Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a Steady Eddy to my new Viper S400. The S/E is something that I think really jumped my success rate on whitetails. Every deer I shot last year dropped within eyesight and there were a few, including two really nice bucks. Anyway - the only "issue" I had was, the hole where the bolt rests is recessed. The attachment for the S/E cannot be recessed so, I had a sleeve/spacer that I put snuggly into the hole, then I have a slightly larger nylon washer, and then the attachment piece. I needed to use a longer bolt which I cut to size. I then applied Locktight as it was on the bolt I removed. The nylon washer just adds a space so when I add the S/E to the attachment, it doesn't rest on the stock. Seems to work well. Also, there is a hole in the bottom of the trigger guard which looked a good spot to put my Twisty to hold the back part of the S/E. Hope this is useful to anyone looking to do the same. I had everything laying around my garage that I used so I can't give any specific sizes on spacer or bolt thread size/length.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good job! I am a bit disappointed you had to go through that and "Rig it" up to make it satisfactory though. It's SUPPOSED to fit right on without modification of any kind. Someone call Randy ASAP! :D :ROFLMAO: No really though, that's kind of sucky because I was thinking about getting one for my Viper. I do have a Bog-Pod with the rifle rest attachment as well as a Trigger Stick, so if I have to cut bolts to fit, add washers, etc, I'm probably NOT going to buy one. Hey CB, how do you get your Viper to sit up straight in the soft case with the quiver mounted like you have it? I did my quiver the same way, and it lays cock-eyed in my Blazer case. Drives me nuts...I hate it! I wound up taking the quiver off and sticking it in one of the pockets, but it still wants to lean with that metal bracket installed. Not impressed with that whole quiver mounting design to be honest.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a soft case or any case yet. Not sure what to get yet. I'm thinking of making an aluminum quiver bracket just to cut weight down.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the picture you can see another bolt. forward of the stock bolt I used. I was hoping to use that to attach SE. That creates interference with the quiver bracket and I don't believe the SE would clear the stock handle. All of these issues I could have "rigged" something to work but where I put it was the easiest for me. Being a fabricator (among other things), None of this is difficult and it actually is fun. Many of you probably have the same attitude. Hope we get a break from this heat. I'm ready to launch some arrows!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hunt out of nothing but ladder stands with rests and when In my blind I usually just rest my left elbow on my thigh or occasionally I'll take along the Bog Pod. I've found the key to shooting a crossbow unsupported is to really lock your left elbow in tight against your body. But there is no substitute for a good rest.

Reactions: BULLDOGGBOYZ

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree R.T. I don't want to carry anything "extra" as I already have enough junk I think is necessary. If I'm in a tree stand I'll sometimes be able to use the shooting rail but sometimes I'll stand to get a "free range" of movement. That's when I'll be using the SE. Often I'll be in a makeshift ground blind that I'll TRY to leave myself a rest on a branch or something but as we know, we must adapt to what's available. Good Luck guys & have fun!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't have a soft case or any case yet. Not sure what to get yet. I'm thinking of making an aluminum quiver bracket just to cut weight down.
Not impressed with the Blazer case because it's only got 1 velcro tie down inside. Once that big steel quiver bracket is mounted, the XB is kind of sloppy inside the case, even with the velcro strap around it. That's because the steel bracket makes the XB lean to the opposite side enough that it won't stay laying flat. While an aluminum bracket would be great for weight reduction, it still won't solve the problem of the XB not laying flat. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts