Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in my new Assassin 420. Setup was typical for any excalibur with the exception of the limbs. This brings up my first situation I encountered. I learned to not just flip the stirrup up and listen for the "click". You need to manually push the blue pin up with a little force so that it engages the locking pin effectively.
This bow is, as I expected, MUCH louder than my micro 335 or old vortex. And I mean MUCH louder. You can really feel the 'jolt' when you squeeze the excellent trigger. After only a handful of shots, the screws holding the stirrup started to back out. After a few more, I found several other loose points I will revisit with some blue loctite. Buy I honestly expected a lot of this with it being a new bow and packing such a punch.
Discard the needle sharp field points that it comes with unless you want to loose/damage arrows sinking into a target too far. I switched to a more rounded and blunt point and that solved that problem.
Now, as far as the integral crank for cocking this bow. I thought I would like it, but I honestly would rather just cock with a rope if I could. When breaking in a new bow or shooting targets, it gets aggravating going through all the little steps of Shoot, connect the crank and wind a bit to release enough pressure to flip the switch to release. then remove the crank handle, press the little button at the top and slide the hooks down (which isn't as easy as they make it look in the advertisements). Clip on to the string, then flip the switch to crank, then snap the handle back in. Crank it up to cock it. Then unsnap the handle. All to shoot and repeat. It gets old....fast.
I'm only shooting the proflight arrows that came with it and they had a little variance but not terrible. Accuracy was typical for Excalibur- excellent. I was center punching out to 60 yards effortlessly. I'll never hunt at that distance, but on a target, it was fun.
Not a huge fan of the Tac 100 scope that came with it either. Reticles and dots are WAY too small and hard to see for my old eyes. Illumination was also subpar compared to other illuminated scopes I've used. Very dim even on the brightest setting.
All and all, I'm pleased with my purchase but I'm definitely going to add some sound dampening 'stuff', switch out the string to a flemish and change out the optics as soon as possible. I'm also curious and anxious to see some arrow recipes anyone has for the 420.

·
Registered
668 Posts
For not liking to have to go through the whole cranking procedure for every shot during a shooting session, can't you just leave the shuttle in the rearward position and use a rope cocker?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For not liking to have to go through the whole cranking procedure for every shot during a shooting session, can't you just leave the shuttle in the rearward position and use a rope cocker?
I assume you can. There is a groove in the back that I guess is for a rope cocker. My main point is that the crank system is not ideal for casual/target plinking. Rope cocking this bow would get painful too I suspect. It would probably make me appreciate the crank system a little more after a while. Lol.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Gotcha. I guess that's the price you pay for a 400+ fps compact recurve. I think your Assassin 420 is the same limb setup and draw weight as the BD 440. But I guess what the BD 440 has going for it is that the Charger EXT crank is a little more convenient for repetitive shooting and you don't have to deal with the sled.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I just sighted my new 420 TD. I installed the excalibur sound deadening kit. I blew off one of the rubber bumpers that go at the end between the limb and the string (I didn't find the little alcohol pad until after I installed it). It seemed pretty quiet for an excalibur report. Quiter than the Micro 360 Assassin with all the sound deadening. I think I like it better than the 360 micro size overall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just sighted my new 420 TD. I installed the excalibur sound deadening kit. I blew off one of the rubber bumpers that go at the end between the limb and the string (I didn't find the little alcohol pad until after I installed it). It seemed pretty quiet for an excalibur report. Quiter than the Micro 360 Assassin with all the sound deadening. I think I like it better than the 360 micro size overall.
I have yet to install the "sound deadening system", and "air brakes" that came as a package with mine. Debating it. If I did, it would be for my benefit when plinking around rather than an edge in a hunting situation. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm thinking that even with all the 'silencing' technology in the world installed on one of these bows, a deer will still hear it like it's in dolby atmos surround on level 11.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
lol love that dolby atmos excalibur sound. My bow didn't seem to come with that stuff I bought it extra. Hmmmm. I agree Deer wise it wouldn't matter much. Just doesn't scare your buddies hunting with you as much. They can sure hear and excalibur fire in the woods from a long ways away.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just thinking aloud...
In another thread, someone stated deer are startled up by the whistling noise of the incoming arrow at least as much as the hum of the distant bow. I'm pretty sure wild animals like deer are quite good at estimating the distance of a sound, and it's location.
If this is correct, those elaborate bow silencing efforts are mostly futile.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bow didn't seem to come with that stuff I bought it extra. Hmmmm.
Online shop I bought mine from threw in air brakes, sound deadening system and the explorer takedown case for free.
I like the case. Still on the fence about installing the other stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts