Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a gentleman ask me a few months ago if I could make a Stirrup for a Ravin.
I asked him why such a thing was needed. He noted that when hunting from a blind or on the ground with a Ravin, it often times is difficult to keep the front of the bow out of the dirt. He also noted that if you have a arrow with a broadhead that protrudes in front of the bow, you can't just prop the front of the bow on the ground.

Well the more I thought about it, I realized he had a good point but I was so busy making Bird mounts, I just couldn't find the time to help him. So I finally decided I needed to purchase another 3D printer dedicated to development projects. I'm pleased to say that sucker finally arrived after waiting for almost 3 months.

Here's a sneak peek of the results. I'll provide a video later but it can be snapped on your Ravin in less than
10 secs. and is plenty strong to allow you to cock and decock your crossbow after placing it on the ground.
Likewise, it can be removed in just a few secs. as well.
Furthermore, it will come with a pair of Ranger bands that can be easily attached on the back. With these installed, you can hang it form a tree branch or anything else you like with no worries of it coming loose. It also protrudes 2-1/4" in front of your Ravin.
I haven't weighed it yet but it probably weighs less that 2 ozs. so it won't be a weight burden if you want to keep it on your Ravin. I won't be selling these until more testing is done and the gentleman who suggested it is offered his for trial. But as always, I would welcome your feedback whether it be positive or negative.

Thanks,
Bird

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's a cool idea! Hope testing goes well. I am planning to do a lot of ground hunting this year. And that will sure would come in handy.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Looks great, good work BigBird1.
Which Ravins will this work with?

Reactions: Texas Grown

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great, good work BigBird1.
Which Ravins will this work with?
Hey Dynamo,
Hopefully, it will work on any Ravin because the front end appears to be the same. Some are just shorter than others but all are long enough.
However, I've only tested it on a R9 and R10 because that's all I own. My plan is to test on a R26 and R29 next. It's probably going to be most beneficial on the R26/R29 because they are more ideal for ground blind hunting.
BTW, I just weighed it and my original estimate was off by a half an oz. It actually weighs 2.5 ozs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dang 2.5oz for a stirrup is crazy. I'd pay good money for an above limb quiver mount from you. The munchmount is mostly okay but its heavy and there is definitely room for improvement on other aspects too.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Looks like it serves it's purpose, and keeps it light.

Reactions: Texas Grown

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang 2.5oz for a stirrup is crazy. I'd pay good money for an above limb quiver mount from you. The munchmount is mostly okay but its heavy and there is definitely room for improvement on other aspects too.
Sounds, like I have another project after this one is complete. Several folks have asked about a different quiver mount. Actually, I doubt the below limb Ravin quiver mount will work on the R26 with my stirrup installed so I'll have to address that problem anyway.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked him why such a thing was needed. He noted that when hunting from a blind or on the ground with a Ravin, it often times is difficult to keep the front of the bow out of the dirt. He also noted that if you have a arrow with a broadhead that protrudes in front of the bow, you can't just prop the front of the bow on the ground.

Well the more I thought about it, I realized he had a good point but I was so busy making Bird mounts, I just couldn't find the time to help him. So I finally decided I needed to purchase another 3D printer dedicated to development projects. I'm pleased to say that sucker finally arrived after waiting for almost 3 months.

Here's a sneak peek of the results. I'll provide a video later but it can be snapped on your Ravin in less than
10 secs. and is plenty strong to allow you to cock and decock your crossbow after placing it on the ground.
Furthermore, it will come with a pair of Ranger bands that can be easily attached on the back. With these installed, you can hang it form a tree branch or anything else you like with no worries of it coming loose. It also protrudes 2-1/4" in front of your Ravin.
I haven't weighed it yet but it probably weighs less that 2 ozs. so it won't be a weight burden if you want to keep it on your Ravin. I won't be selling these until more testing is done and the gentleman who suggested it is offered his for trial. But as always, I would welcome your feedback whether it be positive or negative.

Thanks,
Bird
OK guys. My awesome wife helped me with a video this morning to demonstrate my latest creation.
Speaking of my wife, she has also joined in to help me make Bird mounts and other parts as demand has exceeded supply. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate her and all that she does for me and my kids.
Again as you can tell, videos aren't my thing but I hope you can see how this new Ravin snap-on stirrup works.
Also as many of you are senior citizens like me, I hope you can appreciate the 'head scratching' that went into designing and making it.

As I mentioned before, more testing needs to be done with the small Ravins before I'm going to start selling these things. I'm addressing that now but it might be as late as the December time frame with hunting season rapidly approaching.
Thanks in advance for watching.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds, like I have another project after this one is complete. Several folks have asked about a different quiver mount. Actually, I doubt the below limb Ravin quiver mount will work on the R26 with my stirrup installed so I'll have to address that problem anyway.
That's a good looking stirrup. That took a lot of thought. Before you start on a quiver bracket I wanted to tell you what I learned the hard way. With the factory mount quiver when you carry the bow on your shoulder the arrows are facing forward and when they catch on brush it pushes them into the quivers grippers ,no problem. I mounted my quiver on top and now it faces to the rear and when it is shouldered and you go through brush it pops the arrows out of the weak grippers and when you get ready to shoot empty quiver. It takes very little to pop them out. FYI

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good looking stirrup. That took a lot of thought. Before you start on a quiver bracket I wanted to tell you what I learned the hard way. With the factory mount quiver when you carry the bow on your shoulder the arrows are facing forward and when they catch on brush it pushes them into the quivers grippers ,no problem. I mounted my quiver on top and now it faces to the rear and when it is shouldered and you go through brush it pops the arrows out of the weak grippers and when you get ready to shoot empty quiver. It takes very little to pop them out. FYI
Thanks HunterB,
That's a real good point. It's nothing like talking to an experienced Elk hunter. They make experienced whitetail hunters look like amateurs.
Been there and done that.
Actually my preference for the next project is a clamp-on R26/R29 like forearm grip for the R10/R20.
I've been looking at it for a while and now have the equipment and additional experience gained to make it happen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK guys. My awesome wife helped me with a video this morning to demonstrate my latest creation.
Speaking of my wife, she has also joined in to help me make Bird mounts and other parts as demand has exceeded supply. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate her and all that she does for me and my kids.
Again as you can tell, videos aren't my thing but I hope you can see how this new Ravin snap-on stirrup works.
Also as many of you are senior citizens like me, I hope you can appreciate the 'head scratching' that went into designing and making it.

As I mentioned before, more testing needs to be done with the small Ravins before I'm going to start selling these things. I'm addressing that now but it might be as late as the December time frame with hunting season rapidly approaching.

Great looking stirrup Bill. One can easily see the craftmanship and quality you've put into another super accessory for our Ravins. I think you also did a fine job demonstrating the installation and removal of the stirrup. Please tell your wife she did a very nice job recording the video. Thanks again for sharing your super talent and ingenuity with so many of us and spending time devolping and testing these extremely nice products.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great looking stirrup Bill. One can easily see the craftmanship and quality you've put into another super accessory for our Ravins. I think you also did a fine job demonstrating the installation and removal of the stirrup. Please tell your wife she did a very nice job recording the video. Thanks again for sharing your super talent and ingenuity with so many of us and spending time devolping and testing these extremely nice products.
Thank you Sonny.
You and yours be safe with those storms coming and I pray you have no property damage as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bigbird, I just got the opportunity to watch the video. It's beginning to fascinate me with what goes on in that mind of yours! 😁
You are definitely a gifted person sir. 🙂👍

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bigbird, I just got the opportunity to watch the video. It's beginning to fascinate me with what goes on in that mind of yours! 😁
You are definitely a gifted person sir. 🙂👍
Texas Grown,
You're beginning to sound like my wife. She's always telling me "I don't know what's going on in that mind of yours but you need to get it together".
I've learned over the years the correct answer is "Yes Ma'am - whatever you say".

·
Registered
40 Posts

Thanks,
Bird
How does a fellow Ravin Shooter purchase a trigger boot or whatever you call it I’ve had the same issue having bigger hands

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How does a fellow Ravin Shooter purchase a trigger boot or whatever you call it I’ve had the same issue having bigger hands
Sir, you should be able to click on my avatar and select 'start a conversation'.
I'll be glad to help you if I can.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Very nicely done, Big Bird and Mrs. Bird! I've been shooting an R10 for a couple years and I'm now considering a R29X. The R10 is just long enough to set in a Caldwell Fieldpod when hunting from the ground. The R29 may be too short and need another one of your genius inventions to fit in a rifle rest.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nicely done, Big Bird and Mrs. Bird! I've been shooting an R10 for a couple years and I'm now considering a R29X. The R10 is just long enough to set in a Caldwell Fieldpod when hunting from the ground. The R29 may be too short and need another one of your genius inventions to fit in a rifle rest.
Thanks Joe. I appreciate the kind words but I'm not sure my wife is too keen about being called Mrs. Bird.
I thought I'd use this opportunity to give an update on testing of my new Ravin snap-on stirrup project
A great CBN member named VSarchery was the original inspiration behind this project. He has now received his complimentary stirrup and has graciously offered to assist me with testing.
He not only owns a R10 but also has access to an R26 and R29 so testing should be thorough.
I made a 2nd. production version for myself last week and have been doing my own testing on my R10.
I must admit I'm very surprised with the results. A broadhead on a 20 inch arrow definitely protrudes beyond the front of a R10. This can be problematic when hunting in a blind but it's no problem with the stirrup mounted. Also, I have discovered it's definitely easier to cock and decock my R10 with the stirrup mounted because you don't have to bend over as far.
In addition, VSarchery sent me a pic. showing that his R10 fits just fine in the soft case even with the stirrup mounted. This was strictly by accident but a pleasant surprise nonetheless.
Further testing results will be forthcoming but I can tell you this. The stirrup is not coming off of my R10 anytime soon. I'm rapidly getting spoiled by it and am indebted to VSarchery for thinking out of the box with his suggestion to try and design one.
Here's a couple more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like a 26 version would greatly help those owners because of how far the arrow extends past the limbs
Hi Ramrod,
Yep, I probably will have to make the end adjustable just for the R26 and 20" arrows. That's no big deal but it will increase cost.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts