Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New hunter

Just wondering how you all feel about hunting during a storm. Do the deer come out in wind & rain; specifically in Eastern NC. The Hurricane is going to be very south of me but we're still expected to get rain and some wind. Is it worth my time to sit out or is there generally little activity?

Thanks!!

·
2,785 Posts
Around these parts Deer will bed down during high wind heavy rain. But just before and right after they will be up feeding.

·
Registered
717 Posts
My experience during storms, deer lay up and wait it out, now right after a big storm, you will want to be in the stand. I hunted TX Hill Country and one year it rained for three days straight, I was sick and tired of walking in the red clay and rain seeing nothing, and the deer in the hill country are like rabbits. I gave up and came home, the next day it cleared up and my uncle called to tell me you left a day early, deer are out and are everywhere.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
717 Posts
Something else, if bow hunting during a rain storm, you are not going to be able to track your deer, the blood will be washed away in no time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something else, if bow hunting during a rain storm, you are not going to be able to track your deer, the blood will be washed away in no time.

See?! Now that is the "stuff" a newie wouldn't consider! Thank you. I guess I'll wait for the storm to pass since I'm crossbow hunting! Thanks KMC!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The most deer activity me and my brother have ever seen was immediately after a hurricane. We had no idea there were that many deer in the area we hunted. It was the most exiting evening hunt we have ever had.

Someone above mentioned rain washing the blood trail away. I've hunted in the rain and retrieved deer witn no problems. Just whack 'em where you should!

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
Around these parts Deer will bed down during high wind heavy rain. But just before and right after they will be up feeding.
Pretty much the same for me too.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
before and after a storm, after seems better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts