Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second morning of our bow season, have only had pics of 3 deer on my trail cameras in this spot. Yesterday I saw 3 deer, a very young doe, a button buck and a spike. Passed on all three. This morning the young doe returned, and then a button buck between 7-7:30am. Around 8:42am I spotted more deer movement, and it was a doe fawn and a button buck. I watched them with my binocs as they slowly worked their way towards me, just for something to look at. They kept staring directly in front of them which was toward my right. Glancing to my right I see a decent buck walking towards them. Binocs up, 8pt, binocs down SWAT comes up and gets on the buck. He stopped with a branch filled with leaves between us, don't they always.

I glanced at the path he would have to take, and verified the yardage. Yup, 30 yds, step out past that branch and your mine. He did, I shot, all 3 deer took off running. I watched him go left, then right and down into the tall grass in the swampy creek ditch, and heard a crash. Climbing down, recocking the bow, removing heavy clothing and grabbing my camera I went to find hair, blood and my arrow. He walked right in front of the camera, maybe I'll have a pic of the arrow impact.

Found blood right off and marked it. Never did find hair or my arrow, but figured I track the blood trail and look for the arrow later. Tracking was slow but steady as there wasn't as much blood as I expected, but after about 200 yds of zigging and zagging and through the creek I noticed the white belly.

Yup double lung but on the high side, explains the less than average blood trail. I had my doubts about the hit after about 50 yds when I didn't see the" water hose" blood trail. I dragged him out of the swampy area onto solid ground and at that point my son texted me to see if I needed help. Why sure, you're 30 yrs younger than me, get over here!

We both looked for hair after getting the deer up to the stand, still found none, but I knew the arrow had to be hiding in the tall grass beyond where the deer stood. The ground also falls away, so I started sweeping the grass about 15 yds back, and within a couple of minutes found the arrow. It was near wiped clean of blood after going through all that grass.

I proceeded to go to the truck with my gear and return with the game cart. Makes life so much easier when they are useable. Getting the deer on the cart, to the truck, home to change and then on to the meat cutter. Shot the deer at 8:54am, unloaded the deer at the meat cutter at 1:44pm.

Returning home my son went out for the afternoon hunt and I also. I could have tagged out for bucks this PM with a nice 5 pt, but I hold out for another 8 or more. But the fact of the matter is, I could have killed the 5 pt.

Long post, so here is the picture I took of us.
IMG-3922 labeled.jpg

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Nicely done, Vag!!! Grats too you sir!! I hope to do somethin similar with my Swat and TGs!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Congratulations, good job!

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I could have tagged out for bucks that evening at 6:05pm. Had a 5pt at 37 yds broadside, but as I'm waiting for another 8pt or larger, he got a walk. I'm really just trying to shoot does now, but yet to see an adult doe. Same thing as last year, no adult does. Leaving the stand this morning the acorns were falling like hail, so maybe the deer will notice and start coming in to my setup.

I don't know why it posted 2 pics, I only uploaded one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Second morning of our bow season, have only had pics of 3 deer on my trail cameras in this spot. Yesterday I saw 3 deer, a very young doe, a button buck and a spike. Passed on all three. This morning the young doe returned, and then a button buck between 7-7:30am. Around 8:42am I spotted more deer movement, and it was a doe fawn and a button buck. I watched them with my binocs as they slowly worked their way towards me, just for something to look at. They kept staring directly in front of them which was toward my right. Glancing to my right I see a decent buck walking towards them. Binocs up, 8pt, binocs down SWAT comes up and gets on the buck. He stopped with a branch filled with leaves between us, don't they always.

I glanced at the path he would have to take, and verified the yardage. Yup, 30 yds, step out past that branch and your mine. He did, I shot, all 3 deer took off running. I watched him go left, then right and down into the tall grass in the swampy creek ditch, and heard a crash. Climbing down, recocking the bow, removing heavy clothing and grabbing my camera I went to find hair, blood and my arrow. He walked right in front of the camera, maybe I'll have a pic of the arrow impact.

Found blood right off and marked it. Never did find hair or my arrow, but figured I track the blood trail and look for the arrow later. Tracking was slow but steady as there wasn't as much blood as I expected, but after about 200 yds of zigging and zagging and through the creek I noticed the white belly.

Yup double lung but on the high side, explains the less than average blood trail. I had my doubts about the hit after about 50 yds when I didn't see the" water hose" blood trail. I dragged him out of the swampy area onto solid ground and at that point my son texted me to see if I needed help. Why sure, you're 30 yrs younger than me, get over here!

We both looked for hair after getting the deer up to the stand, still found none, but I knew the arrow had to be hiding in the tall grass beyond where the deer stood. The ground also falls away, so I started sweeping the grass about 15 yds back, and within a couple of minutes found the arrow. It was near wiped clean of blood after going through all that grass.

I proceeded to go to the truck with my gear and return with the game cart. Makes life so much easier when they are useable. Getting the deer on the cart, to the truck, home to change and then on to the meat cutter. Shot the deer at 8:54am, unloaded the deer at the meat cutter at 1:44pm.

Returning home my son went out for the afternoon hunt and I also. I could have tagged out for bucks this PM with a nice 5 pt, but I hold out for another 8 or more. But the fact of the matter is, I could have killed the 5 pt.

Long post, so here is the picture I took of us.
View attachment 185472 View attachment 185472
Nice Buck
Bob
Congratulations sir

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Good job vaguru. That's a nice one. Congrats.:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats on your buck and a nice recovery, hopefully another big one will give you another shot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts