Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Saturday opener came to us in Wisconsin. I had just finished the funeral for my Mother, with family still in town till the mid day on Saturday. My Mom had a great life, and passed after a battle with cancer at 83. I had expected it, but the heart still does what it does.
My wife who knows me well told me to go. The afternoon would be good weather, and we have seen a lot of deer in the area. I thought the tree stand would be good for me also. Providing time in a tree in the fall is and has always been my spiritual time.
I had not sat for more than an hour, and the public land held some squirrel hunters who helped me out. One big doe ran passed me, about 40 yards out. I watched. Another doe ran under my stand about ten minutes later; in a really big hurry! With a third out in front at race car speed. I never shoot at a running deer. I just don't!
The doe that passed under me came back around. The Lord or my best hunting sense...probably one in the same...told me to sit still. She paused straight on towards me at 20 yards. No shot. Sit still. She turned and walked away...but not far.
I watched her for a 'woods' eternity. Maybe two minutes. She turned left under some brush. No shot. Sit still I told myself. Another minute and she turned right, two more steps, broadside at thirty yards.
That sound you hear after the crossbow thud is the hollow of the lungs being smacked by a well placed broadhead tipped arrow. The lumenock was glowing.
I always count in my head the time from the shot until the brush crash...or last sound I hear of the deer running away. Less than six. That is the ethics I want.
I called my wife to help me track. Not that I needed her; but I needed Her! She helps me, and it always seems better when I can share that.
Small doe, a good one to take. I hunt for food. And with four back surgeries and a neck surgery, dragging and processing the 100 pounders makes more sense...since we hunt for food.
Still, for those who hunt, I hope you find what I have found in the woods. This year, for me, the woods provided both the food and the spiritual connection I needed.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
My sincere condolence in the loss of your mother. I couldn't think of a better way myself to be one with the situation than being out in the woods. Congrats on the doe and sharing your story.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad of 88 years a month ago. Being in the woods is peaceful for me, too.

Reactions: jerrymhoffman

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Last year my mother in law became sick and she was placed in a Hospice home. On September 20th my father in law had a stroke and died, 6 days later, my mother in law passed away'
They had both lived with us for the past 13 yrs.
My wife is still broken over this. I never got a chance to hunt last year because I had to be with my wife.
This week has been horrible because of everything that happened at this time last year. I hope to be in the woods Saturday, doesn't matter if I get a deer, I just want to sit and enjoy the day. If I get something, that will be great too.
Thanks you for sharing and congratulations on your deer and prayers for you.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Glad that you were able to spend time in the woods hunting. Each and every hunting session for me amounts to a spiritual experience, especially with the peace and serenity. Being there and watching the sun rise and set is like I'm being touched by Gods own hand, and a connection with nature like no other.

Bow hunting is not a sport or hobby, to me it's a way of life and a passion 55 years now and I'm still like a kid waiting for Xmas morning. I have been blessed with being a Professional Fishing Guide and Charter Captain, but that's a job, doesn't hold a patch to bow hunting IMO.

Prayers with you and your family and hope you can have many more trips, this season.

·
2,661 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. And I am glad you spent the time in the renewing woods, providing food for family with the nice doe. The spiritual perspective and consecutiveness of the hunt within our personal live is what it is all about. Sweet memories.

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
My sincere condolences to you and your family with the loss of your Mother. I'm glad the stand, the woods, the deer helped take things off your mind even If it was just for a little while. Also glad to hear youre already filling your freezer.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, Saturday opener came to us in Wisconsin. I had just finished the funeral for my Mother, with family still in town till the mid day on Saturday. My Mom had a great life, and passed after a battle with cancer at 83. I had expected it, but the heart still does what it does.
My wife who knows me well told me to go. The afternoon would be good weather, and we have seen a lot of deer in the area. I thought the tree stand would be good for me also. Providing time in a tree in the fall is and has always been my spiritual time.
I had not sat for more than an hour, and the public land held some squirrel hunters who helped me out. One big doe ran passed me, about 40 yards out. I watched. Another doe ran under my stand about ten minutes later; in a really big hurry! With a third out in front at race car speed. I never shoot at a running deer. I just don't!
The doe that passed under me came back around. The Lord or my best hunting sense...probably one in the same...told me to sit still. She paused straight on towards me at 20 yards. No shot. Sit still. She turned and walked away...but not far.
I watched her for a 'woods' eternity. Maybe two minutes. She turned left under some brush. No shot. Sit still I told myself. Another minute and she turned right, two more steps, broadside at thirty yards.
That sound you hear after the crossbow thud is the hollow of the lungs being smacked by a well placed broadhead tipped arrow. The lumenock was glowing.
I always count in my head the time from the shot until the brush crash...or last sound I hear of the deer running away. Less than six. That is the ethics I want.
I called my wife to help me track. Not that I needed her; but I needed Her! She helps me, and it always seems better when I can share that.
Small doe, a good one to take. I hunt for food. And with four back surgeries and a neck surgery, dragging and processing the 100 pounders makes more sense...since we hunt for food.
Still, for those who hunt, I hope you find what I have found in the woods. This year, for me, the woods provided both the food and the spiritual connection I needed.
My condolences to you and your family. She is at peace now. I went through similar 8 years ago with my father. Knowing it is going to happen does not stop the feelings. You are in my prayers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts