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oatey’s Silicone Plumber’s Grease is probably very similar to the Trident product and is likely available from your local plumbing supply. (Or eBay and Amazon for that matter)

It’s a low viscosity, say NLGI 00, 100% silicone grease.

·
Banned
7,724 Posts
Iron Duke turned me onto this stuff and it's awsome ! It works great! I tried some on my wooden knife handles and wipe the blades clean with it. I can see if it was applied to a rail of a Crossbow it would do wonders ! I just havnt had the time to get out and shoot lately to try any but, I plan on it real soon as I'm getting ready for Turkey Season here in PA. "Spring Gobbler" I want to whack a bird in its head with my Nemesis so bad I can taste it !
But here's a photo of the stuff Duke told me about.
Product Tin can

·
Banned
7,724 Posts
I have been testing a couple of lubricants, one for the rail that doesnt leave any residue and a silicone/teflon that I make in house

As soon as I hear back from my faithful tester I'm going to send some out to get a wider group for feedback
Keep us posted Jerry !

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Silicone spray onto a cloth, and then wiped onto the rail for me.

Whatever happened to "Jig-a-loo" spray? Many here raved about that a few years ago.
Funny u ask, only place that has it is in Canada, they pulled it from the USA market, bad environmental stuff. I just bought 6 cans at Canadian Tire. Great stuff for sure. I Use it on rail only

Reactions: AndyC
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.