Crossbow Nation banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I just read the opening posts title and think to myself, who cares and why?
Why do I need a smaller diameter arrow? Vertical guys maybe some.
Crossbows?
I dont see it.

I dont have anywhere near the M.O. that some of the major players have and I can drive a typical arrow through a mac truck.
Whats the advantage?
A smaller arrow is going to ride lower (than designed) on most crossbows today (bad deal) and even for the non-rail people...where is the upside?

Please enlighten me.
Obviously this post is not for you so why are you commenting?

IF you read the entire thread there are benefits regarding nock alignment to the string, holding the line in windy conditions at POA vs traditional Xbow arrows. Better penetrations with these arrows as well.

Weather permitting I'll be shooting tomorrow. Both XP and TS Xbows.

To be continued.

Reactions: JCAT and dynamo61

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
My Barnett XP400 shoots lights out just under 400fps with a 426gr arrow. What’s crap about that, because it didn’t cost 1500$ plus.
PBR that's a fast shooter. Good luck! Great looking camo on the XP400.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
136 Posts
Obviously this post is not for you so why are you commenting? IF you read the entire thread there are benefits regarding nock alignment to the string, holding the line in windy conditions at POA vs traditional Xbow arrows. Better penetrations with these arrows as well.

Not for me? You say this post is not for me and then you go on to speak to the points that I addressed, pertaining to the subject. In fact, you say that what I spoke to is covered in this thread.
So I am having a hard time understanding how it is not for me. Perhaps what you meant to say is that you do not wish to hear descent on the subjects supposed attributes, beyond nock alignment.

Pretty much everything you speak to (above) has been taken through the discovery stage more than a decade ago by tens of thousands of archers. An entire empire was built on the superiority premise of micro diameter arrows and after years of discovery, that fad was pretty much ended as each claim was shown to be far less realistic than stated by the manufacturers and their spokesmen. Particularly in regard to penetration, save those shafts carrying outserts.

You (and anyone) could head over to Archerytalk and spend days on end reading on the subject, as it had been hashed out for years on end, on that site. Bowsite would also provide countless hours of educational reading to be had, for anyone wanting to see the actual work that people have put in with these micro diameter arrows.

Certainly a positive, for addressing an issue with Barnett ( as I am told) but these other claims are the same old claims that were made way back when AFC and Beeman first introduced Micro diameter arrows some 30+ years ago and again when Victory jumped on the re-introduction of the micro diameter arrow.
Sounds good and looks good in the videos that were made to sell this idea but the claims have been pretty much debunked on the whole.

Just hate to see people wasting time and money on things that are not new, based on the same claims that are no different than existed to sell the original idea so long ago, when speaking to topics such as penetration and flight. Especially penetration, as if that was an issue with bows that double the energy of vertical bows out of the box. Vertical bows which has been proven more than effective for the very same task.

Carry on.

Weather permitting I'll be shooting tomorrow. Both XP and TS Xbows.

To be continued.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Dude, you throw down on this thread and know very little about it. This thread is about alternatives and obviously u don’t get that. Why do you even bother posting in a thread you have no interest? It’s nothing more non productive rhetoric.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Okay, shot DRT385 with 405 grain Head Hunter arrow at 396fps. Shot at TS380 shooting Gold Tip Hunter .302 inner diameter arrow at 412grains, 375fps. I got noticeable deeper penetration with the skinnier arrow shooting slower speeds. Interesting!!! Liking these arrows for my TS380. It's a perfect match. More shot testing to be continued

·
Registered
187 Posts
Okay, shot DRT385 with 405 grain Head Hunter arrow at 396fps. Shot at TS380 shooting Gold Tip Hunter .302 inner diameter arrow at 412grains, 375fps. I got noticeable deeper penetration with the skinnier arrow shooting slower speeds. Interesting!!! Liking these arrows for my TS380. It's a perfect match. More shot testing to be continued
Glad you’re testing and liking the smaller diameter arrows out of the Barnett’s. I might have to pick your brain before I make an order for myself. I would still like to be around the 426gr weight if that’s at all possible. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
144 Posts
Faster than advertised is impressive! Might have to buy a batch for my xp

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Please let HuntersThompson and me do more testing. We want to make sure testing is thorough.

Reactions: mike-s

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for digging into this subject guys. For me the real test will be how these arrows do in the accuracy department compared to conventional larger size shafts, especially with various broadheads. I don't think penetration is the biggest issue with modern crossbows, but every extra bit helps.
On my xp380 there is definitely a mismatch between the arrow diameter and how the string adapts to the nock when cocked. Also I have noticed distinct wear marks on the rail side of the arrows I'm currently using (BEE's).
Common sense tells me that if the nock alignment is not perfect that should affect the flight coming off the rail which would affect broadhead accuracy.
I'm staying tuned!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
too bad they slap 170€ on top of US prices at EU

was thinking if there is any other way to make perfect fit
I get clipped pretty good importing items from the U.S.A.
Take the price of the product, shipping and import fee,
the add approximately 35% currency conversion to that total.

As an example: a few years ago I purchased a Spyder
Web target valued around $209.00 U.S. By the time it
arrived in Canada I had spent $535.00 Canadian.

One really has to want something bad and hope it is excellent
quality to warrant making some of these purchases.

As for wage increases, this may sound good. The manufacture,
shipping and business has to charge more to pay the employee.
Sometimes the additional increase the employee receives will
put them into a higher income bracket where they pay more
income tax and end up taking less money home than before
the wage increase. I have had this happen a couple of times
over the years and have wished I could have refused the increase.
Meanwhile the government is smiling.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Thanks for digging into this subject guys. For me the real test will be how these arrows do in the accuracy department compared to conventional larger size shafts, especially with various broadheads. I don't think penetration is the biggest issue with modern crossbows, but every extra bit helps.
On my xp380 there is definitely a mismatch between the arrow diameter and how the string adapts to the nock when cocked. Also I have noticed distinct wear marks on the rail side of the arrows I'm currently using (BEE's).
Common sense tells me that if the nock alignment is not perfect that should affect the flight coming off the rail which would affect broadhead accuracy.
I'm staying tuned!
Wear marks on the non?. I'd be checking cam lean. I added twist to bottom yoke strings to level the cams and eliminated nock wear. Good luck. Nock misalignment can cause this as well.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Faster than advertised is impressive! Might have to buy a batch for my xp
He shot a headhunter out of the DRT 385. 396 fps. That is the arrow that came with it. He shot the .302 Out of his ts 380. The TS models are the only models these have been tested on yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tom, no wear on the nock. It is on the shaft close to where the nock is inserted, on the rail side.
I have not checked for cam lean yet, I assumed it is from the downward pressure from the string/nock alignment

81 - 100 of 115 Posts