Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been prepping for this bow season for the last three years. Scouting, trail cams, general observations, mineral sites, etc. I had the deer habits, territories, and locations all figured out and ready for this Fall. Even had my ground blind spot picked and ready to go. Then along comes Mother Nature and bops me back near square one. Back on 17 June we had a hellacious storm system roll through the farm here. No tornadoes, but straight line winds like I've never seen. It's been an extremely wet year so far, so the ground is saturated. The number of trees we lost is staggering. Big beautiful mature oaks, torn up by the roots, or snapped off half way down like they'd been hit with a bomb. Birch trees mowed down like tall grass. One of my most promising areas is now an impenetrable tangle. One of my trail cams was missed by less than a foot by a toppled oak. Now the deer have changed travel corridors and habits. At least it's early and I still have time to start over, but what a pain.
I haven't had much time to clear my own mess up yet. My neighbor is handicapped from a stroke and had the biggest elm tree I've ever seen ripped out of the ground, barely missing his house. My one day off last week I spent down there cutting and piling that monster for cleanup. Should be able to start reopening my path across the ridge to my tower stand with some help so I can get my tractor back there next week.

This one is almost 36" across at the base, and the exposed portion of the root ball is bigger than my truck.

Some of these trees quite literally exploded, leaving jagged trunks sticking up at various heights.

I built this 14' stand two years ago, but haven't even had a chance to use it yet.:( When I cut a path back through all the carnage for my loader tractor, we might be able to stand it up and put a new roof on it later this summer (I hope).

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a mess and I feel your pain. Good luck with the cleanup. I'm sure as the season gets here you will figure it out again. Good luck.

Reactions: med1pilot

·
Registered
911 Posts
Had a very similar deal spring of '16. Took me most of the summer to get trees out of food plots and off access roads. Still have many laying around that I need to cut up for fire wood.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I had a huge tree uproot and fall in my hunting spot too.If I would have been hunting I wouldn't be here. Good luck with the clean up and season.At least it happened in June and not in late August or September.

·
2,905 Posts
Good luck with all that, med1pilot. That's definitely going to change things. In 2011, we had a decent snow on Halloween. The farm where I hunt was out of power for several days, and the trees, still with leaves on, took a real beating. Deer definitely changed their travel patters we had come to expect. In 2012, Hurricane Sandy came through and even more trees came down than the year before. Lots and lots of uprooted big trees and root balls. Good luck getting back to your spots and putting the stands back up.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hope your cleanup goes good and your season turns out to be a great one.
A few pics from the spring '16 storm here in central MO.

Big white oak down on one of my roads.

Ground blind I had set up for turkey hunting. Glad I went to work that morning. :(

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope your cleanup goes good and your season turns out to be a great one.
A few pics from the spring '16 storm here in central MO.

Big white oak down on one of my roads.

Ground blind I had set up for turkey hunting. Glad I went to work that morning. :(
Ow! That woulda left a mark!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Lamentations 3:22 ..
"It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Once you get situated -- all is not lost. Re-position camera and dump a mix of this:

5 pounds of sugar
1 can of salt
5 packs cherry Kool-Aid all mixed together....

....you'll pull them in -- in BIG fashion......dump in a 5 gallon bucket of apples every week (if you can pick 'em free somewhere)....

You'll be back in business for hardly any cost! :)

Horns

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once you get situated -- all is not lost. Re-position camera and dump a mix of this:

5 pounds of sugar
1 can of salt
5 packs cherry Kool-Aid all mixed together....

....you'll pull them in -- in BIG fashion......dump in a 5 gallon bucket of apples every week (if you can pick 'em free somewhere)....

You'll be back in business for hardly any cost! :)

Horns
Now there's an interesting mix I hadn't heard of. I've been using a 1 to 4 mixture of salt to cattle mineral. That's brought them in to the camera like candy all Spring. May give your mixture a try too. Thanks Horns.

Reactions: HORNS-A-PLENTY

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a big red fir tree fall up on our hill. The root ball was about 5 foot up in the air. There was a big hole that my ground blind fit in with just a little work.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Now there's an interesting mix I hadn't heard of. I've been using a 1 to 4 mixture of salt to cattle mineral. That's brought them in to the camera like candy all Spring. May give your mixture a try too. Thanks Horns.
Welcome and trust me....it drives them crazy....and it is CHEAP!

Horns

·
Crossbow Nut
3,102 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
HAP, do you mix it dry or with enough water to dampe the mixture?
I use a plastic ice cream container and just shake it up dry. Then just pour half out in a line about 3 feet long.

....use other half of it to re-freshen in a week.

Enjoy the results!

Horns

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm getting ready to start feeding 5 gallon of apples every week. I'll use this mix to get them drawn in to the new feed pile.

Horns

Reactions: Jack Pine

·
Crossbow Nut
3,102 Posts
I'm getting ready to start feeding 5 gallon of apples every week. I'll use this mix to get them drawn in to the new feed pile.

Horns
Thanks HAP, I'm going to try this, if the deer don't like it, I'll make me some Kool-Aid LOL

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Thanks HAP, I'm going to try this, if the deer don't like it, I'll make me some Kool-Aid LOL
That Cherry flavor gets them going!

Horns

1 - 17 of 17 Posts