Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my fist Darton crossbow, an Impact, from EBay nearly a decade ago and was immediately hooked on crossbow shooting. I chose Darton after a great deal of research AND I admit the deal on EBay was a steal. The xbow shoots as well today as it did all those years ago. I've had a custom cables and strings added and can achieve 351fps with an over 420 grain arrow. I have an older Darton scope which is dialed in perfectly. I acquired a 2015 Darton Fireforce... and fell in love all over again. The Fireforce was fast, flat shooting and easier to wield than my bullpup Impact.

Then life got complicated, money troubles, college tuitions, job issues, home issues, time issues and the crossbows sat on my basement wall accumulating no memories but plenty of dust. Last weekend I found myself alone in the house after work. A rarity. NO one wanted anything or expected anything. I looked out the kitchen window at the target still tied to my chain link fence and covered. Unused for SO LONG. I remembered the joy of shooting the simple pleasure of just taking shot after shot trying to hit each small black dot or milk jug cap. I missed that simple pleasure.

I went to the basement and wiped down my old friends taking them out to my backyard target. The lawn needed to be mowed, the hedges needed a trim, but chores could wait. I waxed the strings on both bows, lubed the rails and spent the next two hours rekindling the passion and rediscovering the joy I had set aside for too long. I 'd shot a few other xbows.. one or two shots here and there... Scorpyds, Barnett, and a few other crossbows and enjoyed them all. But there was something magical about these two older Darton models. I picked up the Impact taking several shots with my 420+ grain telephone poles. At 30 yards the bow was fast enough and accurate enough to hit the mark consistently. My brain flashed back to the first time I was out here with this same crossbow and the original red three dot scope. I spent several hours learning and sighting in, posting on this forum and gathering information plus making friends.

I rekindled a passion last weekend, a type of physical and mental therapy of cocking the bow sighting the target and squeezing the trigger; then watching with glee as the arrow landed where I aimed. A simple repetitive motion done over and over and over again until it became mechanical. But with each shot the passion and the magic burned hotter and I remembered why I bought a crossbow in the first place.

·
1,220 Posts
While I haven't done much shooting lately, I still have a "hand full" of Darton bows.
Still really like shooting my aptly named...Rebel 135.

Mike

·
1,220 Posts
Bolt..!?
The Darton crossbows are modern crossbows, they shoot arrows.
The medieval crossbows shoot bolts. A totally different animal.

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
All this talk about vintage Darton crossbows has me very excited about getting a new Darton crossbow this year. Will likely be the Toxin 150 but waiting for the ATA show

Reactions: miki
1 - 8 of 8 Posts