Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I finally got around to shooting my first crossbow, the Sniper 370. Loving it so far. The only issue I've came across is when I cock it the hook on the left gets caught on the anti dry fire switch. I've tried the hooks facing both up and down. The manual says facing up I believe, but when the hook's facedown it doesn't seem to get snagged as easily. I just don't want to have an accidental dry fire and damage something. I've attached a picture where there are marks from the hook. Please advise if I'm doing something wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello. I finally got around to shooting my first crossbow, the Sniper 370. Loving it so far. The only issue I've came across is when I cock it the hook on the left gets caught on the anti dry fire switch. I've tried the hooks facing both up and down. The manual says facing up I believe, but when the hook's facedown it doesn't seem to get snagged as easily. I just don't want to have an accidental dry fire and damage something. I've attached a picture where there are marks from the hook. Please advise if I'm doing something wrong.

yep, it hangs up. i have filed the hook some and it is better but it is not non touching.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
What you are experiencing is normal and for me, the hooks down method works best. I've been shooting Snipers since year 1 and this issue is an annoyance but not a serious issue. Keep your cocking rope short and perfect the cocking method and the slight bump on the CPS will become and non-issue. You may wear the black finish off the lower edge but you won't damage it.

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you are experiencing is normal and for me, the hooks down method works best. I've been shooting Snipers since year 1 and this issue is an annoyance but not a serious issue. Keep your cocking rope short and perfect the cocking method and the slight bump on the CPS will become and non-issue. You may wear the black finish off the lower edge but you won't damage it.

View attachment 193935
Glad it's not just me. Also I'll probably be doing your trigger upgrade at some point. I read the complaints and now I get what people mean. But can't complain otherwise for $250.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Glad it's not just me. Also I'll probably be doing your trigger upgrade at some point. I read the complaints and now I get what people mean. But can't complain otherwise for $250.
It's a very good xbow for $250 and well worth every bit of that. It's also a good bow to update and improve and that can be done pretty economically.

Reach out if I can help with the trigger. I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also filed one of the hooks down a little, it helps. And I highly recommend getting the trigger upgrade from Rich, if you like the crossbow now, you’ll love it after the upgrade.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Here is the solution. Just get rat tail file which is about 3/16" diameter. Then file the claw to this profile until it misses the ADF lever.
That ADF design was a engineering mistake. It was later addressed on other models such as the Spectre and Dagger. BTW those are much better crossbows.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Reactions: BuffaloBill

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
I dont worry about it. I just keep on keeping on.;):)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I dont worry about it. I just keep on keeping on.;):)
Well that's one thought.
I thought the idea in rope cocking is to produce equal pull on each side so the release is equally smooth resulting in good results.
But the ADF causes interference right about the time the cocking process is complete on tge left side. Go figure!

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
I only practice hunting yardages (out to 45 yards) and my arrows dont vary at those close distances. The 'interference' must be the same each time I cock the bow.;)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Good for you. I wanted better than the Sniper provided.
My Sniper had too much variation but it could have been the arrows. Over time that claw impact hitting that ADF boss will wear. I didn't like it.
I really doubt the Sniper could ever be any where near as accurate as my Ripper. The Sniper is poorly designed. That's my opinion.
Good luck!

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try filing it down a bit. So far the bow is as accurate as I need it to be to put meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Sniper is a very accurate bow, the only issue is the placement of the ADF. I’m using Jerry’s Spynal Tapps and cannot shoot at the same target spot, unless I want to damage my arrows. ;)
Are there better bows? Sure, but for what it costs, it’s a very good deal. I hope my new Patriot 415 shoots as well as my Sniper.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I agree with Huntion1. For any xbow model to survive for 5 years, it's been one of the best values of all time. I've been shooting all of the CenterPoint xbows since late 2015 and yes, the Sniper's Cocking Preparation Switch does interfere but not enough to create accuracy issues. The series of ManKung made xbows are CenterPoints best products and their lineage is clearly based on the Sniper's initial design. The new Wrath may be the biggest departure and also may be the biggest mistake going away from the tactical design and going a little too far up in price. The Spectre was a nice bow but way too expensive, was a bust and it should have been a case study for them. Time will tell.....

The Amped-Patroit-Heat bows are all good shooters, amazingly quiet and not too wide. With good arrows that model is a lights out shooter without question.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the same bow and same problem, design flaw. Get a sled cocker, this saluved the problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts

View attachment 193935
I am going to disagree with you that it is a big problem as it cuts the sting. Easiest solution get a sled cocker no more cutting the string.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Take a look at it one more time Robert. If you cock the Sniper correctly, the "string" clears the lower edge of the CPS by at least 3/16". If you are pulling the string that far off the rail you're creating the contact. No need to fix something that's not an issue.

Reactions: Stalker and mizo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you all for this thread. Just started shooting my Sniper 370 today, and I was blown away by the accuracy out of the box. The only snag was this issue with the cocking device hanging up. I had a feeling that others may have already run into this and posted a thread here. Ha.

Strikes me as a weird flaw to persist this many years into this model’s production, but whatever. I’ll file the cocking device down and roll with it. So far I think it’s a helluva crossbow for $259.99.

Cheers and good luck this season!

·
Registered
161 Posts
the file job works pretty good. mine shoots as tight as a friend's tenpoint. off a rest 3 shots probably group in 11/2'' at 35 yds., or less.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts