Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Now I am wondering if this could be the cause of the inconsistencies I have found from my own tester and factory bought spine indexed arrows..... ?

Would be interesting to see from you who have removed spring to test a few arrows both way (spring in and out) if the dot has moved....
I know that with my spring out ,Jerrys arrows were on the $$$$$$$

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Retired
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's far more difficult with the spring in place if the shaft wall is consistent

But, I have indexed for over 20 years so I can work with the spring in the gauge but it take a modified technique of spinning the arrow differently, a very light touch and watching the gauge for very subtle movements in a clockwise orientation

Not so consistent shafts could almost be indexed with a broken gauge 😅🤣🤣😅

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Well bummer.

Removing the spring in my metric dial indicator was a piece of cake, but my standard one looks to be more difficult.

There’s a pin extending from the rod that’s tucked into a piece of “channel” plastic (top arrow), and the spring is attached to that pin and secured at the other end that appears to be held by another pin in the housing (bottom arrow).

It looks like there’s 2 screws to the left of that channel that may remove it so I could get the spring off that pin, and then I could put them and the channel back in. Or maybe I can use a pair of tweezers to slide it off. I’ll have to take the back off again.

Not sure if I should cut the bottom of the spring or just let it dangle. Has anyone seen an indicator like mine? Thanks.

Wood Clock Measuring instrument Jewellery Oval

·
Retired
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well bummer.

Removing the spring in my metric dial indicator was a piece of cake, but my standard one looks to be more difficult.

There’s a pin extending from the rod that’s tucked into a piece of “channel” plastic (top arrow), and the spring is attached to that pin and secured at the other end that appears to be held by another pin in the housing (bottom arrow).

It looks like there’s 2 screws to the left of that channel that may remove it so I could get the spring off that pin, and then I could put them and the channel back in.

Not sure if I should cut the bottom of the spring or just let it dangle. Has anyone seen an indicator like mine? Thanks.

View attachment 216479
I cut mine then use needle nose to carefully bend the hook on the pin

Then turn it over and with a light tap the other recessed pin falls out

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,798 Posts
Well bummer.

It looks like there’s 2 screws to the left of that channel that may remove it so I could get the spring off that pin, and then I could put them and the channel back in. Or maybe I can use a pair of tweezers to slide it off. I’ll have to take the back off again.

View attachment 216479
is the bottom pin in clock body lose?

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Removed the plastic channel screws, lifted it out, slipped the spring off the little pin, turned it over and the pin holding the other end of the spring fell out along with the spring.

So the springs are removed from both of my dial indicators but it begs the question why they were put there in the first place? 🙃

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Removed the plastic channel screws, lifted it out, slipped the spring off the little pin, turned it over and the pin holding the other end of the spring fell out along with the spring.

So the springs are removed from both of my dial indicators but it begs the question why they were put there in the first place? 🙃
That's an easy one. Because everything isn't checked from the top where gravity controls the probe. With the spring they can be used horizontally, from the bottom, or any angle.

They weren't made for just checking arrows.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Tension and application.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
That's an easy one. Because everything isn't checked from the top where gravity controls the probe. With the spring they can be used horizontally, from the bottom, or any angle.

They weren't made for just checking arrows.
Makes sense.

Never seen one used sideways or upside down - and mine won’t now either.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I see it every Monday thru Friday.
And lately Saturdays too! Usually tension is not an issue in most machining but it does come into play on occasion.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Checked the spine location on my Tapps and Zombies from SSAS and they were right on the money, as were the Executions that I indexed myself.

It just seems without that spring the needle seems to operate a bit more smoother. I would think checking the deflection would be just as smooth too.

Wood Gas Machine Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Checked the spine location on my Tapps and Zombies from SSAS and they were right on the money, as were the Executions that I indexed myself.

It just seems without that spring the needle seems to operate a bit more smoother. I would think checking the deflection would be just as smooth too.

View attachment 216515
I like your adjustable weight, that is a new one for me. And one I will implement. 1.94# to 4# no longer a problem. What is the maximum you have used in the medicine container and what material. I have an older DIY arrow spine finder, have a new one ordered. The older one will now be able to check deflection and identify the stiff plane.
I'm thinking shot of different sizes and weights will be my go-to...
Thanks TP!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I cannot imagine why the springs would need to be removed for accurate readings for indexing if using a quality indicator. Have you all tried using tips with geomotries that may be a bit more suitable for small shafts? Some tips even have roller bearings in them these days. Also curious if a last word-style indicator may even be a better choice of indicator overall.

I don't index arrows (yet), but I use indicators almost on the daily. So just throwing some thoughts out there.

Reactions: Boo and Wapster

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
What is the maximum you have used in the medicine container and what material. The older one will now be able to check deflection and identify the stiff plane.

I'm thinking shot of different sizes and weights will be my go-to...
It’s a stainless steel media that I use in a rock tumbler drum to clean pistol and rifle brass for reloading - I think I have about 3# of it.

Last time I checked it was 1.94# dead nuts. I suppose using copper plated BB’s would work just as well.

Plant Drink Twig Darjeeling tea Insect

Reactions: bbahunter

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have shot for reloading, lead and steel...

·
Retired
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I cannot imagine why the springs would need to be removed for accurate readings for indexing if using a quality indicator. Have you all tried using tips with geomotries that may be a bit more suitable for small shafts? Some tips even have roller bearings in them these days. Also curious if a last word-style indicator may even be a better choice of indicator overall.

I don't index arrows (yet), but I use indicators almost on the daily. So just throwing some thoughts out there.
Give it a try and you will see! On cheap arrows with a lot of deviation no problem, the gauge with a spring works fine but on really consistent arrows it makes it very difficult.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts