Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this same question on another site and I was shocked by some of the responses I got. I figured I'd throw it up here to, just to see what you all thought.

I know a couple guys that are always complaining about non-resident hunters. They both absolutely hate them. I've also run into other hunters on public lands and they just give me a nose in the air and usually mumble something along the lines of "go hunt your state and not mine". I don't get it?I personally have never had a problem with it myself, even before I began to hunt out of state. I just was wondering if there are a lot people that have a problem with those of us who hunt out of state? I really don't see the big deal myself. Heck we have to pay a lot more in most cases to hunt out of state so doesn't that make up for it? Just thinking out loud.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Out of state

I really don't have a problem with out of state hunters,as long as they pay there fair share of the cost.
Most of the out of state hunters I have met have been good ,stand up hunters,very few in my area though.

I can see where there might be a problem in states with very high concentrations of O S H in some areas.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Those are the people who are willing to try new areas for different game, and learn more about people and hunting in other places. The adventurous type. Not a dam thing wrong with that!
The one's whining are those who hunt PUBLIC land, but consider it their own more than likely. Just like several vertical bow shooters consider the deer theres'. Same thing.

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bayou Excalibur said:
I believe it is are right to hunt where ever we please, as long as we respect the other hunters and that state's game laws.
That's how I feel as well but I've come across a lot of haters and I just don't get it.:D We're all Americans right? So why shouldn't we be able to hunt in other parts of OUR country?

·
542 Posts
Michigan says WELCOME to out of state hunters..........

·
110 Posts
I can see how this subject could be touchy... I know some hunters who hunt from out of state who are great guys and gals. And I enjoy meeting new people outdoors as they seem to be a better class of people with stronger morals and beliefs....But I do have a problem with hunters who hunt at 20 different ranches and kill 30 animals and pay 50,000 in guide fees, this is in excess in my opinion and wanton waste or greed. When we make our tradition of hunting for food into just a sport that is measured in gross scores and inches instead of a harvest of Gods bounty then our tradition is dead...

Five years ago I started questioning why I hunt...I only kill what I want to feed to my family now and I feel more of a connection to nature and God because of it...Just my 2 cents for what it's worth

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is that negative attitude that hurts all of us in the community. We should be able to hunt in whatever state we like. Non-resident licenses add revenue to the game commissions and additional hunters can aid in game management.

I will be a non-resident hunter for the first time this fall as we have a trip planned to Ohio for whitetail. Through a business contact we gained permission to hunt a good piece of property where the ownerhas a vineyard. Saw a REALLY nice rub there last spring and there are also a ton of turkeys. Can't wait!

I would hope that non-resident hunters do their homework on the property where they plan to hunt but there are always exceptions.

Best of luck to everyone in the coming seasons...

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
As long as they obey the rules and don't trespass or poach I say welcome! I often joke about the fact that there are no record bucks here. Move along nothing to see here. I hear there are really huge bucks in Illinois and so forth. But I don't really care if out of state folks come hunt in Ohio. I think we have enough deer to go around for the few out of state folks we get and they might just shoot themselves a monster. It's a sad thing when you have to leave your own state to hunt with a crossbow legally but we sure welcome the revenue from it.

Deer hunting in Ohio is estimated to bring $266 million dollars into our economy. That is not something that is easily ignored. I used to know a guy from MI and know 2 guys from PA that love to come over and get some crossbow action in our 4 month archery season. Who could blame them?

There was a lease next to a friend of mine's lease that had hunters from KY and WV. Those guys always had deer hanging in their campsite during gun season. All that neighboring activity drove a mammoth 12 pointer right past my friends stand the first year. The second year a killer 9 point. The third year a perfect typical 10 point. Who cares where they come from as long as they are pushing the deer and keeping the action going for everyone?

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Speaking of leases?

I have been checking lease rates in several states and I find they vary considerably,Some areas base lease prices on Bowhunting only,Gunhunting only, or Gun and bowhunting.
Here in Indiana I have looked at property's for lease and leasing agents are asking more than twenty dollars per acre, when only a small portion of the property is really huntable land.
In my area of central Indiana we are fast running out of land to hunt due to development.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Are you in the market for a lease SPECIALIZED? I may be able to find one or two small ones and possibly a huge one or two as well if it's not too late in the year. Not exactly in trophy country but well within the 6 deer zone.

·
665 Posts
Urban Legend said:
I live in Ohio but hunt many states. Anytime you want to hunt Ohio, I'll welcome you with open arms.
Do you have a pop up set up for me at your place or should I bring Mine:D

I think if you want to go to a different state and you show that state the same respect as yours

go for it, that is why we live in a free country

·
542 Posts
buckeye dan said:
As long as they obey the rules and don't trespass or poach I say welcome! I often joke about the fact that there are no record bucks here. Move along nothing to see here. I hear there are really huge bucks in Illinois and so forth. But I don't really care if out of state folks come hunt in Ohio. I think we have enough deer to go around for the few out of state folks we get and they might just shoot themselves a monster. It's a sad thing when you have to leave your own state to hunt with a crossbow legally but we sure welcome the revenue from it.

Deer hunting in Ohio is estimated to bring $266 million dollars into our economy. That is not something that is easily ignored. I used to know a guy from MI and know 2 guys from PA that love to come over and get some crossbow action in our 4 month archery season. Who could blame them?

There was a lease next to a friend of mine's lease that had hunters from KY and WV. Those guys always had deer hanging in their campsite during gun season. All that neighboring activity drove a mammoth 12 pointer right past my friends stand the first year. The second year a killer 9 point. The third year a perfect typical 10 point. Who cares where they come from as long as they are pushing the deer and keeping the action going for everyone?

This will be my first year with a crossbow in Ohio, I have hunted there for 2 years now,(only with a vertical bow). Seen several HUGE bucks without any shots, and passed up on a couple smaller bucks............Hopefully I can connect with the crossbow this year...

I am hoping that the new rules in Michigan this year, will let me hunt with a crossbow also........But this is Michigan so I don't really put much stock in the new regulations....

Rev.......

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
I hunt Pennsylvania and have never personally had an issue with an out of state hunter. Hunters are hunts as far as I am concerned the tag on their back make NO difference to me!

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm so glad to see such positive responses here!:hurray: I still can't believe in all of the hate for out of staters that I've heard. Example: heard of a guy getting his tires slashed because he was hunting state property and he was from a different state and from what I was told this was not the only instance in that particular area. Seems that someone was so upset with the OSH in that area that this destruction of personal property went on for quite a few years before the culprits got caught.:ack2: Down right ridiculous if you ask me. We are all hunters and we are all Americans. Why can't we just support one another? Sure there are some really bad apples out there but from my experience they are not the OSH, they are the state residence.:thumbsup:

·
76 Posts
I see no problem with out of state hunters, they pay extra to do so and deserve the same respect and opportunity to hunt as resident hunters. However, many believe they are taking "our deer", much like an organization that comes to mind.

·
509 Posts
Out of state hunters

All for it, if you truly want to take that great elk, mulie or (insert whatever game animal isn't in your state) than you must welcome people to your state. Bring it on, their higher fees help to keep the fees lower here in Texas. (License fees in Texas are cheap, it's the Darn ANIMALS that cost a fortune:D) So if I am reading this post right, we might have to organize a Crossbow Nation Ohio Deer thinning get together:D:D:D:D

Jake

PS....I'll bring the hogs for a big Texas Luau!!!!!

·
471 Posts
I have hunted quite a few different states over the years.
A lot of my invites came from message boards such as this. I have made many friends in other states while hunting so I have no problem with folks that want to come here and hunt. Only thing I expect of them is to hunt safe, courtious, and keep it legal.

V

·
0 Posts
Out of state hunters! Are still hunters & this is all of our country! i would love to hunt other states, if i can get Uncle Sam to multiply my monthly ck upwards several times i would. those that come to the state i live in lets hunt and enjoy the outdoors! cook outside by campfire have the beans cooking on the grate & deerburgers. thems my kind of folks by God!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts