Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but I've been around a long time, worked tons of national hunting shows and talked with a lot of folks that are hunters and "tropy collectors":rolleyes:

Here's my take on so called "world record" trophy animals:

Please don't take what I'm about to say personally. You could be one of the greatest bowhunters in the world, I don't know, but here's something to think about. First, there are are hundreds of thousands of bowhunters in this country that given the opportunity (financial and otherwise) could have world class trophy animals hanging on their walls. I personally know of 2 hunters that have some pretty awesome bear and deer trophies simply because they had the financial means to be able to go on those expensive hunting trips to Alaska and the Dakotas. They've never taken even a decent deer locally after years of hunting here. I'm not saying that by having the financial means ensures an automatic trophy hunt but it certainly greatly increases one's chances of taking a bragging class animal. With that in mind, I do think "big time" hunting has gone off the deep end. Bottom line is if you have the money, you can get the "trophy" and that IMHO does not make you a better hunter than thousands of those that are not as fortunate and are relegated to hunting close to home.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Isn't that the truth!! :D It is almost a given fact that one renowned "BowHunter" with many record book animals, pays outfitters and guide a healthy premimum to locate Record Book class animals..Once located AND PATTERNED , this person then goes with the guide to "hunt' the amnimal. What a crock of shiete!;)

Money can and does, buy people the opportunity to be 90% successful in bagging a record book animal.
They certainly aren't any better hunter than the average guy. They just have a shieteload more money than most hunters.

I've never taken a huge elk simply because I don't have the $20K plus it takes to hunt on private ranches where huge bulls are plentiful. Same with whitetail deer . I have killed very respectful bucks but don't have the $10K plus, to hunt with outfitters and guides who have exclusive rights to areas where Record Book class bucks live on exclusive private properties.

Hunting is a big money sport with more and more people capitalizing on rich peoples desire to shoot Record book class animals. I guess it is quite a status symbol to show off a huge deer, elk, bear, etc in your den or study to show rich friends what a macho,man and terrific hunter you are. YAH Right! Qhat a crock of bull dung!!:mad:

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
A Trophy Hunt?

Not knocking any form of legal hunting to each his own. But If all you get out of hunting Is shooting a Trophy ,you are missing a lot.
Given enough money,time and location most any hunter could take a trophy.

Case in point, a guy I know spent many thousands of dollars and about 1 hour to take a Huge Trophy White tail Deer.

Had a guy drive him around a ranch untill they spotted the right one,Standing by a feeder eating corn, shot the Deer ,Had the head mounted, scored, then on the wall.

Now he brags to all what a great hunter he is.

I dont think he would know a Deer track from a Tractor track.

Most of my friends who are hunters just laugh when he starts talking about his hunting Trip.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Well, I'm a guide myself and I see your point, but at the same time, most of my record book animals came from a lease I pay for and hunt and guide myself, or other ranches I ask to enter. I earned those animals by doing the hard work. So, I'm proud of what I have accomplished and just to let you know, I pay for this low fence lease for three months out of the year, and it costs me very little as it's a cattle ranch. It helps the owner pay the taxes, keeps the hog and coyote population down, and I get to hunt 90 days. I also volunteer to do varmint removal for the big game ranches for free and that gets me time to find and remove other animals that the ranch considers undesirable. I spend lots of time in the outdoors to do this, not money and someone elses' labor. My own time and labor, and experience.

Everything I shoot is not a record book animal either. For every entry I have, there are 5 or more animals that were taken for the table only. Why do I do this? It brings recognition to the crossbow in my state that's fighting to make it legal during whitetail season, and it is the very best tool I have found to recruit others, especially women and kids to hunting, and then to the crossbow hunting style. They want to do what I do. IMO there's not a dam thing wrong with that, but a lot of right things to do with that. So don't assume someone is paying a guide and outfitter to shoot in an hours time, after prescouting is done by a paid guide, and all those entries were "freebies" that were bought and paid for. That's crap! There are hard working hunters out there that do the work and don't have deep pockets. I am one of them. I work very hard to get what I have. No one can take it away from me either. I hunt hard, and I'm sure there are many others just like me. I make sure I arrange my time and my work so I can hunt 200 days a year. Yes, it takes effort to do this. I am a blue collar hunter.

Oh yea. I also go out of my way to write and publish outdoor stories of my hunting adventures with my crossbow for others to read, so it helps pass along information and experiences on hunting and hunting with a crossbow. It is also a great tool to recuite. When you can say this is a record book entry, face it, it brings more interest, and calls attention to what you are doing and how you are doing it. I've made good relationships with persons who work for our state Parks & Wildlife, from office personel to game wardens and they are always aware of what I am doing and how I am doing it, because I take the time to share in written stories and video.

It also calls attention to other hunting & sporting associations and organizations to help those understand that the crossbow is not a bad and evil weapon. They are moved FOR crossbows and that is due to hunters like me sharing, and teaching. I also volunteer to work with them at their events and outdoors promotions. I give my time and money to help them recuite more outdoors people and hunters. Probably more than what most others give to the "cause". Why? Because it's the right thing to do for US.

·
329 Posts
GG,

NOBODY is knocking you, as you are HONORABLE & a PRO.

otoh, i DESPISE the "canned hunt" people, who "buy themselves" a world class trophy!

i personally know of a "big game hunter" who went "on safari" about 10 years ago & stayed in camp, lounging about & swilling scotch, while his professional hunter "collected" his trophies FOR him.
(as he was "at one time" my BOSS, i had to sit quietly & hear his BRAGGING at the R&G club!!! ===> he makes me GAG!)

yours, texasnative46

·
Banned
364 Posts
Guide Girl

No body is slamming you personally If you happen to be a dedicated , honest and hard working guide/hunter that is very commendable.
I don't see why you got so upset. Certainly youo're not guilty of what this thread is really about?????

The premise of the thread is about those "Trophy Hunters" who do no more than pay outrageous amount of cash to have a guide spot,identify pattern and set up a so called hunter to make the killing shot. Then they brag about there expert hunting skills and all the hard work they went thru to bag their "Trophy"

So, take a chill pill!

·
327 Posts
Article I published in local Rod and Gun Magazine

You mean guys lke this....

I was prepping for a local hunt in a tract of woods that I had permission to hunt. I discussed the hunt with a friend of mine, whom Ill dub Ooops. Ooops fancied himself a great archer and begged to go with me. I was hesitant, but reluctantly agreed because Ooops has a bad leg and I would have to carry all of his gear, help him set up and walk at a painfully slow pace while he lumbered with his crutch behind me. But Ooops was a good friend so I felt obliged. I planned on hunting the following weekend and Ooops wanted to meet at my rod and gun club and do some Serious shooting. He had picked up a new bow and was eager to try it out. I agreed figuring this would be a good time to see if my friend was as good a shot as he claimed. Also, I had never seen a bow as expensive as the bow he had purchased.

Well, that weekend Ooops and I found ourselves at the archery range and he showed me the bow he had purchased, along with several others he had in, what was visually, a most impressive collection. The comedy of errors started immediately when Ooops tried to string up his bow. This is a relatively simple, painless process, but Ooops managed to struggle for several minutes; blaming his stringing tool, the bow itself but never his own incompetence. I strung Ooopss bows and then strung my own. We were now ready to shoot. I picked a target at twenty yards, drew back and let my arrow fly. I hit the third circle of the target. Not great, but it would still be considered a killing shot. Ooops began telling me that my form was wrong and that my release of the arrow was shaky. I nodded, smiled and waited as he prepared to take his shot. Ooops drew back and let fly, his arrow sailed over the target and about four feet to the left, disappearing in the woodland borders of the target range.
Gotta get used to this bow, man its fast. Ooops observed as he prepared to shoot again. His second shot was the right altitude, and would have hit the backstop if it wasnt so far left of everything. Again, this was another arrow that would have to be shanked from the woods. I stepped away from Ooops and decided I would be better off and safer if I shot at a different target, far away from Ooops and his expert marksmanship. I moved about ten yards away and shot at a different target. I took another dozen shots with my trusty bow and was pleased to see that there wasnt as much rust on my limited skills as I had anticipated. Each arrow found the eight inch circular target at twenty yards. They were not all dead center, but each shot would have produced a clean kill, the goal of every serious hunter. I prepared to pull my arrows from the target and continue when I glanced over at Ooops. Things were not going well.
You okay there, Ooops? I asked.
I dont know, this bow doesnt shoot right. Ooops replied.
Let me see. I replied making my way over to check out this $800.00 marvel.

I examined the bow carefully and it was really a thing of beauty. The Zebra wood was beautifully shaped and crafted. The black fiberglass overlays in the handle were nothing short of a true work or art.
May I? I asked gesturing towards my target.
Ooops nodded and I brought the bow over to my target and pulled three arrows from the target I had been shooting at. I knocked an arrow and took aim. like the whistling wind, this bow literally shot the arrow into the air. I was stunned at the speed this little beauty possessed. My arrow landed dead center on the target. OK, I thought that was just a freak shot. But I repeated the same shot with similar results two more times. The shots were not perfectly centered, but they grouped much tighter then the arrows I had shot from my bow. I glanced over at Ooops.
What we have here, Ooops, is a case of operator error. I announced lightheartedly.
Ooops looked at me funny before he realized what I was saying. He hobbled over and took the bow from me and shot again. This arrow went clear over the thirty yard target and sailed deep into the woods. There would be no way wed ever find that sucker.
What the hell are you doing, Ooops? I asked amazed. You told me you were a crack shot. I said in a light yet jibing tone.
Ooops was frustrated, still convinced it was the bow and not his skill with the bow. So, he picked up another bow as I went to find as many of his arrows as I could and pull the rest of mine free.

Bottom line, Ooops shot all four of his bows and lost nine of his fifteen arrows that afternoon. To be fair, he did manage to hit the target backstops and actually hit a few of the 8 inch targets at twenty yards. But, anything beyond twenty yards was just a nightmare. Ooops and I went out to dinner that night and we discussed his less than stellar performance. I told him that I was uncomfortable with him shooting at a deer based on what I saw today. Ooops said that it was just a bad day and that he was going to send the bow back to the manufacturer and get his money refunded; I simply bit my tongue and said nothing.

He said he was all set for our hunt and looking forward to it. I was hesitant about taking him and carrying his huge blind and other hunting gear. I decided Id set him up in a spot where I knew thered be little to no chance of him ever seeing a deer. Well, the day of our hunt finally arrived and we were off in the woods prior to sunrise. I was overloaded with gear, plus I had to carry a huge light to shine the way for Ooops as he hobbled along on his crutch. I spent an hour in the dark setting up Ooops huge hunting blind, seat and other stuff before I set out to the spot where I had put up a tree stand earlier in the month.

I climbed up into my stand about an hour after sunrise and prepared myself for the hunt, hoping that Ooops would have no luck and praying that the spot would be as barren as it had been for the past four years. I could just imagine him shooting a deer in the leg or front quarter. The animal would be injured and suffer needlessly. The poor thing would survive, in pain, until the winter, and then be hunted down by the coyotes. After about an hour of beating myself up mentally for taking him into the woods I spotted a small buck making his way toward me. I prepared myself for a killing shot. As the deer approached, something caused it to slam on the brakes. Even from my elevated position I could see its nostrils flaring. It had picked up a strange scent. I was high enough above the deer so I knew it wasnt me. Plus, I had a high quality cover scent to mask my presence. Something spooked the animal and he disappeared back into the woods the same way he had come. I sat in that tree for another two hours frustrated and angry at myself for letting Ooops talk me into taking him hunting. I believed he was a better shot than he displayed based on his word but somehow I doubted it. Reluctantly I climbed down and headed back toward Ooops blind. As I approached, I could smell the stench of cigar smoke. As I got closer, I could see little puffs of smoke coming from the shooting vents in his blind.
Hey! Ooops! I called out.
Several seconds later Ooops emerged with a cigar in his mouth and a steaming mug of some heated beverage which I discovered was hot chocolate with raspberry flavoring. I peeked into Ooops blind and there were food wrappers littering the ground and a spot in the Earth that he had used to dispose of at least three of his expensive imported cigars during the morning. I shook my head in disgust. I didnt yell, I didnt swear. I simply said that it was time to go. I told him to leave the blind and Id get it later. Ooops lit up another cigar and we were on our way. He told me how disappointed he was that he didnt see any deer. I said nothing but simply nodded as we headed back. Besides, its the thought that counts and my thoughts were nasty and brutal. I was glad Ooops was more interested in sitting down puffing away on cigars all morning; Im confident the deer felt the same way. The only person suffering at all today was me.

Ooops was happy though, he had been in the woods, he could now say he went hunting, that he spent time in the woods and Hunted. Im sure his hi society friends would be impressed. Whatever, I learned that not everybody belongs in the woods or hunting for that matter. Ooops was better off reading his hunting magazines, spending his money on bows hed never be able to shoot and talking about the woods and hunting rather than going hunting. As long as he didnt want to go hunting with me Id certainly be happy and our friendship could continue. Ooops offered to buy me a late breakfast, but I just wanted to get home. We parted company and at least he left happy and fulfilled. Looking back now it doesnt seem like that much of a sacrifice to make somebody happy.

I went home that morning, picked up the phone and called the bowyer that crafted Ooops bow. The man I spoke with was very happy to unload Ooops bow to me for $500.00 and I was very happy to take it. The bowyer was upset because no one had ever questioned the quality and workmanship of one of his products before. I explained to him that I was there when the bow was being fired. I also explained the concept of operator error and how it applied to this simply marvelous piece of craftsmanship. I got the big laugh I was hoping for. I told the bowyer that I had shot the bow and it far surpassed my current weapon of choice. I was complimented on my taste and rewarded with a $50 discount and express shipping. I wrote out the check and went down to the post office that afternoon. The day wasnt a complete loss and I wound up owing Ooops one after all.

·
11,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard of a "hunter"

that paid an enormous amount of money to take a trophy whitetail deer. He purchased the best most expensive rifle and world class scope money could buy. To make a long story short, He shot the deer very low in the brisket and did not recover the deer. The shot was less than 100 yards. The hunting outfit's rules are that if you draw blood you pay. Instead of owning up to the fact that he couldn't shoot, he played the blame game on his optics:ack2: and actually demanded that the company that made the optics pay for his expenses since the scope was obviously no good:eek: This is the kind of stuff that makes me ill.

·
Banned
402 Posts
from a guides point of view

From a guides point of view, There are men and women who work so much they have no time to scout for good results, for them time is so valuable,
They look forward all year long to a short hunt,some bring there sons and daughters,to enjoy also.
There are 2 sides to every story,They are hunters also just like the hunters who are hard core spend a lot of time in the woods hunters they buy license and purchase hunting equipment just like every one else,
Some of these people are all caught up in the corporate world and there sons and daughters would not be able to get a taste of success hunting without a good guide.There are some hunters full of hot air guided and un guided as with all sports.
Just ignore them if it bothers you, we are all brothers in hunting ,guided and unguided.
If a guide improves your success and you need there assistance I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING GUIDED>
we all were guided at one time by our fathers and uncles/grandfathers etc.
Some people never had that in there lives..

·
329 Posts
edmcclaskym,

there's a BIG difference in a "canned hunt" (especially "behind high fence") & a "fair chase hunt" with a professional guide.

one is HONORABLE;the other is NOT.

yours, texasnative46

·
Banned
364 Posts
edmclaskey

WTF??

No body was putting down all guides! This thread is about those people who literally buy their trophy animals and then claim to be expert, experience super hunters and thos unscrupulous outfitters and guides who cater to this type of people!!!

Most guides work hard for a hunter , are honest, reputable and provide an fair chase hunt. Some are scumbags who will do anything to make big $$. Having worked occassionally with the DNR as a specail wraden, I can speak first hand to that.

The rich and famous who pay outrageous amounts to have a trophy animal almost tied up for them to shoot, the unscrupulous guides and outfitters who cater to these types of hunts are what "most" of us are against.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Since some of the posts are off subject so: Where as Guiding is concerned, I've seen and heard it all. Or so I think I have. The inside stories. You wouldn't believe what some guides do to help thier hunter be successful. It's disgusting. Those are not guides, those are crooks insuring they make money. I don't roll that way, and never would for anyone. I have guided some of the members on this site so they can attest to how I work if they want to speak up and share. As easy as I'm going to be is to put you over bait, in an area where you could be successful, and it's legal to bait in Texas. The rest is up to you. Then, I will track and care for your animal when the shooting of a done deal. I try to teach what I know as we do it. We'll have alot of fun between hunts and make great memories too. Guides should be teachers of the outdoors, and not money oriented business people.

But what I want to comment on is the $$$$ part of hunting.
We all know people with money will always have money to hunt, but what I've noticed as a guide is there were so many less hunters last year paying for deer leases and day hunts. Also, not many were hunting trophy class deer, and were instead, hunting cull bucks and exotic does. With this economy and rising gas prices, it is knocking out the average family on spending disposable income for hunting, and that is so sad to me. It means people will have to forfeit that part of life so the $$ can go to necessities.
But, on the other side of it is yes, the prices to hunt these leases and day hunts has been so high and gaining in the past years due to supply and demand that without the average guy and family being able to afford it, the prices will have to go down now. Afterall, these deer and other game can only live for X amount of years. Maybe this economy is the silver lining to hunting opportunities in the future. I sure pray it is. Let me say this also. If you live in a state or country where it has public land to hunt, you are very fortunate. Texas is mostly private property, so you have to own land, or pay to hunt the land, or offer a good trade. I guide to help pay for my hunting, not make a living. I'd starve!
What do you think about the economy and hunting where you live?

·
Banned
364 Posts
GG. I believed all along that you are a first rate person so you have to be a first rate guide. I applaud you for your ethics and committment to insuring a hunt is fair chase and 100% ethical.

Where I live there is so much public land paying a trepass fee is virtualy unheard of. There are "guides" here but mostly for bear hunting. The "guides" set out baits and blinds, put a hunter in the blind and then it's up to the hunter to make the correct shot and decision. We have so called "outfitters" who take hunters on bear hunts with dogs. A lot of these "outfitters " have less the stellar reputations for obeying the laws. I think a lot of that is created by the people who pay for the hunt as they don't like paying and not succeeding.

I used to hunt elk in Colorado but gave that up becuase of the license cost and the availability of good places to hunt. NOw days the private ranches are all leased by outfitters or the trepass fees are outrageous. It would be far cheaper to go to a high fence operation if you really need to shoot an elk.

I have a good friend who lives in Texas and he recently gave up his hunting lease as the cost got so high it became prohibitive.

I have always had a problem with land owners charging exhorbiant fees for people to hunt. It goes against my grain. Used to be in Colorado you could pay a very reasonable trepass fee to hutn, not anymore. Hunting has become a rich man's sport. The average working smuck does not have the spendable income to justify $2500 minimum for a deer or elk trepass fee.

More and more state are following the same path. Missouri used to be a great place for big whitetails and fantastic turkey hunting. Now days hunting land leases are upwards of$200 an acre for a 7 day hunt.

I am forunate that I have great deer and bear hunting where I live and don't have to pay the trepass fees.

Keep up your high standards!!

·
342 Posts
I have enjoyed all aspects of this thread, almost everyone here has a very good point...I know GG from another forum and I know that her ethics and abilites as a guide are top notch...and I also see the points of others in where BIG MONEY = A THOPHY these days, anymore I have to limit my own hog hunting and deer hunting to public land, because it's all I can afford today...I am also not a person that is out for a thophy anyway...I have a cousin that lives in New Mexico and he is constantly telling me about all of his trophy hunts, and he has many many mounts....but the bottom line he has millions; he hunts whenever he wants, and he pays for that trophy...every time. He has never taken a big game animal on public land, but yet his home is covered with mounts, and where I get irritated he puts me down for hunting on public land, and in the same breath calls himself the hunting expert of the family...just due to all of his paid for mounts....so I do get ticked off a little. I think I am going to invite him to go and chase some hogs here in California on public land then we will see what he is made of.:D

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
targethogs said:
I have enjoyed all aspects of this thread, almost everyone here has a very good point...I know GG from another forum and I know that her ethics and abilites as a guide are top notch...and I also see the points of others in where BIG MONEY = A THOPHY these days, anymore I have to limit my own hog hunting and deer hunting to public land, because it's all I can afford today...I am also not a person that is out for a thophy anyway...I have a cousin that lives in New Mexico and he is constantly telling me about all of his trophy hunts, and he has many many mounts....but the bottom line he has millions; he hunts whenever he wants, and he pays for that trophy...every time. He has never taken a big game animal on public land, but yet his home is covered with mounts, and where I get irritated he puts me down for hunting on public land, and in the same breath calls himself the hunting expert of the family...just due to all of his paid for mounts....so I do get ticked off a little. I think I am going to invite him to go and chase some hogs here in California on public land then we will see what he is made of.:D
HELL YEA! Laughing! Public land is much, much tougher of a hunt for sure. It sounds like he needs a good reality check, and your just the man to help him out there. For me if given a choice, I'd rather hunt free range game anyday than a fenced operation. They both have different dilemmas and ease of use, all of their own. Pigs you can't fence in or out, don't care for daylight, so they are the most challenging of all North American game IMOA. Yea, take him for a non guided hog hunt and post the story and the pics. I'm ready to hear about an adventure like this for sure!

·
342 Posts
Guide Girl said:
HELL YEA! Laughing! Public land is much, much tougher of a hunt for sure. It sounds like he needs a good reality check, and your just the man to help him out there. For me if given a choice, I'd rather hunt free range game anyday than a fenced operation. They both have different dilemmas and ease of use, all of their own. Pigs you can't fence in or out, don't care for daylight, so they are the most challenging of all North American game IMOA. Yea, take him for a non guided hog hunt and post the story and the pics. I'm ready to hear about an adventure like this for sure!
LOL...I sure will...I will see if I can get him out here in the next month...I know just what buttons to push to get him here! All pics will be posted.

·
224 Posts
Moonkryket said:
Sorry but I've been around a long time, ....
Forgive me if I'm repeating myself, which is known to happen from time to time, but I let this VERY nice buck walk on by last day of bow season this year. I expect him to be a 10 and huge this year. He was/IS a nice looking 8
and NO sway to his back at all.

Technically this isn't public land but it is free range and borders right up against public land. He'll be MY world class trophy given the chance.

That's about 20 miles from where I type.....

Have a great sunday!!

Pete

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
1st SPARHAWK, that was a great story. Glad you got to share it with the rest of the world. I so understand what your talking about, as I get clients lie that and I'm happy when they go back home. But they are far and few between. Whew!

Targethogs,
Thank you for the wonderful comment validating my skills and views and ethics. I appreciate that.

Ed Mc, your exactly right as well. There are so many people that would not hunt if they didn't have a guide to teach them, or to give them the short cut version on the time it takes to do the home work. We would loose those hunters otherwise. The trend I've been seeing the past few years is the adults are giving up the hunting to give it to their kids. Some of these people are also simply single mothers, or fathers who have sat endlessly in the woods and never did it properly hence having no luck, and want to insure the kids learn the right way to do things to insure their success and interest in the outdoors. Lots of city folks out there now a days. Too many things to do, and not enough time in the day and age. I guide lots of people who simply don't know how to hunt, but would really like to learn. It just puzzles me how this trend has shown up. With grocery stores, kids now a days have no idea of where the hamburger meat came from! Or even the vegetables. Some have no idea of how to grow a plant, or raise an animal. Times have changed so much over the past 30 years or more. I'm more than happy to take someone hunting or fishing and teach them what I can to insure those voters and future voters keep me in the outdoors.

We guide fishing also. The comment is made usually each time we take a group out that they would have never been able to do what they did without a guide. Or another one is, they go out with us, buy a bow fishing rig, and end up spending way more money and having boat and bow problems and realize it would have been cheaper to just go with an experienced guide.
I don't knock high fences if they are set up properly. A high fence is not a trap unless it's set up like a trap on small acreage. I have had my butt kicked on more than one occasion hunting a high fence ranch. No real hunter will agree to hunt a trap. That's not hunting. That's killing. I have lots and lots of stories on this subject. Both ways too. No petting zoos for this girl! The internet helps share the bad experiences for sure. I have been turned down to hunt certain ranches because I squeal like a girl when I see or experience something set up very wrong, and people listen. Pictures help tell the tale, like this one!
There are those wealthy people out there that don't do the work for the trophy, but from what I've seen, there aren't that many, and they don't come to me for sure. I get real people.

Attachments

·
1,426 Posts
Guide Girl ... please do not be offended the other posters clearly meant you no affront, and I would like to add it is so refreshing to know that there are women out there who learn and love to hunt, and not only do it but do it well... if ever I am in the market again for a partner in life, I will hunt for one who hunts, assuredly.... that would be so grand.... so : you are appreciated and admired... know that ... and let me tell you I wish I knew more ladies of the forest like you seem to be.... I am intrigued.. no threat of course but intrigued and mean you all compliments and comeraderie...
now ... as to the original poster...First : I would hunt with a guide who could introduce me to a hunting area and type I know nothing about, like bear, elk and anything not native to La. and the swamps...LOL mosquitos and the deer they and I hunt for side by side is about all we got here...
I had no trouble in texas with regular class of deer and axis that had escaped the YO ranch and live on my friend's place now.
but there are things that take years to learn how to do.. and if I get the money to do it at all I would want to be taught (not assured or given anything but taught the right way in the right area)...
Second : it is clear that the folks here who guide and have been guided are not the folks whose methods and tactice it is that have been in any way disparaged here... those guys do not haunt this or other sites... no waiters, single malt scotch old enough for sex, and no audience that feels they must OOH and Ahhh..
third : I have at times offered folks to hunt with me, here in south Louisiana this coming season... interesting but I feel compelled to let them know it is just a commonplace lease, relaxing, beautiful in its own way at sunrise and twilight, could produce and does produce a bunch of regular bucks and does and occasionally a really nice buck= but it is hard to get those... I feel that one who is used to better percentages might come and be dissapointed, hence the warning...and caveat....do others feel that way ? humble ?
I admire and envy the men and women that can guide others .. what a joy to love to see others score as well and what a comment on accomplishment of those individuals.. to see and know enough animals well enough to be able to show a nimrod where and how to get a shot at all is quite an accomplishment, and I know that some of those folks instill the right attitude about hunting and sportsmanship...
I for one would feel a bit intimidated if I drew an elk tag and had not the foggiest idea where to hunt, the ridges or bottoms, what to expect, starting from scratch my success chances would hover around the low zero percentiles... LOL
Done correctly it is a blessing and increases the learning curve and ups the success ratio... done wrong it is like every blight on society and our sports thta greed causes... anytime money mixes with anything big money can copletely corrupt it ..
I am just glad to have a place to hunt that is leased and some public lands too that have good herds and large deer... I want to go other places and hunt bigger animal before I am done, but I have to admit itis wonderful just to get up and go into the woods knowing that on the average it will take a hunter here 19 or so trips to have and opportunity to score.. but when I do it is with a bow, pistol, single shot, ... something that gives me an extra blast in the doing...and in the trying... perfect fo rme would be my regular hunts and a hunt in a place where the odds are a bit better for scoring on some venison and pork .. just to get the killing out of the way... meat secured, no pressure and just hunt the trophies the rest of the time... maybe this year will go that way...
I would like a place in texas to day hunt or join up .. family hunt with my old dad and brother.. good chances for cull bucks and does and possible good bucks ... that would round it out nicely for us.. it is not unusual to hunt all year for one shot at a decent buck with a rifle only opportunity that you could hesitate and blow the chance... not hard to kill does and young ones but a buck with 6 to 8 points total without briar tines is pretty tough to get a shot on around here with lots of hunting days and all...
but I love it...
dk

·
512 Posts
Moon, I truely know what your saying. I get so sick of hearing, ''so how big was your buck'', or , I shot another 10 pt. this year. Well, Im here to tell you, they can have there big bucks. Yes, I have several nice bucks on my wall, but I earned every one of them the hard way. Being on a V.A pension, I can't even afford to join a hunting club for $300.00 a year. It's getting harder and harder to find hunting land. Especially when your handicapped. Only two land owners out of about 30 that I asked for permission said okay. So when I shoot a 100 lb. doe, I am truely thrilled. It's a Trophy to me. And I'm very proud of it. So thanks again, Moon. It's nice to know there are still a few people who know the facts. ........ My motto is......'' it's not the kill, but the hunt, where memories are made.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts