Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally new to crossbows so bear with me please. I have a hawke xb30 pro I am outshooting the 450fps. With a 20 yard zero I am still 2 inches high at 30. From hawkes instructions it says to do a main zero of 30 yards when 20 is too fast and then calibrate the ring at 40. I am under the impression I need to sight in the 20 yard crosshair at 30 yards then move to 40 yards and shoot the 30 yard crosshair and calibrate? I would then add 10 yards to each marked crosshair for each one to be accurate? I understand I could then fine tune the calibration at 50 or 60 yards to get a more fine tuned calibration than the 40 yard with the speed ring.

This scope will have to do this year but next year I will go to a Vortex Razor HD 1-4 I already have with either a jack plate or HHA.

Also I have some 30mm burris extreme tactical rings I could use but would I be wanting to raise or lower the scope to help me out? Currently running hawke extra high.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have the XB30 compact SR. I try to get the bow shooting well at close range like 20 yard zero with the speed ring pre set at the crossbow's speed using the same arrow. If you use more than one arrow you make it way too hard to determine what adjustment are needed. Then I confirm at 30 yards before moving to 40 yards. At 40 shoot the same arrow three times to see the POI is the same. Based on those results adjust the speed ring to bring the POI to the 40 yards dead center. Then confirm these results at 50 and 60 yards. Additional adjustments may be needed but once you hit of the correct turret elevation and speed ring setting all your scopes yardages will match your tuning. Finally good back to 30 yards to confirm again. Good luck!

·
Registered
935 Posts
... . From hawkes instructions it says to do a main zero of 30 yards when 20 is too fast and then calibrate the ring at 40. I am under the impression I need to sight in the 20 yard crosshair at 30 yards then move to 40 yards and shoot the 30 yard crosshair and calibrate? I would then add 10 yards to each marked crosshair for each one to be accurate? I understand I could then fine tune the calibration at 50 or 60 yards to get a more fine tuned calibration than the 40 yard with the speed ring....
Yes, you are correct. If you run out of adjustment for a 20yd zero, use a 30yd zero. With your speed, most folks would tend to do that anyway.

As far as ring height, it would be more important to use what's most comfortable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Totally new to crossbows so bear with me please. I have a hawke xb30 pro I am outshooting the 450fps. With a 20 yard zero I am still 2 inches high at 30. From hawkes instructions it says to do a main zero of 30 yards when 20 is too fast and then calibrate the ring at 40. I am under the impression I need to sight in the 20 yard crosshair at 30 yards then move to 40 yards and shoot the 30 yard crosshair and calibrate? I would then add 10 yards to each marked crosshair for each one to be accurate? I understand I could then fine tune the calibration at 50 or 60 yards to get a more fine tuned calibration than the 40 yard with the speed ring.

This scope will have to do this year but next year I will go to a Vortex Razor HD 1-4 I already have with either a jack plate or HHA.

Also I have some 30mm burris extreme tactical rings I could use but would I be wanting to raise or lower the scope to help me out? Currently running hawke extra high.

Thanks in advance!
I like to use the lowest rings that allow mounting the scope. I believe higher rings introducing a higher degree of error since their center is farther from the center of the arrow. However there is one more important consideration. Getting you cheek anchored property on the butt stock. Many crossbow offer adjustable cheeks supports while mine do not.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Great shot and awesome deer! Not everyone can do that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is crazy, I took delivery of the crossbow only 26 hours prior to the shot.

I had this buck on Sept. 20th at 52 yards with my Mathews and I could do nothing about it. It bothered me to the point where Friday the 25th I ordered from Wyvern and took delivery this past Friday the 2nd.

This time he was just outside of 40 yards on the same ridge following the same general direction again too far for me with my Mathews but not the crossbow! It was well worth it....

My wife is not so happy though. This will be number 10 in the living room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts