Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to take my rebate check from Unk Sam and buy a spotting scope.The scope will be used mainly inside my home viewing waterfowl and soaring birds of prey over a mile long lake.I have $600 to work with and need a good tripod that is at least 60" tall. I'm an old silverback that knows quality isn't cheap and cheap usally buys trouble.So I'm asking for your advice and feedback on which is the best bang for the buck? Are their any out there that are made in USA?
Thanks for your help
Steve

·
SE VA
12,567 Posts
I purchased this setup about 5 years ago

and it's my prized posession for sure. It's a Zeiss 45X Diascope and tripod. I later purchashed a digiscope attachment that allows me to use my Sony digital camera with the spotting scope. I love this thing:p Here is a photo of a doe taken about 90 yards away late one afternoon. See the fly sitting between her eyes? I think the whole setup minus the Sony camera was about $2,300.00. I could not afford this setup when I bought it but I'm glad I did. I've had a great time playing with this thing:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Meopta is a newer company that makes great optics. If I'm not mistaken,
they make the lenses for Swarovski. Side by side the Meopta is a brighter spotting scope. They are very reasonably priced too. I think once they build a name for themselves, you will see the price start to climb.
As far as a good tripod, we use Bogen-Manfrotto for all of our video needs. They are very well known in the industry but won't be cheap either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts