Crossbow Nation banner

So....How do You Spend The Hottest Summer Months?!?

Tags
it';s
2K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  Moon 
#1 ·
By the time that gets here I'm all but done fishing. Water surface temps above the 80* mark headed higher...not catching much of anything. Pleasure boaters EVERYWHERE as it is their time of the year (been there,. done that_). Freezer has enough fish to last thru the winter. Now.....just waiting!

Deer season 3 months away. Managing to swap camera cards every couple weeks and looking at the prospects for the new season fast approaching. Only working and coming home...abiding time with patience shooting broadheads getting READY for the season only early mornings when it's cool enough. HOT! Sweltry! (Is that a word??) Gotta check ladder stands and get them ready. Camo, adding chairs, building blind...etc! It's hot!:( Oh well...still gotta do what you gotta do! Come early Sept IT'S ON!!! Season's open! Every year the anticipation seems to be redundant (and every year as it nears I cannot wait!:)). I still get excited each and every year though.;)

What are your thoughts?!? Man! I cant wait for the new season….again, as I'm already seeing bucks!!:)

#2 ·
GA, I’m sitting here with a smile on my face thinking that’s how I used to be. I know exactly how you feel;-). The years have slowed me down but, like you, I still find myself regularly doing stuff with the upcoming bow season in mind, including possible equipment changes, stand location changes, new food plots closer to the farmhouse:), shooting as much as possible and getting ready to mess with some coyotes.

#6 ·
Summer is family time for me, reaquainting myself with everyone, fishing with the grandkids, a little pleasure boating with them, hiking in the mountains where it's 10 degrees cooler and planning for the fall. Up here the summer is pretty short and intense so we have to make the most of it. Blackflies, deerflies, mosquitoes and ticks make spending time in the woods a bit of a challenge so most of the time is spent out in the open where there's a nice breeze.

#11 ·
I'm there too gentlemen. My mind is already on deer camp ;) and I'm looking at my work calendar to plan time off for deer season.

Spring turkey hunting ended for me this past week so my spare time will be spent maintaining feeders and cameras here in Texas and in Arkansas. I'll be testing some new hunting gear as well and when temps drop to the 60s at night (rarely), I hope to get out to hunt hogs and varmints.

Summer usually involves family time meeting siblings somewhere and spending time with our grown up kids and their families.

X2 on soaking up the AC and regenerative napping!

Reactions: Gabowman
#12 ·
Million... things to do. Yet, the shooting part is always integral to it all.

#14 ·
We have one full family fish fry each summer. Planning for that. Running trotlines with the grand kids to get the catfish. They enjoy it, and their presence ups my hook count.
When it gets to the mid 90s, I stay inside and do very little. I also do skull mounts for friends with dermestids. Not finished yet with them.
Get fertilizer, seed and poison for my fall plots.

#19 ·
I hate the summer heat with a passion. I am a welder and welding in 90+ Temps plus humidity is the worst. I'll take freezing cold over summer heat and humidity any time u.

As far summer stuff to keep me busy I really enjoy running trail cams on mineral sites. Watching the antlers grow and identifying bucks from the previous year. Seeing the does with the big bellies then seeing the fawns show up on camera. I have 3 good bucks that made it through the season so I can't wait to see what kinda head gear they put on this year. Also shooting the crossbow and practicing for the next season. I am excited about using my new Horton vortec for this coming season. It'll be hard to top last year's buck but it'll be fun trying. Hope everyone has a great summer and stay cool if you can. Lol

#23 ·
I am in the western UP.... my wife loves to fish, but does not go out with me, in the dark of night searching for big browns, in very special places. Daytime is for brookies, late afternoons, she is on the walleyes, as I take care of the boat duties...... when the heat comes, the shores of Lake Superior, are the answer, and if I am lucky and get good winds, the surf board comes out, by Marquette, or other favorite breaks.

Fall comes very fast, heck it is still 39 degrees at night here, but the warm days are here, they just come in slowly,,,,

Anticipation of the fall, is what makes it so special. The smells and flavors of the upper great lakes in Sept, is something everyone should experience,,,, I know I have lived out west, and elsewhere,,,,,,

#24 ·
I am in the western UP.... my wife loves to fish, but does not go out with me, in the dark of night searching for big browns, in very special places. Daytime is for brookies, late afternoons, she is on the walleyes, as I take care of the boat duties...... when the heat comes, the shores of Lake Superior, are the answer, and if I am lucky and get good winds, the surf board comes out, by Marquette, or other favorite breaks.

Fall comes very fast, heck it is still 39 degrees at night here, but the warm days are here, they just come in slowly,,,,

Anticipation of the fall, is what makes it so special. The smells and flavors of the upper great lakes in Sept, is something everyone should experience,,,, I know I have lived out west, and elsewhere,,,,,,
You got that right , i am 2 hrs east of Marquette right across the road from lake superior .
When i am not working , which is 50 hrs a week , i am trying to finish my hunting camp ,i try and get my cameras out in late Aug , i find time to get out the bass boat and get on my lake for some pike and perch fishing ,shoot my bows a lot ,
normal grounds work on both places , need to get 12 cord of wood put up through the summer .
Like was said , before ya know it , deer season is here , i just try and enjoy my short summer , but 100% love Sept here in the UP my favorite of the 12 , second is Oct .

#27 ·
Just went down to the farm this morning. Peace and quiet is so nice!!!;-) Shot my TC Contender with 12” 204 Ruger barrel with a Zeiss long eye relief prototype 2-7x scope on it. I’ve had that barrel for 12 years and shot it for the first time today using store bought ammo. 1” 3 shots at 100 yards. Recoil is not bad at all. This handgun combo will be a coyote smoker. I tend to branch off a bit from my crossbow-only routine this time of the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.