Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a sliver that has detached its self/popped away looks like it could be dangerous. Does carbon express stand behind there products?
Communication Device Bumper Portable communications device Gadget Mobile device

·
4,182 Posts
Yeah that one is on the wrong side of the limb. Carbon Express is no longer an entity in crossbows. Feradyne is the parent company now, and their brands are Rocky Mountain and Axe. Maybe they can be of some help, but they have phased out the CE line.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't know since they stopped making crossbows under Carbon Express. Contact them and inquire about the warranty. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Sorry to here about the crossbow.

Limb slivering is a common problem with the Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver, the rebranded
Rocky Mountain 405 and 415 models. These models are no longer manufactured. There is a
new version of the Rocky Mountain 415 shown on Feradyne website as "Wish List" that has
been there for many months. It is still not available.

The older model Rocky Mountain 405 and 415 can be purchased from some sellers or companies
that may still have them in stock.

Another crossbow that has limb slivering problems is the Bruin Ambush 370. I have all these cross
bows I mention being many parts will inter change. The crossbows are manufactured in Taiwan.
Other than the limbs slivering, they are very high quality.

Getting back to your crossbow, it can be modified to re enforce the limbs even though yours has a
slight damage. Remove the riser and take off the string and cables, tagging them for how they are
now twisted. Starting near the cam, wrap the limbs as tight as possible with high quality electrical tape,
going to the end of the limb where it fits into the limb pocket. Once assembled back the cams off by
either removing equal 1/2 or full twists from the single loop end of the cable where it goes onto the lobe
of the cam. Another way is removing 1/2 or full twists from the bow string. Do one or the other but not both.

Some recommend shooting a heavier arrow-point combination. All this does is slow the arrow down. Not
backing the cams down a bit, the crossbow limbs are under full load whether in the uncocked or cocked position.

Several years ago when my Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver limbs started to sliver, I contacted Feradynne.
I was quoted $150.00 for limbs and $100.00 shipping. This was to Canada and then add up to 35% currency
exchange to this plus import fees. It was cheaper to purchase a complete crossbow on sale where I had all
the other parts.

If you do decide to purchase a new crossbow of any of the ones I mention, I recommend the limb taping and
backing the cams off a bit. These crossbow limbs can not take constant cocking and shooting. I had one fail at 330
shots, a 2nd. coating chipped at 1300, then slivered at 1400. Taping those limbs on the second crossbow, I was able to
go to 2650 shots.

As a test I have salvaged the stronger limbs from 2 of these crossbows (even though the limbs were weaker than new)
and have shot an additional 500 shots with the limbs taped and cams backed down a bit.

After several tests with an additional top serving layer of BCY .030 in the arrow-latch area, I removed the base serving
as the bow string was not built under enough tension when the serving was applied. The serving was not installed under
enough tension either. After this modification, the original bowstring had slightly over 11,000 shots and the top layer of
BCY .030 serving has slightly over 5,000 shots. Today, I am still shooting the original bow string with an estimate of well
over 15,000 plus shots. Other than the serving in the arrow-latch area, Taiwan builds very high quality bowstring and cables.

The crossbows I have mentioned will all accept the crank cocking device that plugs into the cross in the butt end of the stock.
This is a very high quality device. I have modified some of my Barnett crossbows to use this same device due to the fact it is
better quality and much safer to use than the one designed for the Barnett Ghost series and Drop Tine STR. For the Barnett's
I had to switch from the hooks to the sled due to the way Barnett's stock is shaped near the fully cocked area. With care, one
can even decock the crossbow with this device.

I am still shooting the original stock from the Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver with these other crossbow risers, limbs and
doing various testing, 25,000 or more shots with absolutely no trigger problems.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you decide.
Take care.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to here about the crossbow.

Limb slivering is a common problem with the Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver, the rebranded
Rocky Mountain 405 and 415 models. These models are no longer manufactured. There is a
new version of the Rocky Mountain 415 shown on Feradyne website as "Wish List" that has
been there for many months. It is still not available.

The older model Rocky Mountain 405 and 415 can be purchased from some sellers or companies
that may still have them in stock.

Another crossbow that has limb slivering problems is the Bruin Ambush 370. I have all these cross
bows I mention being many parts will inter change. The crossbows are manufactured in Taiwan.
Other than the limbs slivering, they are very high quality.

Getting back to your crossbow, it can be modified to re enforce the limbs even though yours has a
slight damage. Remove the riser and take off the string and cables, tagging them for how they are
now twisted. Starting near the cam, wrap the limbs as tight as possible with high quality electrical tape,
going to the end of the limb where it fits into the limb pocket. Once assembled back the cams off by
either removing equal 1/2 or full twists from the single loop end of the cable where it goes onto the lobe
of the cam. Another way is removing 1/2 or full twists from the bow string. Do one or the other but not both.

Some recommend shooting a heavier arrow-point combination. All this does is slow the arrow down. Not
backing the cams down a bit, the crossbow limbs are under full load whether in the uncocked or cocked position.

Several years ago when my Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver limbs started to sliver, I contacted Feradynne.
I was quoted $150.00 for limbs and $100.00 shipping. This was to Canada and then add up to 35% currency
exchange to this plus import fees. It was cheaper to purchase a complete crossbow on sale where I had all
the other parts.

If you do decide to purchase a new crossbow of any of the ones I mention, I recommend the limb taping and
backing the cams off a bit. These crossbow limbs can not take constant cocking and shooting. I had one fail at 330
shots, a 2nd. coating chipped at 1300, then slivered at 1400. Taping those limbs on the second crossbow, I was able to
go to 2650 shots.

As a test I have salvaged the stronger limbs from 2 of these crossbows (even though the limbs were weaker than new)
and have shot an additional 500 shots with the limbs taped and cams backed down a bit.

After several tests with an additional top serving layer of BCY .030 in the arrow-latch area, I removed the base serving
as the bow string was not built under enough tension when the serving was applied. The serving was not installed under
enough tension either. After this modification, the original bowstring had slightly over 11,000 shots and the top layer of
BCY .030 serving has slightly over 5,000 shots. Today, I am still shooting the original bow string with an estimate of well
over 15,000 plus shots. Other than the serving in the arrow-latch area, Taiwan builds very high quality bowstring and cables.

The crossbows I have mentioned will all accept the crank cocking device that plugs into the cross in the butt end of the stock.
This is a very high quality device. I have modified some of my Barnett crossbows to use this same device due to the fact it is
better quality and much safer to use than the one designed for the Barnett Ghost series and Drop Tine STR. For the Barnett's
I had to switch from the hooks to the sled due to the way Barnett's stock is shaped near the fully cocked area. With care, one
can even decock the crossbow with this device.

I am still shooting the original stock from the Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver with these other crossbow risers, limbs and
doing various testing, 25,000 or more shots with absolutely no trigger problems.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you decide.
Take care.
Do you have pictures of how you have the limbs taped and I'm assuming that I would need a crossbow press to do this.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Do you have pictures of how you have the limbs taped and I'm assuming that I would need a crossbow press to do this.
Yes, the crossbow has to be put in a press in order to remove the string and cables. Once these are removed,
back the press off to remove the riser-limb assembly. Loosen the hex head bolt at the limb pockets and slide the
limbs out. Remove the limb dampener. The axle assembly does not have to be removed. Just rotate a limb and
start close to the cam, wrapping the limb very tight as you progress to the limb tip. Make sure to over lap the starting
end of the tape with the 2nd. wrap. The last wrap of the electrical tape, have it facing the inner side of the limb where
it fits into the limb pocket.
Note: the limb bolt can be fairly tight and a bit hard to loosen.
Note: electrical tape stretches, so pull it very tight as you add the wraps.

Once both limbs are done on one side, re install the limb dampener. Squeeze the two limbs together near the limb
pocket end and re install them. Tighten the hex head bolt and that side is complete. Do the same procedure with the
other limbs.
The high quality electrical tape usually has a temperature range of -10 degrees C. to +90 degrees C. or +14F to +194 F.
Some will only go to around 145 F which is still okay.

1)Top picture shows the crossbow riser with the new Rocky Mountain 405 limbs taped with slightly over 500 shots.
2)Second picture shows the outer area of the taped limb. This limb was slightly damaged with surface slivers before taping.
3)Third picture shows the same limb as (2) but the inner side. Tape starts approximately 2" from the axle end. This limb has
now been taken out of service due to it gradually weakened after several hundred more shots. The stronger limb, even if
damaged will take over. This is where the measurement axle to the nearest rail-stock edge will show if a limb is weaker or
a different limb deflection. The stronger limb pulls the weaker one closer to the rail-stock but will still maintain the original
axle to axle measurement when the crossbow is cocked. Uncocked, still remains the same as the original.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Trigger Bicycle fork
Wood Rectangle Natural material Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Tool Hardwood Rectangle Natural material

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just had the limb replaced by by carbon express they will repair it as long as you still under warranty.
This is the second time for me in 2 years

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I just had the limb replaced by by carbon express they will repair it as long as you still under warranty.
This is the second time for me in 2 years
Thanks for the update.
Did you have to send the riser assembly in or just the damaged limbs as proof.?

Take care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only called the company they directed me to there web sight where I have to input the info on the crossbow to see if will be in warranty, unless it's no longer in stock. Think after I pay for shipping and what has to be done to fix it, I may just use this for lesson learned off buying cheap crossbows, and buy something else what's a good crossbow out there ?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I only called the company they directed me to there web sight where I have to input the info on the crossbow to see if will be in warranty, unless it's no longer in stock. Think after I pay for shipping and what has to be done to fix it, I may just use this for lesson learned off buying cheap crossbows, and buy something else what's a good crossbow out there ?
The price on that crossbow may sound cheap for the reason it is manufactured in Taiwan.
Some currency exchanges, for every dollar we spend here on an overseas item, $6 to$7
on our dollar is going back to them.

One could never build a crossbow here for the kind of money we can purchase one built
by them for.

There are crossbows built here costing $1500 to $3500 U.S. that have lots of problems.
Import these into Canada with the cost of the item, shipping, import fees and then an
average of 35% currency conversion and one has one awful expensive crossbow.

Shipping these back for repair if the company will not ship the parts, it can be 6 week
shipping turn around, not counting the companies shop time. One crossbow I have, if
they only fixed one thing at a time, could have been 7 to possibly 9 shipping trips from
Canada back to the U.S.

Take care.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
PM Hunterthompson or Tomontherun. They are both forum members and can
give you information on the newer Barnett crossbows.

Checking the forum section specific to brands will help as well.

What ever crossbow you are interested in, go to a bow shop and try it out for weight,
length etc. Some shops may let one shoot the bow. My only suggestion is stay away
from crossbows that require proprietory arrow or nocks. These arrows are very expensive
and at times very hard to find.

Wish you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
Baltimore, MD - Ten Point Viper S400
821 Posts
I believe and also many on this sight have mentioned Barnett to be a reliable crossbow with a nice trigger system. Dollar for dollar - a very good price point. Good luck Andy but, we don't want to side track the original post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts