Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ASAP arrows coming to Barnett: SPINE INDEXED, WEIGHT MATCHED ARROWS WITH PLASTIC VERSA NOCK. $13.50 each.

Lot's of credit goes to HuntersThompson. Recently we have collaborated with Farm Deer to build a .246 diameter, smaller size arrow. Mike and I will be testing these arrows soon. Here is what you get for $13.50 once these arrows are ready for prime time. They will be spine indexed with matching diameter size ballistic polymer grade Versa Nocks to fit these .246 diameter arrows. I would think they could work in many different crossbows but know it should be a great fit for the TS370, TS380 and TS390 as as well as XP style Xbows.

Mike can speak more to the benefits he's actualized shooting these smaller diameter arrows. The ultimate value as I see it are better structural integrity arrow that lasts longer for consistent long range shooting.

Spine indexed arrow are a great value at at this price. I expect POI penetration will be more effective vs traditional diameter arrows too. Personally, I'm quite excited about this arrow development. It's one of the reasons I just purchased the TS380 Xbow. This is a very cool play.

Note: Mike or I are not affiliated or get any special deals from ASAP just passionate to getting a great arrow to shoot out of TS380, TS370 and TS390 Xbows. I expect this will work on other Xbows too. Now a lot of credit has to go to Mike because he spent several hundred dollars of his own cash on these arrows and sent them to Farm Deer to be built and tested to specs.

HyperFlite shooters keep the faith and stay in contact with FarmDeer for those even smaller diameter arrows. He can build anything and could be an alternate resources for Hyperflite Xbows. He just needs to understand the need.

The ultimate goal for .246 smaller diameter arrows was to find a perfect center line contact from the nock to string when cocked. These arrows should resolve that issue. The end result with the VersaNock will provide the ultimate consistent flying arrow that achieves repeatable accuracy from a product side. Now the Indian has to his job too. :p

Shoot On! Exciting things in development regarding top tier arrows for Barnett users. To be continued.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
It will be a nice option for ones either wishing to purchase crossbows that accept these arrows or ones that
already have these crossbows. Barnett has had nothing listed as being in stock for along time in regards
to the Hyper arrows and Hyper crossbows with the exception of the recent Hyper Tac Pro 430.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction: $13.50 not $13.25 per arrow.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Hi Tom,
Yes, the important element is matching the centerline of the string to the arrow nock. As we have discovered the string is actually lower to the nock centerline on Barnett bows we have investigated.
Evidence of parrellel lines down the side of the arrow shaft, more pronounced at the nock, is due to the engagement of the string to nock pulling the back of the arrow down toward the rail.

Hunter contacted me regarding his own experiment that has proven to reduce miss-alignment and improved accuracy exponentially. The arrow build with these shafts are normal build procedures. However, the nock must be custom made for the crossbow application while matching the shaft OD.

Kudo's to Hunter for his time and effort to discover a resolve.
FD

·
Vendor
1,314 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the feedback.. One of the issues especially with high powered crossbows and smaller dia arrows is the ability to recover and maintain energy to the target and on impact. Typically that is where the larger dia helps out..

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the feedback.. One of the issues especially with high powered crossbows and smaller dia arrows is the ability to recover and maintain energy to the target and on impact. Typically that is where the larger dia helps out..
Both arrows weigh the the same,414 gn,same length 19 inch at 45 yards. New target

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The skinnyer the better....lol. I'am anxious to try the broadheads from my hyper pro with the skinnys. Good luck with ur new combo Hunters..!!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
What is the GPI for these arrows and inner shaft wall thickness, Mike?
Gpi is 9.3, the same as a zombie. iD is .246. Which means much thicker wall. I am sure FD can tell us the shaft wall thickness. Beyond my tool capabilities. I am not claiming any expertise,just a deep interest,hence sending to someone who can fully push this to its limit.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
The skinnyer the better....lol. I'am anxious to try the broadheads from my hyper pro with the skinnys. Good luck with ur new combo Hunters..!!
I have had no problem with the skinny s accuracy up to 415 fps , very hard hitting and very accurate. Shoot very flat.
Too much emphasis on Diameter rather column strength and modulus. Strength is not directly related to stiffness. Although a "stiff" shaft may have less deflection, high modulus is more prone to fracturing/splintering. Many have shared that the "Stiff" shaft offerings have broken into many sections when it struck an animal/target. Some will fracture at nock end due to the hardness of the shaft.
A good way to understand the difference is bending a piece of 1/8" plexiglass verses glass. The glass is harder/stiffer but prone to fracture at very little yield force whereas the plexiglass will "give" and conform rather fracture/break. Very stiff shafts are also much more difficult to "find the spine" when building match grade arrows.

Softer shafts take longer distance to recover from the buckling affect. Meaning, a stiff shaft may recover at 7-10 yards whereas a soft shaft may need 15 yards. Recovering being where the shaft gains original "flatness"/TIR.

So, don't be fooled by someone stating that a softer shaft will not perform as well as a stiff shaft. The accurate statement is that in a 400 FPS bow, for example, verses a 480 fps, the arrow on the 400 will recover in less distance off the front of the bow then that exact arrow would do coming out of the 480. HOWEVER, IF the arrows are spine indexed then the POI of stiff verses soft will be the same arrow to arrow.

Lastly, IF "skinny" shafts were such an issue then why would vertical bow owners have used them for decades. High speed video's on u tube show the deflection recovery rate of arrows at 32".

Have a great Day,
FD

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Gpi is 9.3, the same as a zombie. iD is .246. Which means much thicker wall. I am sure FD can tell us the shaft wall thickness. Beyond my tool capabilities. I am not claiming any expertise,just a deep interest,hence sending to someone who can fully push this to its limit.
Hunter,
These shafts are.028" wall.
Normal average shaft is .300" ID X .346" OD is .023" wall.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Too much emphasis on Diameter rather column strength and modulus. Strength is not directly related to stiffness. Although a "stiff" shaft may have less deflection, high modulus is more prone to fracturing/splintering. Many have shared that the "Stiff" shaft offerings have broken into many sections when it struck an animal/target. Some will fracture at nock end due to the hardness of the shaft.
A good way to understand the difference is bending a piece of 1/8" plexiglass verses glass. The glass is harder/stiffer but prone to fracture at very little yield force whereas the plexiglass will "give" and conform rather fracture/break. Very stiff shafts are also much more difficult to "find the spine" when building match grade arrows.

Softer shafts take longer distance to recover from the buckling affect. Meaning, a stiff shaft may recover at 7-10 yards whereas a soft shaft may need 15 yards. Recovering being where the shaft gains original "flatness"/TIR.

So, don't be fooled by someone stating that a softer shaft will not perform as well as a stiff shaft. The accurate statement is that in a 400 FPS bow, for example, verses a 480 fps, the arrow on the 400 will recover in less distance off the front of the bow then that exact arrow would do coming out of the 480. HOWEVER, IF the arrows are spine indexed then the POI of stiff verses soft will be the same arrow to arrow.

Lastly, IF "skinny" shafts were such an issue then why would vertical bow owners have used them for decades. High speed video's on u tube show the deflection recovery rate of arrows at 32".

Have a great Day,
FD
I'm by no means an arrow builder but totally agree with this, my accuracy has been very good, only issues I've had is with outsert bending after hard hits on animals. I don't have any kind of dial indicator to check run out after repedivly shooting into my spiderwebb but after spin testing they look good.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts