Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any crossbows out there suited to shooting small game like squirrels, hare and rabbits?

It seems to me most crossbows are marketed for deer hunting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just about any of the slip on rubber or plastic blunts as well as the Judo points work well from a crossbow. The HTM rubber blunts work especially well if you weight them with some lead birdshot to approximate your broadhead weight. I have some 175 grain ones that hit like a ball bat on a wet sandbag. Once you have the weight you want, tap it to settle the shot, dribble in some fletching cement and let it dry. Plastic jugs flled with the expandable insulation foam that comes in a can for $5 works great. Have about 10 jugs ready, fill them half way, and come back in an hour. Spray paint them to resemble critters and you're ready to practice. Rabbits and squirrels at 30 yards make deer seem simple indeed!

·
30 Posts
I've taken squirrels with my crossbow using those heads that are made for squirrels and birds. I don't know what they are called, but they have a blunt tip and the finger wire projections so that the crossbow bolt doesn't go too far. It's worked well so far. I don't shoot very far when shooting squirrels so I don't have any knowledge of shooting them past about 50 or 60 feet using those heads.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The wicked fast kind is what I would recommend! I particularly like my chances with the Desert Stryker and hope to get an opportunity this fall.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I just use my regular ol' crossbow, and the bolts aren't that bad to find. Just like any other game. I do use old arrows I've cleaned up, and not new ones to shoot squirrels, small pigs and varmints.

·
211 Posts
I small game hunt with mine, I use judo points(same as i do with my vertical bow small game arrows), judo points work good as far as arrow recovery, in fact I havent lost an arrow yet small gaming with them, they do tend to make a mess of the game when hit though

I've also noticed that my small game crossbow arrows usually take quite a bit more damage from a bad shot or "stump" shot than my vertical bow arrows, which is to be expected I guess...

·
1,426 Posts
g 5 for me

I am going to try the G5 small game heads with three forward swept claws and a blunt center, looks wicked, bet it will do the deed... hope so at least.
dk

·
329 Posts
to all,

an old friend of mine from "high school daze" routinely takes TX jackrabbits with a XB. (fwiw, jackrabbits make good candidates for the crock pot.)

his arrows are "tipped" with a empty .30caliber carbine case. (he shoots a M1A1 carbine a LOT for varmits, so he has plenty of empty cases.)

it seems to work GOOD. (Jerry said that he sees no point in buying special points for small game, as empty cartridge cases work FINE & for little cost.)

yours, tn46

·
211 Posts
I've never heard of that before...

I use judo points not so much for their killing efficiency, theres alot of good small game head around for that, but for the fact that the arms on the head grab the ground and usually stop the arrow pretty dead in its tracks, preventing an otherwise lost arrow, thats a major plus in the brush I hunt it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts