Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made the conversion from compound to crossbow. I have a new tenpoint on the way. I'm pumped!

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to crossbow components.

Give me your suggestions for arrow, broadheads, and lighted nock.

I prefer kenetic energy over pure speed and the bigger the entry and exit wound, the better.

I look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions and thanks for the help

·
8,899 Posts
Use the heavy Ten Point arrow and NAP-FOC broadhead if you want big holes and arrows that can pass through a Buick.

Reactions: archer36

·
Registered
377 Posts
Did you not buy a package that came with arrows? Just asking, no biggie. You will want to make sure you follow TP's lightest recommended arrow/component weight, regardless of what type arrows and heads you wind up with. Do not buy or build arrows that are under that weight, as you risk damaging your bow and injuring yourself. I chose the Evo X Center Punch arrows with lighted Alpha nocks. I don't think you are limited to Alpha nocks ONLY like I am, so you will have some choices as far as lighted nocks go. Lumenocks or Firenocks seem to be the most popular. You MAY want to consider using Alpha nocks though, being as they are supposed to help alleviate the contact issues between nock and serving that arise from the newer ultra narrow crossbows. In other words, they keep contact with the string for a longer period of time down the rail, thus providing better, more consistent accuracy. They are also less likely to have the string ride under/over the nock during a shot, which for all intents and purposes, creates erratic accuracy and could potentially harm your bow. As for broadheads, there are lots of quality ones to choose from. I personally choose 100 grain heads. but some like 125 grains. Popular and good performing heads are NAP Spitfires, TruGlo Titanium X, Thorn, Grim Reapers, SEVR, Dead Ringer X Nasty, Etc. Just make sure you get the crossbow version of whatever heads you wind up choosing. It doesn't take a ton of KE to efficiently kill deer, but you can always add weight to your arrows in any number of ways, from inserts to vanes, to nocks, and obviously the broadhead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just made the conversion from compound to crossbow. I have a new tenpoint on the way. I'm pumped!

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to crossbow components.

Give me your suggestions for arrow, broadheads, and lighted nock.

I prefer kenetic energy over pure speed and the bigger the entry and exit wound, the better.

I look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions and thanks for the help
Hunted last season with a new Stealth NXT shot four arrows got four deer none went over 41 yards. Using Tapps arrows and Ten Point mechanical broad heads. Works like a Rage but without the collars. My 4th Ten Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it.

"Big holes and arrows that can pass through a Buick..." Perfect description of what I want!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm using a 2019 Stealth NXT. I'm trying these this year in the early season when Does are legal. With 25 gr weight collar they will weigh 140 gr.

Later on when Bucks are legal, I'll switch to these.

Both arrow setups will weigh about 500 grains all in.
The KE of this setup is about 150 lbs at 30 yds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using a 2019 Stealth NXT. I'm trying these this year in the early season when Does are legal. With 25 gr weight collar they will weigh 140 gr.
View attachment 182695
Later on when Bucks are legal, I'll switch to these.
View attachment 182698
Both arrow setups will weigh about 500 grains all in.
The KE of this setup is about 150 lbs at 30 yds.
Thanks for posting!

Interesting. Why the different head for bucks and does if overall weight and KE are the same? Cutting curface? CoC? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Thanks for posting!

Interesting. Why the different head for bucks and does if overall weight and KE are the same? Cutting curface? CoC? Just curious.
The Rocket head blades are not as strong as the Slayer blades. I'm concerned with how the thinner blades will hold up on heart/lung shots. I'd rather test on a smaller animal first.
The Rocket are 2.75", 3 blade. The Slayer is 3", 2 blade. A 3 blade would also have more bone contact then a 2 blade.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I will strongly recommend the Alpha nocks over Omni. As BDB mentioned, the Alpha offer better serving contact. I experienced a Dryfire created by the string going over or under the nock/arrow. The outcome isn't pretty! I will only shoot Alpha nocks from now on or until something better comes along. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will strongly recommend the Alpha nocks over Omni. As BDB mentioned, the Alpha offer better serving contact. I experienced a Dryfire created by the string going over or under the nock/arrow. The outcome isn't pretty! I will only shoot Alpha nocks from now on or until something better comes along. Good luck.
Good to know. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The 2018 Stealth came with Omni's. That didn't work out so they created the Alpha's which are needed for all the super narrow bows that are now made. Mine is 2019 and came with Alpha's even though there is a sticker saying "Omni Nock Required".

Reactions: BULLDOGGBOYZ
1 - 11 of 11 Posts