Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Actually, I’m pretty sure the hash marks stay in the same location on the reticle in most crossbow scopes are of the SFP variety.

Changing magnification changes the size of the image (or target) which would put the hash marks on different aiming points. It accomplishes the same thing if the hash marks were to actually spread out.
Yup, that's it.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Agreed ... everyone thinks 3x "gathers" the most light, but if you take the time to test it you may find your optic gives you a brighter picture at 5x-7x!!!

I have my Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44mm XBR on my new Ravin R29X. As I mentioned, I change magnification a lot when I'm in the scope and I often start at about 5x so the 5x detent is a very useful feature for me. (y)
View attachment 201944
Where are you zeroed with the XBR and how much elevation adjustment do you have left?

I might have asked this before. I just can't remember. I'm thinking of putting an XBR on my R29. I been holding off doing so only to keep the weight down.

·
11,688 Posts
Where are you zeroed with the XBR and how much elevation adjustment do you have left?

I might have asked this before. I just can't remember. I'm thinking of putting an XBR on my R29. I been holding off doing so only to keep the weight down.
I'm zero'd ... at 30 yards. No clue how much adjustment is left; but what I will say is it was pretty much maxed out when I took it off my 452fps Scorpyd Velocity and I cranked it back a ton to zero it when I threw it on the R29X. I suspect it had something to do with the Scorpyd rail slope.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
On my Hawke XB30 1.5-6X Compact scope I have the speed /power ring locked one less than 425 fps which corresponds to 5.3 magnification. This power works for me taking short and long range shoots making it good for hunting and target shooting.
I remember trying to use 3-4 power magnification past 40 yards and it didn't suit me so now I can shoot to 115 yards with this scope.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes ... that's the caveat with those things. You're locked into one oddball magnification. The faster the arrow, the higher the magnification too. You really want to be hunting dawn & dusk with your scope on 7x? Or taking those famous 60 yard shots at the once in a lifetime tirdy point buck at 3.7x?
The ATN X-Sight 4K 3x14x and ABL 1000 range finder along with the wireless remote makes a good range-finding scope combination. The remote fits nicely in the off-hand grip on my R29X and with two quick clicks of a button the target is ranged and the ballistics calculator sets the crosshairs for the correct distance. It's a quick and simple process that doesn't require any additional movement or hand repositioning during the shot.

It's not difficult to setup. After zeroing the scope and rangefinder it's just a matter of adjusting the ballistics data in the scope to match the arrow you're shooting. I zeroed at 20 yards and then adjusted the ballistics data until it hit correctly at 50 yards. After that you can shoot accurately at any distance. This package is a few hundred $'s more than the Burris Oracle and several hundred $'s less than the Garmin scope. At that price it has a lot more functionality than either the Burris or Oracle.

IMG_1193.jpeg

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The ATN X-Sight 4K 3x14x and ABL 1000 range finder along with the wireless remote makes a good range-finding scope combination. The remote fits nicely in the off-hand grip on my R29X and with two quick clicks of a button the target is ranged and the ballistics calculator sets the crosshairs for the correct distance. It's a quick and simple process that doesn't require any additional movement or hand repositioning during the shot.

It's not difficult to setup. After zeroing the scope and rangefinder it's just a matter of adjusting the ballistics data in the scope to match the arrow you're shooting. I zeroed at 20 yards and then adjusted the ballistics data until it hit correctly at 50 yards. After that you can shoot accurately at any distance. This package is a few hundred $'s more than the Burris Oracle and several hundred $'s less than the Garmin scope. At that price it has a lot more functionality than either the Burris or Oracle.

View attachment 202291
True. But I remember the days when a fixed 4X scope sat on just about every rifle. A 4 X power magnification should be sufficient for any crossbow hunting needs. Good for 20 to 80 yds for sure.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
56 Posts
True. But I remember the days when a fixed 4X scope sat on just about every rifle. A 4 X power magnification should be sufficient for any crossbow hunting needs. Good for 20 to 80 yds for sure.
I will hunt with the scope at 3 X magnification. I only turn it up higher than that while target shooting. I actually wish that ATN offered this scope in a 2x10 X magnification. I have a nice 2x10 X Burris scope on my rifle. That 2 X magnification is perfect for the area I hunt.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts