Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just found out there is a specific hha tetra xb for the sub 1. I had no idea until I did a google search and found it on wyvern's web site. It replaces the scope rail. Very interesting option for me, that and a nice 4-16 or so sfp with ao scope sounds like it fits the bill. As I do not plan on hunting with this crossbow, low light less important. I have seen some nice scopes that fit the bill under 200.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
1,101 Posts
Someone explain to me how the HHA and the “tapes” work exactly. I have 0 clue about this setup.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The optimizer comes with a pre reference tape already installed, you turn it to zero which is as far as it'll go up lock it down & site in at 20 yards. Move to 60 yards. In the package you have a pre reference speed chart that tells you what number to turn the dial on at 60 yards according to the speed of your bow. Turning to that number it will be close enough to where you won't miss the target then you adjust the dial until you get it right (dead on) whatever number on the pre printed tape you fall on is your yardage tape to place on the dial.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That is some really cool stuff!!!! Is this the same concept that I see some guys have on vertical bows. I notice Lee Lakosky always ranges a deer right before he shoots and then turns his sight to a certain yardage. He has a single pin sight.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes they are the truth I've been using them for years now and I will not use anything else as of today. Maybe a ATN but I have no knowledge history with that sort of system but I read that farm deer spoke very highly of it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Sorry to hijack but what would be a good single point scope to pair with one? I don’t want anything giant on there. No 3D just hunting. Also with a variable power scope do you have to leave it set at a certain magnification or can you zoom on and out and keep zero? This is blowing my mind lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well on subject and off subject I have a sub 1xr and I am inquiring of the mission Pacific Tetra also I did read where they said that the Pacific tetra was not built to the same standard but I'm not touched one myself. I use single reticle multi power scope on my current standard tetra so yes you can use whatever scope suits your needs.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Sorry to hijack but what would be a good single point scope to pair with one? I don’t want anything giant on there. No 3D just hunting. Also with a variable power scope do you have to leave it set at a certain magnification or can you zoom on and out and keep zero? This is blowing my mind lol
R.Toker,

I have been using HHA for years. The following applies to the OP as well.

Yes, a single red dot sight or magnified, single CH scope is designed for this setup and it's deadly accurate. I have the Tetra XB for my Mission Sub XR and is my go to with my Sig Saur Romeo5 red dot sight. I went that route because of my Colorado hunts. Colorado mandates it (no magnified scopes for early archery season). I have used a 3-9x32 single CH scope on older HHA setups. It's scary accurate to the yard. Me, I plan to use slightly different after I sight in for my Alabama hunts. Once dialed in I set the tape at 30 yards. If I see a deer at 20 yards shoot 4" low of POA. I see a deer at 40 yards I shoot high by 4-5 inches. It's so fast and slick. Now if I have time I can dial down to the exact yardage.

Beyond the holdovers and using the yardage wheel: I have shot this setup out to 100 yards with a non magnified red dot and was blown away how accurate this is. Out to 60 yards forget about it when you use the tape wheel on the dial. Slick!!!! Even more so with a Mission specific Tetra HHA.

How it works:
1. Dial in elevation and windage turrets with your scope or red dot at 20 yards. Don't touch the Tetra wheel other than to set it at zero on the wheel.
2. Now go out to sixty yards: Know the speed of your Xbow. Estimate around OEM specs if you don't have a chrono. I have a chrono and go that route.
3. Get out to archery range or a place where you can safely shoot out to sixty yards.
4. There is an include FPS range guide to set the Tetra wheel dial to test shoot at sixty yards.. At 380-385fps for my Sub-1 XR the sixty yard the tetra wheel pin should be set at 30.
5. Shoot at sixty yards. Adjust Tetra wheel accordingling until you find the correct wheel PIN number for this distance. Once you are hitting elevation routinely DO NOT CHANGE THE WHEEL SETTING!!!!
5. After establishing elevation PIN number go to the include yardage tapes. For me it was tape #30. Now place the 60 yard mark on the tape to the 60 yard pin on the Tetra wheel. Once you install the tape you are set to the yard and it's freakin' accurate out to 100 yards.

Shoot on!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ok so after much research I had to take the plunge. I ordered the HHA for mission sub 1 XR with Hawke vantage 2-7 scope combo from Wyvern. Added the blue light for $29. I hate to switch mid season but what the heck. See what happens

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Ok so after much research I had to take the plunge. I ordered the HHA for mission sub 1 XR with Hawke vantage 2-7 scope combo from Wyvern. Added the blue light for $29. I hate to switch mid season but what the heck. See what happens
You will be impressed. Good luck!

Reactions: R. Toker

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Just some added context. The Mission XB Tetra sits lower when you replace MIssion's picatinny scope rail. As a result I had to go up on the tape number to compensate the scope/sight height vs my older HHA Optimizer that was mounted on my Mission Sub-1 XR scope rail. Initially it vexed me regarding the tape difference but then figured it out that the scope/sight sits lower and you have to adjust the tape accordingly.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Just some added context. The Mission XB Tetra sits lower when you replace MIssion's picatinny scope rail. As a result I had to go up on the tape number to compensate the scope/sight height vs my older HHA Optimizer that was mounted on my Mission Sub-1 XR scope rail. Initially it vexed me regarding the tape difference but then figured it out that the scope/sight sits lower and you have to adjust the tape accordingly.
Since we will be starting from zero this won’t apply to us I assume. Just as long as we follow the sight in instructions as directed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone experience of using the XB Terra when shooting left handed? Can it be reversed? I doubt not. Would it block the right eye view of the level too (assuming hte level is on the right, ie for LH shooting). I really like the idea however Im not going to splash out if it is not compatible with my shooting.

·
1,132 Posts
Has anyone experience of using the XB Terra when shooting left handed? Can it be reversed? I doubt not. Would it block the right eye view of the level too (assuming hte level is on the right, ie for LH shooting). I really like the idea however Im not going to splash out if it is not compatible with my shooting.
It is not reversible. As to blocking the level, I don’t think it would. But can’t say for sure.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Mine has shipped from Wyvern so I should have it within the next few days. I’ll post an update

·
1,132 Posts
Reactions: R. Toker
1 - 20 of 28 Posts