Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going hunting in 8 days and have to decide on how heavy arrows I'm going to need. The problem I have is that I'm going after impala(notorious string jumpers) and eland. The arrow needs to be fast enough for the impala and heavy enough for the eland. I've tested 3 arrow weights and think ill be going with the 486gr arrow. Look at the stats. Which one would you take?

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I'd use the 486 which should do the job on the Eland which can be a very big animal. Shot placement is critical and a durable broadhead is a must. Good luck!

Reactions: GSX42 and JH HUNTER

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Thanks I'm going with the 486. Will be using 150gr Ozcut 3 blade.

Looks HD! Test with it.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, the 486 will be plenty but if one is gonna jump the string you won't be able to prevent that with faster speeds. From what I hear, don't shoot when their heads are down. They are even closer to their jump (ie: if their heads are up, they have to lower their head before they jump).

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did that hog break your arrow? Sure looked like he ran slap over it.
No Robert luckily not. I washed it and shot an Impala with the same arrow. I had the sharpening stone with me, 20 strokes on each side were enough to get the broadhead razor sharp. B the way she ran 30 yards, stopped and fell over dead. The impala ram only managed 25 yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts