Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Young grays can be as tender as can be but let em get a little age and it can be a challenge to chew em.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tree rats! They eat holes the gas tanks in any of my equipment that is outside. Lawn mower, gas can, log splitter - even the hydraulic hose. Camper shell rack rubber ends, even the rungs on one of my tree ladder stands, it is like raiser edges on the corners.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Never hunted squirrels with a dog but would love to do it sometime. But then I'd probably be looking for a dog to buy and I already have too many hobbies. I bet it's a good time though!

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
597 Posts
Okay, I'll admit it. The first thing I ever remember hunting was squirrels. I was about 8 or 9 at the time. Got to go hunt with my Dad and 2 uncles. One of them had a Rat Terrier that treed. I even got to carry my own .410 single shot.
My Mom made squirrel stew with some, some made dumplings.
But I haven't eaten squirrel since back in the 60's.

Got to looking at them with "no hide on" and thought, "Nope, that's a Rat"!! 🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Got to looking at them with "no hide on" and thought, "Nope, that's a Rat"!! 🤣😂🤣
The images here (and elsewhere) reminded me very much of rabbits.
My dad used to rear them for the meat, especially for holidays like Christmas.
They were a bit bigger than a squirrel, though.

By the way, I never skinned a rat ... :oops:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
All this squirrel talk got me to take the 22 this morning and try to get a mess for eating. Naturally I saw a total of 1 squirrel 60ish yards away and constantly moving until he was gone. But I had a flock of 23 turkeys come through inside of 25 yards and no bow.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts