Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the final count as to how many states legalized Crossbows this year ????

I know: South Carolina and Louisanna legalized crossbows for all
and that Oklahoma legalized them for 60 years old and older

But, was wondering if any other states made any changes in this years legislative session ????

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I didn't even know about South Carolina! Now I am going to have to edit my document.

·
224 Posts
Maryland

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/regionb.asp

Crossbows are legal for all hunters during the Oct. 1 15, 2008 and Jan 15 - 31, 2009 segments of the Deer Bow Season.

(this was added this year)

Crossbows are also legal for use in the Suburban Deer Archery Zone from Sept 15, 2008 - Jan 31, 2009. This zone includes Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Howard, Montgomery and Prince Georges counties.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if there is any kind of a timeline available that would show when crossbow usage was increased (by state) or crossbows legalized (by state).

That data could be used (along w/other information) to give to our state legislators to show how the other states are coming on board in regard to crossbow usage.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I'm waiting to hear about Minnesota still. Anyone heard the latest?

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Guide Girl said:
I'm waiting to hear about Minnesota still. Anyone heard the latest?
GG Minnesota made this change:
allowing crossbow hunting during the regular deer firearms season for any hunter with a valid firearms license (Art. 1, Sec. 38);

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
buckeye dan said:
GG Minnesota made this change:
allowing crossbow hunting during the regular deer firearms season for any hunter with a valid firearms license (Art. 1, Sec. 38);
Well, I'm not interested so much in the deer season, but I'm hunting bear September and want to take my crossbow instead of a traditional bow.
Is it legal for Bear rifle season? This will be the first time I hunt MN so I'm
not familiar with the legal issues there and trying to find out. The DNR hasn't sent me the package yet with the bible. We're going with other guides and a
ranch owner/doctor and the taxidermist who lives across the pasture from us.
They are all rifle hunters.
Nevermind. They updated the site and it says I can hunt bear with a crossbow! Area 31 Zone 31 Preference number 1. So, what's preference number since I'm asking questions?

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Yea the problem is they still think of it as a gun since they put it in gun season. It belongs in archery season with the other bows.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Hey! Gotta start somewhere with recognition. Then they have to see it isn't going to obliterate the deer herd. But, what they will see is more hunters getting a hunting license to get outdoors. The crossbow is a great recuitement tool for all the different hunting tools. Example, like with me. I don't care for the loud noises of a gun, so I got a crossbow. Then, that introduced me to vertical bows later on. One of the problems with the vertical bow selling itself, is too many people try to make it seem complicated and hence intimidating to just pick up. Also, you have to have a vertical bow fitted to you specifically, so that's also a problem with introducing arrows to a new hunter. You will see more families out hunting when the crossbow is introduced. Yep, the wife and kids will want to try it out. More money will be made for the state wildlife dept. The deer herd won't be obliterated. Then, on to the next step. One day at a time! Or one session at a time in this case.;)

·
378 Posts
buckeye dan said:
Yea the problem is they still think of it as a gun since they put it in gun season. It belongs in archery season with the other bows.
Sad they don't realize that simple fact..

·
378 Posts
Example, like with me. I don't care for the loud noises of a gun, so I got a crossbow. Then, that introduced me to vertical bows later on.
VERY good point!

One "I" have been speaking out for a long time , many (especially women and youth) don't like the noise and recoil of firearms, but WILL enjoy crossbows IF given the chance...... um CHOICE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts