Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Late archery season opened today and this thread has thinking about doing some squirrel hunting tomorrow instead. Man I love fried squirrel!
I have an aunt that loves squirrel. If she was here I would shoot a couple for her. A few years ago we shot a few for her. We took the tails and tied them to her antenna. They stayed on for almost a year. She is in her 80鈥檚 and always tells that story.

Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
double post

Registered
Original Mountain Cur
Thought so. I have a half walker/half mountain cur. She's ALWAYS hunting.:) She's found hogs and deers Ive shot with arrows for me too.

Plant Plant community Tree Terrestrial plant Wood

Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
Out of curiosity - why you are comparing them with rats ?
I see very few in urban areas here, nor do I hear anything of damage they cause.
I see them in the woods, though, and mostly enjoy it.
Only I often wish I had my bow with me ... :rolleyes:
I have a construction business. Squirrels will eat a hole in the wood siding of your house. They'll eat (chew) thru wiring in your home, and outbuildings, make nest in the walls and in general, create a mess that is horrible.

In urban areas they destroy bird nest and wreak havoc on bird feeders and bird houses.
I have even had them chew holes in deer feeders.

IF that ain't a blasted rat, then a Rat ain't a Rat!!!
I kill every one of them I see...

Registered
When I was young I thought that deer were extremely hard to see in the woods but back then there were not a lot around anyway but I was getting picked off by squirrels on a regular basis. I finally learned how to sit still enough to not get picked off by squirrels and was surprised to start seeing deer on a regular basis also. I rarely get picked off by a squirrel anymore but when I do I freeze and the squirrel goes about its business after a few minutes. If you are getting picked off by squirrels on a regular basis you are moving way to much on stand and deer can see you moving before you know they are around.

Registered
Out of curiosity - why you are comparing them with rats ?
I see very few in urban areas here, nor do I hear anything of damage they cause.
I see them in the woods, though, and mostly enjoy it.
Only I often wish I had my bow with me ... :rolleyes:
Every 5 years or so I have to "thin the herd" around my house. They begin getting into my out buildings chewing on things I dont want them chewing on. But the really bad they begin doing is stealing my green tomatoes and then they gotta go. Usually after 20-25 or so they are back in check and it's usually good for 4 or 5 years before I have to start over again.

Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
Every 5 years or so I have to "thin the herd" around my house. They begin getting into my out buildings chewing on things I dont want them chewing on. But the really bad they begin doing is stealing my green tomatoes and then they gotta go. Usually after 20-25 or so they are back in check adn it's usually good for 4 or 5 years before I have to start over again.
The whole "stealing the green tomatoes" is what got them on the "to die" list around here!!! 馃ぃ馃槀
Rascals got so bad they even ate the tomatoe vines!! :mad:

Crossbow Nut
I don't mind the fox, gray, an black squirrels we have here, but the little red tree rats git shot on sight. They chew holes in everything. Even git in attics an in yer house! Even had 1 come in the dryer vent an got loose in the house, dog almost got him til he got in the washer an refused to come out. Had ta disconnect the washer, load it on a dolly, wheel it outside til he decided it was safe enough ta come out. Nope, ther genuine tree rats an a real curse! Choot em!

Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
im sure its easy to get annoyed by em, specially if you try to get unnotised by sitting in they route tree
i found em curious and most of em just likes to have a laugh, if you wanna laugh with em, try making sharp snap sound in a rapid manner with your toungue few times, bit like when you stop deer but with more high pitch

i wonder if there is something different in squirrels or housing materials in europe, ive never seem em trying to brake into house, unless someone makes an habbit of feeding em
reason rodents eat cables is the insulator tasting sweet, but they must be made from old materials

Registered
Call 'em what you want but, there is nothin' better than squirrel pot pie. We try to get a "round up" once or twice a year just to settle the score for all racket the little buggers make during deer season.
Never had em in a pot pie but for my money they are the best eating critter in the woods. Nothing beats a nice young gray squirrel floured and pan fried to a crispy golden brown.

Ain't tried this smoked squirrel yet but you can bet I'm gonna.
Food Ingredient Dishware Plate Tableware

Registered
Being squirrel meat is on the light side I'd bet smoking over apple would be the way to go with that receipt. It sounds pretty good. I would think a teriyaki/red wine marinade would work too.
I am concerned about it being to dry is why I haven't tried it yet. A marinade might be the answer.

Registered
Brine injection is yer friend.
Any thoughts on an injection? Now I'm getting more interested. My wife suggested pressure frying since I got the pot. Still haven't used it yet but it might be the ticket for those older tough squirrels.

Crossbow Nut
Any thoughts on an injection? Now I'm getting more interested. My wife suggested pressure frying since I got the pot. Still haven't used it yet but it might be the ticket for those older tough squirrels.
I'm real fond of apple juice, salt & sugar or yamight try some wine.

Reactions: Oldcarp
21 - 40 of 50 Posts