Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I do the same, up out of sight where it may not be noticed.
I’ve had two stolen that were up about 12 feet or so. If they want it bad enough height doesn’t matter. In my area someone has discovered my strategy of hanging them high. Once they figure out to look up high in the tree the game is over.

Too many crack heads and other low life’s out in the woods.
Bill

·
Registered
14,158 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I know that in Maine one of my nephews friends put a small gps tracker in a tree stand with hot melt glue and I guess they managed to catch a thief

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I fear putting my Stealthcam out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I always save my crappy wildgame and others that stop working and take my 4 wheeler in my properties stand on the back, and screw them to strategic trees on the perimeter. keeps them rotten thieves/trespassers thinking and after all the hard work if they want them there either empty shells or junk anyhow. keep your eye open for some a garage sales etc for 5 bucks or less. Its always a great pleasure to stick it to them.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Over 30 years ago my brother and myself had 5 acres of private land to hunt. A guy that owned 40 acres next door showed up on our spot. He called a game warden that used to live next door to him. Warden bothered us bothered us every time we hunted there.Checked our licenses and consent to hunt forms. 2 tree stands disappeared. I hung a new stand and I tig welded razor blades on tree steps about 3/4 of the way up the tree. I was approached by warden asking whose stand it was.I wasn't a Christian back then so I lied and said I don't know.The land owner that lived next door got what he deserved.
Such a sad tale that you had to go to that extent....glad you were able to get your point across......

Horns

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Multrie was stolen yesterday and I'm still Pizzed. Not only was it password protected, I had a label on it with the words, "PASSWORD PROTECTED", I also had my telephone # on it and my initials are filed inside. It was in Area 49 NJ. Only cheap ones from now on. It takes a real lowlife.
I'm so sorry to hear about this, I really feel for you man. I had my house broken into and ransacked a little over a year ago and it's the crappiest feeling in the world knowing that something you bought with your hard earned money is gone to some spineless scum bag. They'll get what's coming to them!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah, that sux

·
Registered
539 Posts
I hate reading this stuff. I have come across so many things in the woods in my life and always leave it the f***
Alone. To me it's a code that we as brothers live by. These scumbags are no brothers and no sportsman, and no hunters. They're just scum

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know its been awhile since this thread was posted.
My son and i were hunting with a group of schmucks. I found a sweet spot off this cedar swamp. I put a double stand in a group of small oaks. Shot 2 doe and 1 buck with my muzzleloader.
The next season we went to check stands and it was gone. So we put up another and chained it to the tree. My son shot a nice 7 pointer with his bow.
The next season, same thing, stand was gone. We put up a third stand and we attached to the tree using half inch wire rope. My daughter in law shot a doe.
Last season, went to check stands, not only was my stand gone, the asshokes in our hunting party, built a permanent stand. They said they were hunting in that spot now.
Long story short, this was the third spot they took over from me. Spots that i had found scouting. This was over a time frame of about seven years of hard scouting and hunting.
What would you do? Let me know what you would in this situation? I thought about demolishing all their stands. But if i did that i would be no better than them. That is not what a guy should have to deal with. After all, if i hadnt found these hunting spots, these schmucks would have nowhere to hunt. Plus they go into the deer woods a couple of days before gun season openes and they (4 of them) go trampling through the woods. Threr are thirteen of us in the party. They check everybodys stands but theirs. They leave their human scent everywhere. They throw beer can and garbage around the stands.They urinate under and around stands. ( i caught them on camera). Basically ruining everyones hunt.
I bow hunt only and am usually tagged out by gun season here in Minnesota.
I used to go to deer camp for the comorodity. Now i hunt with just my son and his wife.
These jokers made me think about giving up the sport.
We found some new property, private, 80 acres of mature, unlogged, unhunted property. We no longer have to deal with my so called friends. It is ironic, they are begging me to let them hunt this property.
I think ya all know what i told them, with a smile on my face.
To finish this story, i stopped by one of my fellow hunters homes. He has seven acres and take a guess at how many double tree stands he has up. And i'll be DAMNED if they aren't mine.
These guys are unwanted in the hunting party. They have been banned from the cabin and nobody talks to them anymore due to their actions. Not too ethical imo.
So again, what would you do?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
My actions today are different than they would have been 25 years ago. Today I would pray for them and would not hunt with them. If they knew where the new property was I would make sure the stands had my name on them and had a hidden GPS hot glued in the tubing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree. 20 years ago, it would have been on. Now i feel pity for the fools...
They do not know where our new spot is. Hopefully the neighbors to this property are cool. A guy shouldnt have to worry about your gear being stolen. But thats what the world is coming to. It is a shame.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts