Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Crossbow Nut
5,376 Posts
To me, the tippin point is 250 fps with a 400 grain arrow, but I really prefer north of 300. 400's fine, but I'm not ok with what I see as the cost in maintenance and reliability beyond that. You of course are entitled to your own opinion and I suspect many do not agree with mine hahaha.

·
5,493 Posts
Guess it depends on the person. Some of the speed freaks on here consider 425 slow. I thnk your initial thought was, unless a bow is super fast, there should be no problems with the durability. I started out with an Excal Vixen that I bought for our youngest son. It shot 275 fps. Killed deer, and in the years since, I’d say maybe 1 or 2 deer I shot might have either been a problem for the bow, or a passed shot opportunity. For the way I hunt, 320-325 is plenty. I can shoot 3d in the summer with a rig like that, which is another plus.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have two bows that shoot 445gn arrows at slightly less than 350fps, with today's designs I suspect for most that is about where slow starts. Seems about perfect to me, reasonable speed, reliable, and durable. I believe for me there is a point of diminishing returns somewhere just faster than 350-370fps. I'm not willing to do the required maintenance that it appears many of those bows may require.

I suspect those of us who are newer to crossbows (I have only been shooting xbows for 5-6 years) the slow threshold is higher than those with more experience of bows from 15-20+ years ago.

I also believe that the average crossbow shooter (not necessarily CBN members) would pick speed over reliability more often than not.

·
Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165. TB Custom Horton X-treme
793 Posts
To me, less than 350 with a 420 gr arrow, is a no go. Will less kill? Of course, but I've become accustomed to not being able to watch my arrow lazily make its way toward the target, and since the faster bows I have chosen have been reliable as well, I choose not to settle.​

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
What is slow n what is not ? I have owned shot n hunted with many of slow crossbows by todays standards 300 fps. I have killed couple dump truck loads of tick toters in that time. I had the old Exocet 165 carved tip model n vixen 150. Fps on the 165 was avg. 260 the vixen was 235. Sweet spot today 320 to 375. There be a few models out there that 375-400 is bread n butter, like the Scorpyds. Of course by todays sweet they are too wide to be able to kill tick toters with :)
Hey when i started with crossbows back in the mid 90's 235-285 fps was fast

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
196 Posts
I too am curious as to what target shooters will experience with shooting hundreds of arrows at 500+ fps long term . The hunting only guys will probably experience excellent long term relibility , but the target guys is a different situation. I probably ended up with about 130 arrows shot down my RDX400 (383 fps with a 440 gr arrow) from September to late Nov and so far zero wear issues.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I've been using a crossbow now for close to 10 years and my idea of a slow crossbow is anything under 300 fps in a hunting setup, this doesn't mean those slower crossbows won't kill deer efficiently because they will all day long. I'm not a speed chaser and my ideal setup for speed and dependability is from 320- 360 fps with a hunting setup. I killed my 2 biggest bucks this year in 40 years with a crossbow shooting 340 fps which is easy to cock, quieter than most and very dependable. Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back from the blind an read the responses…..and all hold merit. I entered into crossbow shooting at 450 fps…now down to 426 with a heavier arrow and that will blow through anything. I also started competition at around 310 and that is plenty for that venue and I would venture to say plenty for hunting as well. It is fun to hear the reasoning as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
My CamX 325 is considered slow... kills stuff though.
My Excal Vortex is rated 330 fps but shoots more like 300fps. Like bugsNbows, mine kills stuff too.;):)

·
Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165. TB Custom Horton X-treme
793 Posts
Just got back from the blind an read the responses…..and all hold merit. I entered into crossbow shooting at 450 fps…now down to 426 with a heavier arrow and that will blow through anything. I also started competition at around 310 and that is plenty for that venue and I would venture to say plenty for hunting as well. It is fun to hear the reasoning as well.

That has always been my thought process. If you have equipment that is capable of 450, it is always there to be able to bring it down with added weight, thus maintaining all the ke one could ever need. This always comes with the caveat of reliability. I try to avoid the unreliable, and if by chance get fooled, soon get rid of it. I'm going to add a smaller, .medium speed custom, and hope through some reasonable planning, that it is reliable. The ones I find that meet these criteria, I hang on to.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think the term "slow" bow is a moving target that changes every few years or so. Today, I would say that 350fps and below could be considered a memeber of the slow category, simply relative to the rest of the industry. A few years ago I would have probably said 300fps. As technology increases for the fastest bows, manufacturers are able to apply some of this tech to the "slower" bows and they can become more reliable. For example, a 350fps bow from 10 years ago would have been much less reliable than a 350fps bow designed recently. Soon, that same concept will be applied to the 400fps bows, and then the 450fps bows.

This is why I try to avoid knocking the 500fps bows too much. Since even though I have no desire for that much speed, I'm confident that the tech from those bows will aid in making other, slower, bows better and more reliable down the road.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I just read that any manufacturer can produce a fantastic slow bow…..so what does everyone consider a slow bow to be? Under 300?……250?

I have a Horton Legend that was said to be 300 fps which was new in 2000. It was considered fast and does fine.
So with that said less than 250 is slow for crossbows. Anything above is fast. Anything above 400 is very fast. Anything above 475 is extremely fast. LOL 😆 🤣 😂 😹

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
Baltimore, MD - Ten Point Viper S400
1,103 Posts
To me, the tippin point is 250 fps with a 400 grain arrow, but I really prefer north of 300. 400's fine, but I'm not ok with what I see as the cost in maintenance and reliability beyond that. You of course are entitled to your own opinion and I suspect many do not agree with mine hahaha.
I beginning to agree with you. Sure wish I would have read this two years ago! A slow bow to me and in today's word, 300fps. I think 5-10 year ago it would have been 200 fps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A lot of the older Hortons shoot under 300 fps, and I've killed plenty of deer with them. I've taken deer with recurve crossbows that shoot 240-250 fps. Speed is over rated, not to mention most crossbows shooting over 400 fps are breaking and having limb issues. 333 fps is a whole football field in a second, more then enough speed if you are taking ethical shots under 30 yds

1 - 20 of 83 Posts