Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back of my yard borders a well drilling property . I know the owners and talked to them about me pracicing in my yard. I know the hours if thier operation and can hear when thier gate opens . I check before and during shooting. Even though there is a good amount of trees between my target to thier fence I don't shoot if thier are people there. After church a friend stopped by and wanted to shoot. I checked and all was good . He shot 4 shots and it was my turn I heard the buzzer ring and gate open. I went behind my target and looked. A guy came in and was cleaning some equipment. Even though he wasn't in line of fire I told my friend no shooting . He was mad and said I won't miss my target . What ever happened to safety . We can shoot bows anywhere we feel is safe. We have no limits on hunting distances from houses with archery but if things like this continue a lot of guys like me will lose the ability to shoot regularly and places we hunt.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
We have laws here in PA that state we have to be at least 100 yards from an occupied structure. At least I think it's 100 yards... It might be 50.... I can't remember exactly but, I always practice safety... that freind should've understood and respected your request regardless if there's laws or not.

·
9,013 Posts
I don't … miss my target either. (by much anyway...lol) Yet one day I had a string loop break and hit about 20' up a concrete wall I used to use as a fail-safe backdrop. Woulda sent that arrow into the neighbor's house/yard across the street. Crap happens.

Besides, in this Age of Outrage, seems everyone is just itching for a reason to be pissed off and make a stink over nothing. The drilling worker could have turned you shooting 180° in the opposite direction into a dramatic "he coulda been killed" crap storm. With the gutless politicians and bureaucrats looking to appease the legions of anger, there'd be a town anti-archery directive before you could say "stupidity" three times.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
It only takes a second to have a lifetime of regret.
I totally agree. Don't EVER take a chance that could lead to shooting somebody. There are other days/places to shoot.

Reactions: dynamo61 and Rit

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are right on. It was only 20 minutes later that I got a text that yard was clear. I know all of the workers. They pick up equipment and don't it it off. Chances of van arrow getting into thier yard are slim but one twig can deflect an arrow and who knows where it can go. I figure better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
The back of my yard borders a well drilling property . I know the owners and talked to them about me pracicing in my yard. I know the hours if thier operation and can hear when thier gate opens . I check before and during shooting. Even though there is a good amount of trees between my target to thier fence I don't shoot if thier are people there. After church a friend stopped by and wanted to shoot. I checked and all was good . He shot 4 shots and it was my turn I heard the buzzer ring and gate open. I went behind my target and looked. A guy came in and was cleaning some equipment. Even though he wasn't in line of fire I told my friend no shooting . He was mad and said I won't miss my target . What ever happened to safety . We can shoot bows anywhere we feel is safe. We have no limits on hunting distances from houses with archery but if things like this continue a lot of guys like me will lose the ability to shoot regularly and places we hunt.
Rit, well played sir. Kudos to your hunter safety / shooting ethics.

Reactions: Iron Duke and Rit

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I don't … miss my target either. (by much anyway...lol) Yet one day I had a string loop break and hit about 20' up a concrete wall I used to use as a fail-safe backdrop. Woulda sent that arrow into the neighbor's house/yard across the street. Crap happens.

Besides, in this Age of Outrage, seems everyone is just itching for a reason to be pissed off and make a stink over nothing. The drilling worker could have turned you shooting 180° in the opposite direction into a dramatic "he coulda been killed" crap storm. With the gutless politicians and bureaucrats looking to appease the legions of anger, there'd be a town anti-archery directive before you could say "stupidity" three times.
Duke, you couldn't have said it any better ! Are you sure you weren't an attorney in a previous life....!?!? That's so true about what you said. People..... well, alot of people these days, no everyone, run their thoughts off their emotions instead of logic. I could go on and on about this but, I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I totally agree. Don't EVER take a chance that could lead to shooting somebody. There are other days/places to shoot.
Yep, or when you don't realize you have a bad fletching and it comes off. Stranger things!

Reactions: Iron Duke and Rit

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
We have laws here in PA that state we have to be at least 100 yards from an occupied structure. At least I think it's 100 yards... It might be 50.... I can't remember exactly but, I always practice safety... that freind should've understood and respected your request regardless if there's laws or not.
Archery equipment is 50 yrds. If given permission that changes things. If your referring to safety zones.

Firearms safety zones are 150 yrds.

Every city and borough have different regulations for discharging firearms. Where I live we have no restriction.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my Country, I‘m allowed to shoot with a Crossbow on each private property. The arrows are not „allowed“ to leave that area.
So its my responsibility to take care they don‘t.
If there is a danger, I stop my Training and Go on, if its Safe. I treat my xbow like a real firearm. Safety first, so well done Rit.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Stuff can happen and it happen'd to me last week .
i went out to shoot my silver bow Raider , i sighted it in at 20 but when i shot the first shot it went high and skipped the top of the target , went through one of my land partners shed 50 yds past my target and hit his $5000 kayak ..
i felt real bad and found that ,someone turned my scope dial and i did not confirm it before i shot .
No one was hurt but it happens , people miss from time to time , you just can not shoot into the unknown !!!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Did it put a hole in his kayak?
It went through 1/2 inch t111 siding and almost went through the yak , it basically made a dent in the plastic .
A 400 fps bow with a 420 grn arrow has a lot of power !!! the arrow was in up to the tapp logo !!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts