Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased one last January. I think it's the 2019 model with Accu Draw Pro, Rangemaster Scope, and upgraded trigger. I used it a bit last deer season just to put it through it's paces with no hiccups
I plan on using it in September on a South African Safari which was originally scheduled last year but postponed because of Covid.
Tell me your experiences (good and bad) over the few years of ownership so I can be better prepared to use it in South Africa. I will have a Carbon Nitro as a B/U so no need to comment on a B/U bow.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have the 2019 model also. Started with the 2018 when they were using their Omni nock and it blew up the front end... now I have a 2019 with alpha nocks and it is an excellent xb.

I have the AcuDraw Pro and have had issues with that too-lots of guys did. The way the cocking string attaches to the winding wheel is wonky and can cause the string to rub in places. There is a lot of pressure on that string so even a small gray can be dangerous. I have since purchased their new/improved wheels and will install them soon—you may want to look that up as an upgrade part from the TP website

As with any xb, you need to understand how it is supposed to be used and follow those instructions! TP has some incredibly good instructional videos on their website for use and maintenance and you really should spend some time looking at those. You’ll be glad that you did.

I like the TP illuminated nocks but some guys don’t. You have to be careful not to press the nocks in accidentally while walking around, as that turns on the light and you’ll wind up wearing them down prematurely. If you don’t bang your XB around when you walk, this is avoidable. (Side note-I use the light when setting myself up in pitch black in my treestand and it’s the perfect amount of light.)

I also recommend the TP SteadyEddy if you walk&stalk, shoot from standing, or from sitting in a ground blind. Basically all shooting except from a treestand, since they typically have a nice railing to steady your shot. I use mine in all other situations and find it superior to having to lug in a shooting stick, and fast to deploy.

That about sums it up from me. I think it’s a fantastic XB.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The AP was the down fault of this bow.

I removed the AP and it’s been smooth sailing ever since.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The AP was the down fault of this bow.

I removed the AP and it’s been smooth sailing ever since.
Is AP the AccuDraw Pro? If you removed it, how do you cock the bow now?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I also have this bow and other than routine maintenance I have had no issues with it. After almost 800 shots I changed the cables and string and easily could have gotten a few hundred more shots on them. I also changed the cocking string on the acudraw pro. It showed a little wear so better safe than sorry. When the new hub kit came out for the acudraw pro a few months ago I ordered it and have installed it. It's a big improvement over the old hub and I highly recommend it. It makes the cocking process a lot smoother and safer in my opinion. Good luck on your upcoming safari.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Is AP the AccuDraw Pro? If you removed it, how do you cock the bow now?
I bought 2 rope cockers
An acusled that is retractable
abd I bought a rope sled, same idea just a thicker rope and not retractable.

it’s really not that bad to cock manually.
But I’m 39, 6’ and 240

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have this bow and other than routine maintenance I have had no issues with it. After almost 800 shots I changed the cables and string and easily could have gotten a few hundred more shots on them. I also changed the cocking string on the acudraw pro. It showed a little wear so better safe than sorry. When the new hub kit came out for the acudraw pro a few months ago I ordered it and have installed it. It's a big improvement over the old hub and I highly recommend it. It makes the cocking process a lot smoother and safer in my opinion. Good luck on your upcoming safari.
If you installed the hub kit yourself, how difficult was it? I hear a lot about this upgrade. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 196408

I bought 2 rope cockers
An acusled that is retractable
abd I bought a rope sled, same idea just a thicker rope and not retractable.

it’s really not that bad to cock manually.
But I’m 39, 6’ and 240
Yes, I bought a full size stirrup and have a few cocking sleds already. I'm 66, 5"9" and weight 175 lbs. Not looking forward to manually cocking it but it's nice to have an option. Thanks.

Reactions: Statgeek

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
PLEASE NOTE that if you plan to go the manual cocking route, Archer36 mentioned an important item.. The Stirrup that comes on the NXT is merely a decoration, method to hang it up, and something to prevent your arrow tip from hitting anything while it sits cocked and ready to go. That stirrup is NOT compatible with any boot or shoe, and should NOT be used to manually cock this bow with any rope cocker. TP states this on their webpage somewhere too, or maybe I read it in the instructions, but the first time you try to manually cock using that itty-bitty stirrup, you'll realize fast that it's unsafe.

You can buy a full size stirrup from TP and carry a rope cocker as a backup, or use it as your primary. I carry a rope cocker as a backup and I verified that it is possible to use, but I'm no Popeye, and it's hard has heck for me to use. I've had a desk job my entire career, so my arms and back aren't built for that kind of umph. Still, I could do it in a pinch, and I only need to cock it once per trip into the woods anyway...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PLEASE NOTE that if you plan to go the manual cocking route, Archer36 mentioned an important item.. The Stirrup that comes on the NXT is merely a decoration, method to hang it up, and something to prevent your arrow tip from hitting anything while it sits cocked and ready to go. That stirrup is NOT compatible with any boot or shoe, and should NOT be used to manually cock this bow with any rope cocker. TP states this on their webpage somewhere too, or maybe I read it in the instructions, but the first time you try to manually cock using that itty-bitty stirrup, you'll realize fast that it's unsafe.

You can buy a full size stirrup from TP and carry a rope cocker as a backup, or use it as your primary. I carry a rope cocker as a backup and I verified that it is possible to use, but I'm no Popeye, and it's hard has heck for me to use. I've had a desk job my entire career, so my arms and back aren't built for that kind of umph. Still, I could do it in a pinch, and I only need to cock it once per trip into the woods anyway...
I may be wrong but the first model (2018) may have come with a full size foot stirrup. I saw pictures of them. I bought my Stealth for this reason. I called TenPoint and asked if it could be cocked manually (before I bought it) and they beat around the bush about it. It has the string groove on the back of the barrel. My Stealth had the "hanger" so I was disappointed when I got it. I bought a full size foot stirrup to take with me on my Safari. Even if I can't cock it, I'm sure my PH will. LOL

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you installed the hub kit yourself, how difficult was it? I hear a lot about this upgrade. Thanks.
Yes I did install it myself. It wasn't hard to do either. Just read and study the instructions a few times, then take your time and go for it. It does take a little patience and the second side will be easier than the first side. Good luck and it will be well worth it.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Horton Vortec RDX
487 Posts
I had an AcuSled break while cocking a Horton Vortec. Thankfully I had only pulled the bow string back a few inches and it didn’t kaboom my crossbow. When i shoot the vortec now I use the standard rope cocker. All this makes me appreciate just how awesome the AcuSlide is on my viper!!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I did install it myself. It wasn't hard to do either. Just read and study the instructions a few times, then take your time and go for it. It does take a little patience and the second side will be easier than the first side. Good luck and it will be well worth it.
They are out of stock on the TP website and not available anyplace else.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had an AcuSled break while cocking a Horton Vortec. Thankfully I had only pulled the bow string back a few inches and it didn’t kaboom my crossbow. When i shoot the vortec now I use the standard rope cocker. All this makes me appreciate just how awesome the AcuSlide is on my viper!!
I had a Horton Storm and still have a Carbon Nitro. They are a breeze to cock manually.

Reactions: R. Toker

·
Registered
567 Posts
They are out of stock on the TP website and not available anyplace else.
Hopefully it will be back in stock before your trip.

Reactions: archer36

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had a Horton Storm and still have a Carbon Nitro. They are a breeze to cock manually.
my vortec is very efficient 135lb limbs and shoots fast for those light limbs. However, they just don’t decock with the ease of the AcuSlide bows. The AcuSlide is IMO the best technology out there on any crossbow.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my vortec is very efficient 135lb limbs and shoots fast for those light limbs. However, they just don’t decock with the ease of the AcuSlide bows. The AcuSlide is IMO the best technology out there on any crossbow.
Until it fails and you can't cock the bow any other way and your only option is to send it back to TP.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Who said it’s going to fail?

·
Registered
487 Posts
And I won’t have to send it anywhere. I live in Ohio about 50 miles south of TP. I’ll just drive there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts