Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I wait for a better shot. Lost a nice 8 point one rainy day taking that shot. The rain washed out the blood trail after a couple hundred yards of tracking. He was found by another hunter 3 days later almost 1/2 mile away. It was a single lung hit I am sure.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I agree with Robert!!! Not a great shot. I lost a muley one day.....just not enough damage to put him down quickly. It was heart wrenching just to watch him wander off outta sight.....I learnt the hard way, and the buck did also, sorry to say.

But, in my defence, he had bin hit by a car already, had a front leg smashed and waving around....so I popped him with an arrow, as he was under me, at the base of a little cliff. Man, they are tough critters!!!

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
I'd let him walk if he'd already made it straight down under me and hope to get a qtering away shot. If not...there's another day.

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’m with Robert, KT, and GA on this one - avoid that shot. It looks very attractive and everyone thinks they can hit the spine, but I seen very little good and a lot of bad from that straight down shot including guys shooting their stand or worse yet, putting an arrow through their foot. In the heat of battle it’s easy to forget - at close range the path of the bolt is a couple inches lower than line of sight through the scope.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Good point, Archy! No pun intended.... at first...

That'd be hard to go home with.......'Well, ya wouldn't believe what I shot today, Hun..... uuuuummm,,,,,Just like shoot'n myself in the foot!! But for real this time! Doh!"

Seriously though! That would be nasty!!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I target the heart and prefer not to go through backbone to get to it. If you stopped putting peanut butter on your ladder, you wouldn't have that problem.:ROFLMAO: Just wait until he laps up all the PB and turns to leave; then take your quartering away shot.;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hunt a tree farm that is bordering a soybean, or corn field depending on the year. The owner of the crop fields won't allow any tresspass to recover a deer, plus if one ends up there and he finds it, he has a hissie fit.

I'm allowed to hunt the stands along that hedgerow because I use spine shots between the shoulder blades to anchor the deer, than use a finishing shot if needed, which seldom is. Have not lost one or had to bloodtrail even once.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I hunt a tree farm that is bordering a soybean, or corn field depending on the year. The owner of the crop fields won't allow any tresspass to recover a deer, plus if one ends up there and he finds it, he has a hissie fit.

I'm allowed to hunt the stands along that hedgerow because I use spine shots between the shoulder blades to anchor the deer, than use a finishing shot if needed, which seldom is. Have not lost one or had to bloodtrail even once.
Nice shoot'n then!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts