Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, this is a Cobra pistol with a well-engineered 6-shot magazine with integrated laser aim.

It works. Very well. It feeds reliably and consistently. It’s accurate. It feels and looks like quality engineering, with precision fitting. It comes with rails for mounting accessories, and comes with a handle for stability.... and for cocking. Turns out that with a magazine there, the standard cocking process puts your hand in the path of a loaded bolt! So you’ll want to cock it using the handle.

I’ve also found that you’ll want to always load at least two bolts. This ensures that the bolt is laying flat in the magazine and therefore will feed correctly.

I found it a bit low powered. So I enhanced the strength of the draw by adding a section of 80-pound prod behind the existing prod. It’s about 25% faster than a standard 80 pound prod, which is faster than the 50-pound prod supplied with the unit. My guess is I’m getting around 245+fps with the lightweight plastic bolts. Tried to measure it with GarageBand on my iPad, but that only gives beats and not a true timeline. I’ll have to utilize other software to measure the speed. Using it with aluminum bolts with weight added internally (section of 16d nail), it blows right through the bundled layered cardboard (a wine box loaded tight with cardboard) that stops the plastic bolts.

Here it is, with the PVC shoulder stock I made for my other Cobra. All I need do is add a flashlight.

779F14F9-E18B-4543-958B-12BD65D7EFDB.jpeg

Reactions: a323109

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A better shoulder stock:

EB06D5C9-0B57-44E6-8DDD-5AE6E1A5BEB0.jpeg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yet another improvement: added a pressure switch for the laser sight. That way, it’s only lit when you’re ready to shoot. It’s routed under the furniture, to the trigger grip. I considered putting it on the foregrip, but decided against that. It’s both more functional and more elegant this way.

5EBFABF6-C542-46A0-93CD-CD5B9C4B44E4.jpeg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Steambow pistol broadheads came in.
I would not want to be hit by one. With my enhanced prod, they have real impact.

I’ve tried other broadheads with pistol crossbows. They all ‘steered’ waaay off target within a few yards. Which, given that there are 2 vanes and 2 blades (all on the same plane), is unsurprising.

The Steambow broadheads fly great to 15 yards. I did not test beyond that, but I think accuracy out to 25 and beyond is possible. I purchased a dozen. Of the six I tested, four fly very straight. The other two also landed precisely on target, but you can see a ‘spiral’ in the flight. The flight on these looks like this RA Dickey knuckleball:

https://m.imgur.com/t/gay/MbYee

Each bolt was shot four times. They are consistent in their flight characteristics.

Incidentally, the ‘iron’ sights on the Stinger are zeroed at 15 yards with my setup. So if the laser fails - which mine did, as I used an old battery - I’ll get an essentially “flat trajectory” out to 15 yards.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FA5067D9-B026-4A01-843F-D1AD8F4AF5B2.png

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy tactical crossbow family:

ABA1E878-1B7E-4859-AFCF-2C8F899F50A7.jpeg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts