Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have found the perfect head for me. I had it narrowed down to three heads, Tru Glo Titanium x, Sever 2.1, and Swat Xmag. The Tru Glo was great and I took my best Muley yet with it. The only problem I had with them is you could bump the blades open on a stock. Not a huge problem but you needed to check it before a shot.
Sever 2.1 did good on a doe and large ten point buck. Both shot through the heart at less than 10 yards out of a tree and they made a death run about 100 yards. The blood wasn't the greatest as the two blade exit holes were plugged with fat. Finally shot a doe last night with the Swat Xmag and was very impressed. First let me state it was a less than perfect shot. She was quartering away at 40 yards and I hit her high taking out two ribs on the way in, top of both lungs, one more rib and through the back of the scapula on the way out. Ten yards further and the arrow was stuck in the ground. She ran 35 yards and tipped over with very good blood starting 5 yards after the hit. The exit hole on the Swat is what impressed me the most, big four blade hole that I don't think could get plugged up with fat.

Costumer service was great with them also as the the first pack I received was not sharp, called them on the phone and they took care of right away. The new ones where sharp and spun perfect. Shot one into the blob ntarget and they hit the same hole as the Sever. To me, just about any broadhead will preform good on a perfect shot. I was looking for one that would stack the odds in my favor on a less than stellar shot. Swat gets my vote so far.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Been using SWAT A4’s & now X Mags for 5 years. After trying everything else these are simply the best broad Heads I’ve ever used in term of penetration, massive entry/exit holes and blood trails a blind person could follow. Never see the need to ever change again S the SWAT X Mag is perfect for everything I hunt!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
KT: from what I have read on this site it appears the TruGlo are well liked! But I personally like the larger cut of the SWAT and it is substantial. I just haven’t found anything I don’t like about them. They just flat out do a number on the deer. Last deer I shot was a very large doe 3 days ago, she ran full speed 35 yards and just crashed. Great blood trail the entire way.

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,267 Posts
Come'n back to these BHs....Don't read further, if ya don't like overthink'n!!! LOL! :p

I keep look'n at the TruGlo 4 blade mech vs the X mag....To me, and that's just in my over analytical mind, without much real world know hows....! o_O It seems that if ya happen to hit some fairly, heavy bone, the TruGlo would maybe do better. Just the solid, chisel point, vs the thin, bladed points of the Swats....Then I keep think'n the smaller blades next in line on the TG would start to get things opening, making it easier for the full width blades come'n up right behind...!
Any thoughts or actual insights? If you're still with me!? ;) Just between these two...

Edit; Sounds like I just answered my own question, but hammer away, anyway boyzzz! :)
Hey! It's either this...or shovel'n more of the white crap on my driveway!!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
KT: Blades on the SWAT are .36 which is fairly thick, Ferule is 7075 which is supposed to be a lot tougher than the normal. I personally haven’t put one through a shoulder but I like the idea of the blades opening and staying open without pivoting. I just don’t see heavy bone being any more of a problem than any other head.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Check out the new 2020 SWAT broadheads that feature chisel point. Been shooting X mags for two years now and will not switch anytime soon. Scott Romero takes care of his customers. Great product and great customer service.

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,267 Posts
OK, chisel points got my attention!!! Where's these bad boyzzz!!!? :) Are they still aluminum ferrules though?

I'm still lean'n to the TGs, but I really wanna like these Swats. I'm a sucker for support'n small companies, especially run by vets!!! I'd make a good American, wouldn't I!? :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed to the Swat Xmag this year. I honestly don't ever see me changing they work that good. The new MOAB is an Xmag with a chisel point and a set screw to let the front blades rotate around bone if you chose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.