Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
especially under 45 yards with speed. More speed you have to switch to mechanical broadheads to keep them straight. I wonder at some point do you have to increase vane size.
Also is less speed more forgiving when you flinch a little when shooting?
Just wondering is speed always a plus after reaching a certain point-will say 380FPS.

A side effect with these super fast bows also would seem more stress on parts,thus much more breakage and dependability goes down?

·
6,261 Posts
The faster, the less vane size needed. I’ve shot Slick Trick variants very accurately out of my Aculeus 460.
Still expandibles lend themselves better to faster arrow speeds.

Logic seems to go along with your last sentence, but my Aculeus 460 with appx 1220 shots has been trouble-free.

The Aculeus 460 is eye wateringly accurate.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
JMO ...
Arrows are too light and fact that higher FOC (which adds weight) improves accuracy.
At a calculated arrow weight 2.5 grains per pound (based on a modified for use AMO standard) for the preservation of the bow, this is the arrow weight I shoot for. For ethical hunting distances (animal cannot react faster than the arrow arrives) Speed only increases the distance of the shot 3 yards for every 50fps. For that gain/loss.... I will focus on the preservation of the bow and work within that corrected speed in the field.

·
13,197 Posts
The faster, the less vane size needed. I’ve shot Slick Trick variants very accurately out of my Aculeus 460.
Still expandibles lend themselves better to faster arrow speeds.

Logic seems to go along with your last sentence, but my Aculeus 460 with appx 1220 shots has been trouble-free.

The Aculeus 460 is eye wateringly accurate.
Properly … set up, speed is nothing other than an advantage. Faster is always better, all else being equal. Buy top shelf arrows and broadheads with a reputation for consistent high quality and precision shooting and you'll be superbly equipped. SEW is spot on.

Reactions: Lambow and SEW

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
What I've been reading with exception to Sew's Aculeus 460, there seems to be a correlation between speed and diminishing return with strings on some Xbows. Even reading where limbs are breaking. So something is going on.

Sew, how fast are you shooting your Xbow after 1220 shots? Maybe we need to determine what is considered fast and determine if there is a correlation to string serving diminishing return. How often are you twisting string and cables to maintain speed after that many shots?

What has been shocking after reading threads with the Scorpyd Nemesis is the ongoing, premature serving wear. I can't for the life of me imagine spending that much money with reported ongoing string serving issues. It's either a physics issues or it's manufacturing issue to me.

Regarding other Xbows what is the avg. speed where we see xBow fails? What are the arrow grain weights?

Chit is happening out there. You sure don't see much reported with 370fps and below Xbows. I know anecdotal but there is a theme.

·
SE VA
13,729 Posts
Properly … set up, speed is nothing other than an advantage. Faster is always better, all else being equal. Buy top shelf arrows and broadheads with a reputation for consistent high quality and precision shooting and you'll be superbly equipped. SEW is spot on.
“All else being equal”? That’s just it, all else is not always equal.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I do so hate to disagree with you. Maybe you are right when talking about deer but aside from that....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.