Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting a excalibur bulldog 330 bee weight 286 with lighted nocks weigh is 306 suggests broadheads

·
2,792 Posts
A Bulldog 330 and those arrows should have no problem with any of the Slick Trick heads. IME, the standards are the easiest ones to get to shoot like field points, the Grizz are the hardest. The 1 1/8" mags are right in the middle. Probably little real difference in killing power/blood trails between any of them. My Middleton 355 SS would shoot Grizz 2s right with field points out to 50. This buck only made it 30 yards from the hit.

Deer 1.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Bulldog 330 and those arrows should have no problem with any of the Slick Trick heads. IME, the standards are the easiest ones to get to shoot like field points, the Grizz are the hardest. The 1 1/8" mags are right in the middle. Probably little real difference in killing power/blood trails between any of them. My Middleton 355 SS would shoot Grizz 2s right with field points out to 50. This buck only made it 30 yards from the hit.

View attachment 182595
Thank you
Slick tricks are great heads.
Thanks

·
1,316 Posts
My comment on tricks..Good heads but small. My wounds on 4 and 5 yr old bucks with alota fat are small. I tried the wicked trick. Made a larger wound but tips curl. Even in targets. Looking for a larger broadhead!

·
1,316 Posts
Have not decided on what next to use. I like a fixed nothing can go wrong blade. tooth of the arrow or a Magnus seem good. NOT sure how they will fly though?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have not decided on what next to use. I like a fixed nothing can go wrong blade. tooth of the arrow or a Magnus seem good. NOT sure how they will fly though?
I just started shooting magnus black hornets 125 grain this year and I'm shooting almost as accurate as my field tips. I did speak to a Magnus and he let me know they shoot best out of crossbow 375fps or less and correctly spined arrows. I'm shooting spynal tapps fwiw.

I've probably shot the black hornet 50 times and at 40 yards I'm shooting about a 1" group.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i CONTACTED THEM tHEY SAid black hornets or ser razors be good. I use blk eagle executioner arrows. 175 lb 330 fps.
Yeah the BEE’s should work great. I bought the ser razors first but just ordered the regular black hornets because the serrations are more of a pain to sharpen

·
1,316 Posts
Thanks for your imput. Did you ever watch the you tube video on sharpening the serrations? Using string with some compound on it? Looked quite easy actually. Some say the serrations actually add cutting potential adding to the main blade. Not sure though on that?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for your imput. Did you ever watch the you tube video on sharpening the serrations? Using string with some compound on it? Looked quite easy actually. Some say the serrations actually add cutting potential adding to the main blade. Not sure though on that?
My understanding from ranchfairy is the serrations really just help when you hit bone but i bought a lansky broadhead sharpener and then a wood 2 sided strop with stropping compound and I just run the serrated portion on the side of the strop and its super easy to sharpen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have killed several deer with Slick Trick Mag 125 and every hole literally looked like a 12 gauge shotgun slug hole or bigger.

Look under the Camx forum and scroll thru the posts by "Specialized". He kills deer, turkeys, and a LOT of coyotes like they are going out of style with Slick Tricks.

·
1,316 Posts
Dont get me wrong,,Slicks have killed many deer for me. Dependable heads. Depends though what kind of deer you are hitting. I have hit a couple 4 and 5 yr old fat thick hide rutting corn fed bucks that had less than great holes thru them with slick tricks. Just my experience.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Dont get me wrong,,Slicks have killed many deer for me. Dependable heads. Depends though what kind of deer you are hitting. I have hit a couple 4 and 5 yr old fat thick hide rutting corn fed bucks that had less than great holes thru them with slick tricks. Just my experience.
Did you harvest those deer or lose them? Maybe I should rephrase the question, Have you failed to recover any deer, knowingly that the slick trick head was the reason? I am no rocket scientists, but will venture to guess that a sharp 1" fixed 4 blade slick trick will have more penetration on a fatty deer then a 2" mechanical. Really, if the deer is dead and recovered, what difference does the size of the hole make? Just my two cents.

·
1,316 Posts
Here is the deal...Yes I have recovered all my deer. Any broadhead square in the boiler room,,both lungs,,heart area will usually mean a short follow up. Unfortunately,,not all shots are right where you want them. Deer jump,,move ahead,,,especially if they are suspicious. Had that ;last seaon. Had to move way around to make the shot. Deer was moving. got back part of one lung,,good hit on first lung. A one lung 4 yr old buck can go a long way. Holes through that buck were small. Outlet filled with Fat. Tiny blood trail for 200 yrds. I want MAX damage and holes. I still like a fixed blade,. I Do not use mechanicals. Thinking of the Mag ser razor.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I use the Slick Trick standard, 125 grain, 1 inch cut. Killed every deer I hit with one. Never lost any.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Tooth of the Arrow, IMO are as good as it gets with fixed heads. I've shot multiple fixed heads and the TOTA, with my setup, out performs all the others. Very consistent shooters from one to another placed on the same arrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts