Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A stupid question: how do multi-reticle scopes with speed adjustment work ?
I mean, with fixed reticles, what adjusts for the speed related difference in trajectory (say, from 250 to 400fps) ?
Is it the mangification ?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Go to the TenPoint Website. There is a video that explains it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Adjusting the magnification spreads the hash marks out in the scope or brings them closer together. The lower the magnification the farther apart the hash marks are. The higher the magnification the closer together the hash marks become. The center of the cross hair stays the same. It's in the middle.

That faster the arrow the higher the magnification.

·
11,716 Posts
A stupid question: how do multi-reticle scopes with speed adjustment work ?
I mean, with fixed reticles, what adjusts for the speed related difference in trajectory (say, from 250 to 400fps) ?
Is it the mangification ?
Yes ... that's the caveat with those things. You're locked into one oddball magnification. The faster the arrow, the higher the magnification too. You really want to be hunting dawn & dusk with your scope on 7x? Or taking those famous 60 yard shots at the once in a lifetime tirdy point buck at 3.7x?

Reactions: rt2bowhunter

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yes ... that's the caveat with those things. You're locked into one oddball magnification. The faster the arrow, the higher the magnification too. You really want to be hunting dawn & dusk with your scope on 7x? Or taking those famous 60 yard shots at the once in a lifetime tirdy point buck at 3.7x?
Actually Duke I find I like 4 power no less though for shooting out to 70yrds. It sure is better than trying to shoot one on say 8 power at 20yrds or less especially when in thick cover and they are on the move.

·
11,716 Posts
Actually Duke I find I like 4 power no less though for shooting out to 70yrds. It sure is better than trying to shoot one on say 8 power at 20yrds or less especially when in thick cover and they are on the move.
Agree ... I've done more than my share of searching for my intended target at 8x-11x until finally running the scope down to 3x to locate, then back up to kill...lol I generally sit with my optic on around 5x-6x and run up from there. I do quite a bit of scope adjusting when I'm "in the scope." Once it starts to get a little dark, or if my only shots are going to be close, I sit on 3x.

·
2,760 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking at deer under low light last year. What i found with my scope 5 power rules the low light battle. I could see much better those last few mins. And to Vortex's credit on the XBR scope theres a indent or speed bump at 5 power making it very easy to find. Don't know if that was there intent but it sure is handy.

Back years ago when we didn't have very good crossbow scopes. Some of us used Leupold shotgun scopes. We sighted in the center crosshair for 30 yds, then adjusted the power ring until the top and bottom duplex was 20 and 40 yards. So crossbow scope aren't really anything special they just have better spaced aiming points and more of them.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
617 Posts
Adjusting the magnification spreads the hash marks out in the scope or brings them closer together. The lower the magnification the farther apart the hash marks are. The higher the magnification the closer together the hash marks become. The center of the cross hair stays the same. It's in the middle.

Well said.Makes it simple.(y)

·
11,716 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking at deer under low light last year. What i found with my scope 5 power rules the low light battle. I could see much better those last few mins. And to Vortex's credit on the XBR scope theres a indent or speed bump at 5 power making it very easy to find. Don't know if that was there intent but it sure is handy.

Back years ago when we didn't have very good crossbow scopes. Some of us used Leupold shotgun scopes. We sighted in the center crosshair for 30 yds, then adjusted the power ring until the top and bottom duplex was 20 and 40 yards. So crossbow scope aren't really anything special they just have better spaced aiming points and more of them.
Agreed ... everyone thinks 3x "gathers" the most light, but if you take the time to test it you may find your optic gives you a brighter picture at 5x-7x!!!

I have my Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44mm XBR on my new Ravin R29X. As I mentioned, I change magnification a lot when I'm in the scope and I often start at about 5x so the 5x detent is a very useful feature for me. (y)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Agree ... I've done more than my share of searching for my intended target at 8x-11x until finally running the scope down to 3x to locate, then back up to kill...lol I generally sit with my optic on around 5x-6x and run up from there. I do quite a bit of scope adjusting when I'm "in the scope." Once it starts to get a little dark, or if my only shots are going to be close, I sit on 3x.
View attachment 201941
Pretty much the same here. I'm on 5x most of the time and go from there depending on the situation.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I was actually considering getting another Vortex for the R29 but wanted to make darn sure I'm going to hang onto it before putting more into it.

How is the Vortex working out for you?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go to the TenPoint Website. There is a video that explains it.
Seems I am not a choosen one.
It says "Error 1020, access denied".
Might have to do with the widespread flood damage here locally, and in Central Europe.
I'm still fine, though ... :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The background of my question - I bought such a scope lately, relatively cheap (85 bucks).
The name is a common brand here (in Europe), where a Chinese manufacturer sells its contract manufacturing surplus and similar stuff on their own account.

It has 20-100 yard range, speed adjustment, red & green illumination, fog/water and sshock/recoil proof.

And it looks very much like the KI Lumix speedring scope - here.

Except the Lumix branding is missing, illumination green & red instead of green & blue, and the reticles look a bit different.
Here an image (difficult to get the cam to focus...)

Distances are numbered, and it reminds you to keep fingers down ;-)

·
Registered
7,017 Posts

The hash marks stay in the same location on the reticle, since most crossbow scopes are of the SFP variety.

Changing magnification changes the size of the image (or target) which would put the reticle’s hash marks on different aiming points.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts